Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Can Box Office stream video content from Netflix, Hulu, CBS, Youtube and etc.?

Question Ho about other UPNP media servers

Has anyone played around with other media servers and maybe compiled a list of what works and what does not???

How about the one of the following:
    PS3 Media Server
    TwonkyMedia
    Nero MediaHome
    Fuppes

Can someone please share thier findings?

Thanks
    A Future PBO owner

Quote Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
    Has anyone played around with other media servers and maybe compiled a list of what works and what does not???

How about the one of the following:
    PS3 Media Server
    TwonkyMedia
    Nero MediaHome
    Fuppes

Can someone please share thier findings?

Thanks
    A Future PBO owner
    I use mediatomb (linux UPNP server) on my linux machine to stream online content like Ytube and other. Actually I ran mediatomb on the PBO for a week or so before I screw up my PBO by flashing the PM latest firmware with bootcode 16 (duh!!!). Anyhow mediatomb works fairly good for me to stream internet video's and internet radios. See this link to install on your PBO http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3560

I had a question in using mediatomb on the pbo-
    Does the mediatomb that is running on the pbo appear on the pbo's upnp list?
    What happens if you click on it?
    KA-BOOOM!?!?

But seriously, is it there?
    -wigout

Quote Originally Posted by wigout View Post
    I had a question in using mediatomb on the pbo-
    Does the mediatomb that is running on the pbo appear on the pbo's upnp list?
    What happens if you click on it?
    KA-BOOOM!?!?

But seriously, is it there?
    -wigout
    Yes it is just like if you were running it on a stand alone computer. You just go to the UPNP selection and there it is with all the content you added in the Database using the Web interface. As far as I can tell there are no diffence between running on the PBO and stand alone computer and mediatomb uses very little resources. I once downloaded a bittorent using btpd, and played a 720P video stream with mediatomb (runnig on the PBO) without missing a beat. I was rather schoked!!

EDIT: After thought; the one difference between running mediatomb on your PBO and on your PC is the transcoding. I don't think that you would be able to do any on the fly transcoding with mediatomb running on the PBO. I don't think that the PBO has the power and it's also missing the software use to do most transcoding that is FFMpeg and VLC.
    Last edited by snappy46; 05-06-2010 at 01:02 AM. Reason: After thought:

I have mine running separately on linux and the downfall is it shows a gazillion movies in a flat list. I originally took them and broke them out by genre action comedy drama and so forth but couldn't figure a way to hack the database of the mediatomb to make them back to genres. Now I'm using the acryan and tvixie and it's irrelevant as I use the straight network folder and the way it uses the tvixie is amazing.

Question media servers

Thanks for the info on Mediatomb

My problem is that i'm running Win 7 With PS3 media server which is a cool program and it works well for the PS3 but seeing that it is also a upnp server i was hoping to get the PBO hook it up to a second TV and that it will be able to play media from the same server.

Will the PBO be compatible with any upnp media servers?

If the UPNP is done correctly and the files are in a playable format that is streamed yes it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
    Thanks for the info on Mediatomb

My problem is that i'm running Win 7 With PS3 media server which is a cool program and it works well for the PS3 but seeing that it is also a upnp server i was hoping to get the PBO hook it up to a second TV and that it will be able to play media from the same server.

Will the PBO be compatible with any upnp media servers?
    As scboley stated - "If the UPNP is done correctly and the files are in a playable format that is streamed yes it should work."

I have PlayOn, XBMC, Twonkey and some aspects of Boxee working through upnp on my PBO

I'm hoping Boxee will allow their web content (ie.. Hulu, MLB, NHL, TV Shows, Movies etc...) to be enabled though upnp soon -- but I'm sure that feature is being saved for the Boxee Box when it's intruduced (I believe sometime in June)

Quote Originally Posted by gmd024 View Post
    I have PlayOn, XBMC, Twonkey and some aspects of Boxee working through upnp on my PBO

I'm hoping Boxee will allow their web content (ie.. Hulu, MLB, NHL, TV Shows, Movies etc...) to be enabled though upnp soon -- but I'm sure that feature is being saved for the Boxee Box when it's intruduced (I believe sometime in June)
    I would be very interested to know how you setup boxee to be visible as an UPNP server. I made the following changes to boxee guisettings.xml file:

Code:
    <upnp>
            <client>true</client>
            <musicshares></musicshares>
            <pictureshares></pictureshares>
            <renderer>true</renderer>
            <sep1></sep1>
            <server>true</server>
            <videoshares></videoshares>
        </upnp>
    Which should have enable the UPNP server but I could not see it on the PBO UPNP menu. Anything else I should have done.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    I would be very interested to know how you setup boxee to be visible as an UPNP server. I made the following changes to boxee guisettings.xml file:

Code:
    <upnp>
            <client>true</client>
            <sep1></sep1>
            <server>true</server>
        </upnp>
    Which should have enable the UPNP server but I could not see it on the PBO UPNP menu. Anything else I should have done.

Thanks
    Boxee apparently uses 'XBMC' as it's media serving layout because that's what shows up in the PBO's upnp as the only choice when Boxee is "on" - /XBMC:media server: (192.168.1.xxx)/ - it's the only choice to access Boxee via upnp in the PBO when Boxee is enabled/turned on, on my W7 PC/media server over my wireless N LAN

The only 'choices' after accessing it via upnp are -- Music Files, Music Library, Picture Files, Video Files and Video Labrary

I do not have anything loaded in the 'choices' listed above so there is nothing to access in Boxee (for my scenario) - because the only way I use/access Boxee is for its' web content (ie.. Hulu, YouTube, NHL, Movies etc...) --- so that's why I mentioned that I hope the Boxee App will make its' web content to be upnp enabled --- If I remember correctly, this is a 'Flash' issue with boxee/upnp at this time - and most likely will be fixed/available when the Boxee Box is released (maybe in June)

At this time the edit I did was...
    <upnp>
    <client>true</client>
    <sep1></sep1>
    <server>true</server>
    </upnp>
    ----------------------------------

I'm not sure if XBMC needs to be installed also for Boxee to be upnp capable (I doubt it) but (XBMC is also installed on my PC) - In any case as I mentioned, Boxee shows up as "XBMC" in the upnp of the PBO's GUI -- but apparently you must load some local content in order for it to play something --- which I have not done - becuase, as mentioned, all I want to get from Boxee is it's web content

Boxee released a beta version a short time ago - and it is "very impressive" as far as the web content that's available and the clarity of the resolution it offers

Hope this helps
    Last edited by gmd024; 05-06-2010 at 01:56 PM.