Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Can Box Office stream video content from Netflix, Hulu, CBS, Youtube and etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBunny View Post
    And apparently so does Asus. Based on what I've read on their forum, O!Play firmware update enabled wifi on the USB port, but then subsequent firmware removed that ability. Now you must buy the O!Play Air box instead.

However, it's actually trivial to install any subsequent AIR firmware onto the basic non-wifi model to permit a wireless b/g/n usb dongle to be used, as also explained in some threads on Asus' forum

Does this work TVersity's free trial version? Or do you need to purchase the full version?

Default Playon with Netflix on the PBO.

I had an opportunity to test a most recent release of Playon (March 2011 - sorry I didn't record the version) with one of my PBO's Rev P61 release code. I had mixed results.

Using Playon on a hardwired workstation and streaming a Netflix movie to a Wireless "G" (Patriots adapter) PBO, my video quality was very poor. I could watch a movie on a 27 inch monitor, but viewing on my 1080p projector against a 114inch screen was unacceptable. Running the same test against a hardwired PBO, I had a good enough image for my big screen. That said, here's what I learned about Playon with a PBO.

The Good:
    Setup is extremely easy. Install Playon onto a workstation or laptop, edit some logon information to Netflix, Hulu, or anyone else you may subscribe to, and you're ready to go. Open the PBO and browse to UPNP devices. Your Playon enabled workstation should be there for the browsing.

I found that if I didn't see my playon enabled workstation, I would attempt to browse my network using the PBO, and then go back to the UPNP devices, and there it was. My testing was with Netflix, and I found that configuring the PBO to NOT preview movies was helpful with Playon. I also found that configuring Playon NOT to que movies was also helpful.

Playing movies is pretty easy, and with a good connection, you should be able to watch more than Netflix right from your PBO !

The Bad:
    No subtitles in NetFlix. I couldn't get them when streaming through Playon.
    No Dolby 5.1 or DTS. Stereo only.
    No rewind in a movie. Pause, FF only.
    No Chapter selections as you find with a DVD.
    No alternate languages
    Movie handling is also irritating. Lets say I start watching a movie, stop, and decide to go back and watch it again. Unfortunately, the movie won't start at the beginning, nor will it start exactly where you left off. It starts somewhere in between. The only fix is to fast forward the movie to the end, and start over - or open your netflix account, and manually FF the movie so that you can rewatch it. Not a pleasant option, and Playon states that while Netflix can accept a "restart" command in dedicated apps, Playon functions like a browser, and treats the video stream differently...

In a nutshell, I didn't purchase Playon for use with my PBO. It streamed ok, and worked "ok" with my android as long as I was on my local WiFi LAN. To me, the overall experience was too "kludgey" to make it enjoyable to use.

Hope these comments help
    Last edited by DEKConsultingLLC; 04-04-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DEKConsultingLLC View Post
    The Bad:
    No subtitles in NetFlix. I couldn't get them when streaming through Playon.
    No Dolby 5.1 or DTS. Stereo only.
    No rewind in a movie. Pause, FF only.
    No Chapter selections as you find with a DVD.
    No alternate languages
    Movie handling is also irritating. Lets say I start watching a movie, stop, and decide to go back and watch it again. Unfortunately, the movie won't start at the beginning, nor will it start exactly where you left off. It starts somewhere in between. The only fix is to fast forward the movie to the end, and start over - or open your netflix account, and manually FF the movie so that you can rewatch it. Not a pleasant option, and Playon states that while Netflix can accept a "restart" command in dedicated apps, Playon functions like a browser, and treats the video stream differently...
    Thanks for the comments, let me just add that the well taken points above are factor of UPnP playback and PlayON, there isn't that PBO has to do with it, that said, this remains the ONLY way to get NF on the PBO currently (and the tons of other contents without a direct rss access).
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

I've been using PlayOn for a long time, maybe a year? It works fine but is sometimes a little flakey. Some videos won't play. Or I may have to jump off and back on a listing several times to get it to finally recognize the file.

This may be a repeat question, but I searched and was not able to find the answer, so I apologize if it is explained already.
    As I read all the steps above, where exactly would I install the tversity software? On the internal PBO HDD? Or on a PC on the network?
    If it's on a PC that would mean that I have to have the PC up and running to stream through the PBO?

Does anyone know if the TVersity software can be installed on a NAS instead of a PC? Because if I need a PC, then I would have to have a PC dedicated just to stream through the PBO, and if that's the case then might as well put the PC in the livingroom and connect it to the TV.

Thanks for all the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by valem View Post
    This may be a repeat question, but I searched and was not able to find the answer, so I apologize if it is explained already.
    As I read all the steps above, where exactly would I install the tversity software? On the internal PBO HDD? Or on a PC on the network?
    If it's on a PC that would mean that I have to have the PC up and running to stream through the PBO?

Does anyone know if the TVersity software can be installed on a NAS instead of a PC? Because if I need a PC, then I would have to have a PC dedicated just to stream through the PBO, and if that's the case then might as well put the PC in the livingroom and connect it to the TV.

I'm not familar with a NAS or TVersity, but I think the answer might be 'no' - But I can say that PlayOn installed and functions without issue on my Windows Home Server, which runs an Operating System (WHS) and PlayOn must be installed on an OS - hopefully someone will chime in and answer your specific NAS/TVersity question

Quote Originally Posted by valem View Post

You are correct about needing to keep your PC up and running all the time to stream to your PBO using tversity or PlayOn. As far as running Tversity on a NAS this would have to be specific to the NAS itself; I never seen any NAS running tversity but some can run mediatomb UPNP media server. Unfortunately mediatomb is not nearly as powerful as tversity/playOn and can not scrape html pages unless you build a script for it. That being said mediatomb can run quite well on the PBO so the NAS point is kind of mute. Tversity/PlayOn is better suited for those of us that have a spare computer laying around that we can use as a NAS/TorrentBox and of course UPNP server (Tversity/PlayOn/mediatomb .....). This computer is stuck away somewhere in the basement and only require dusting once in a while (computer in the living room can be quite noisy). Install a piece of software like VNC on it and everything on that computer can be done remotely ......... Sorry I regress ........

Cheers !!!