Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Box Office stream video content from Netflix, Hulu, CBS, Youtube and etc.?

Awesome post I boot up windows and was up and streaming videos and radio podcast to my PBO within 10 minutes.

I really wish that Tversity would come out with a Linux version of their software.

Please make this a sticky!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bijal View Post
    Just wanted to add few thing:

You don't need to do step f) anymore, only one codec pack is fine(CCCP).
    Do you actually still need this step if you already have other codec packs (namely K-Lite mega codec pack ?)

with Win 7 built in UPnP I have noticed some significant loss in the quality of some high def contents, I am guessing this is because of the transcoding involved in the streaming. Is that the case with TVersity too ?

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    with Win 7 built in UPnP I have noticed some significant loss in the quality of some high def contents, I am guessing this is because of the transcoding involved in the streaming. Is that the case with TVersity too ?
    Yes. Definitely play your HD through the PBO only.
    Regards,

-Ron

It's very detail. Thanks Bijal!

If I understand correctly from this thread, you have to stream from another PC to the PBO? Is there away get neflix, etc direct without another PC running? This sort defeats the purpose of the PBO for me and it's holding me back from buying one.

Any future FW update will support this?

Quote Originally Posted by sklim1 View Post
    If I understand correctly from this thread, you have to stream from another PC to the PBO? Is there away get neflix, etc direct without another PC running? This sort defeats the purpose of the PBO for me and it's holding me back from buying one.

Any future FW update will support this?
    Yes, you do understand correctly. The PBO can't access online contents standalone.

Right now, I wouldn't base any purchase decision on a probable FW update, because Patriot hasn't released any information about what does that FW update offers. Any I personally don't think it will offer any major leaps (like standalone online content access).

Here are some issues to check if PBO can not see the TVersity server:

1. Make sure that no other media server is running on the PC hosting the TVersity server. This may not be necessary in all cases. Snoop around the PC services (services.msc) to see if Windows Media Services is running, Hauppauge TV card services (or TV cards from other manufacturers), etc.

2. If there is more than one NIC or NIC like (VMWare) adapters, setup TVersity to use the IP address of the desired NIC card.

3. Make sure the TVersity.exe is a program exemption on the PC firewall.

I had to do the above to make TVersity viewable to PBO. Once I got it working, I was able to see YouTube videos I had in the TVersity library. I still have a way to go for other media to view, though.

Default Does Tversity work for RMVB files?

I couldn't seem to be able to stream RMVB files to PBO from Tversity via uPnP. PBO treats them as invalid files. It could play them fine when it gets them from the "NET" shared folders.

Quote Originally Posted by py2000 View Post
    I couldn't seem to be able to stream RMVB files to PBO from Tversity via uPnP. PBO treats them as invalid files. It could play them fine when it gets them from the "NET" shared folders.
    There are several compatibility issues reported between the PBO and uPnP servers in general (Tversity .. Win7 uPnP ..etc), try to connect to Tversity from another machine and see if you can run the RMVB. If you are successful please report it on the buglist sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    There are several compatibility issues reported between the PBO and uPnP servers in general (Tversity .. Win7 uPnP ..etc), try to connect to Tversity from another machine and see if you can run the RMVB. If you are successful please report it on the buglist sticky.
    I did a bit more research after I posted and found the "solution" under the "Additional Notes" section on this page:

http://tversity.com/download/

"6. Transcoding of some file formats require the installation of third party directshow filters that are compatible with TVersity.

* Haali Media Splitter - for OGG/OGM and Matroska.
    * Real Alternative - for Real audio and video."

So I installed Real Alternative, which prompted me to uninstall Real Media Player. After a PC reboot, I was able to stream (some) RMVB files to PBO using Tversity and uPnP. PBO still said some other RMVB files (for the same TV series as the ones that worked) were invalid files but I only quickly tested a few video files. I was under the impression that the picture quality looked worse than streaming the vidoes directly using the "NET" option even after I set compression in TVersity setting to minimum, so I kind of decided to give up on that and for now restrict using Tversity for Youtube videos only.