Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PBO Cooling Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by ivan View Post
    However, it turns out that my fan is drawing the air out of the bottom, and pushing it out of the back. Should it be doing this?
    I think thats the way its supposed to work.
    Take hot air off the chipset, hot air is already light so when helping it up it will be automatically replaced by the cold air (heavy already down) on the circulation path. If I am not mistaken I think this is the way all heat sink fans work.
    Last edited by aasoror; 12-15-2010 at 05:08 PM.
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    I think thats the way its supposed to work.
    Take hot air off the chipset, hot air is already light so when helping it up it will be automatically replaced by the cold air (heavy already down) on the circulation path. If I am not mistaken I think this is the way all heat sink fans work.
    Ah I see, I figured the fan would be able to push more air down, more than at least would be able to passively rise off of the heat sink and up to the fan. I kind of thought pushing cooler air across would work a bit better than passive circulation. But I will leave it the way it is, if that's how everyone else is doing it.

Thanks!

I seem to be in the same boat as other who have added an in-box HDD, in that the case seems to heat up to a more than comfortable external temperature. I am not so much worried about the component heat as most of them are solid state and should be able to withstand the internal operating temperatures.

I was more concerned with the external 'touch' temperature of the case while it is running.

I have read through this particular thread and see several ideas for isolating or directing the internal air, but has anyone explored the idea of bringing in external (in theory cooler) air from outside the case. Maybe by adding some holes in the external case over the intake side of the fan to increase the airflow?

Just a thought,

Rod

If you simply add a paper divider from front to back on the metal mount strip along the inner edge of the hard drive - tall enough to touch the top of the case - it sucks in outside air from the slots on the hard drive side, and exhausts it out the slots on the other side. Everything inside, and the case, stays cool.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
    If you simply add a paper divider from front to back on the metal mount strip along the inner edge of the hard drive - tall enough to touch the top of the case - it sucks in outside air from the slots on the hard drive side, and exhausts it out the slots on the other side. Everything inside, and the case, stays cool.
    +1, I think this is the absolutely must have mod. I have added the Zalman heatsinks too (just because I got them cheap from ebay).
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Thanks for the info Randy.

I will give this a go in the next couple of days when I get a chance to pull the it apart and make the divider.

Any recommendations on affixing the paper to the metal divider? I would imagine normal "scotch tape" would heat up and loose it's adhesiveness over time.

Will the mod also work with a light card board, which may hold it's shape better?

Thanks,

** Update to my original post

I was able to get my PBO apart and install the divider. I built the divider out of cardboard from and empty cereal box. It gave the divider good stability and a little extra stability to the middle of the PBO case. I have noticed that both internal and external temperatures of the box are reduced from what they previously were, but they have not been completely eliminated.

I also have a few pictures of the completed mod if anyone is interested.

Rod
    Last edited by Worlok; 01-08-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    +1, I think this is the absolutely must have mod. I have added the Zalman heatsinks too (just because I got them cheap from ebay).
    What do you use to connect the heat sink to the bottom of the board? Is there a material for this?

Quote Originally Posted by muffinb View Post
    What do you use to connect the heat sink to the bottom of the board? Is there a material for this?
    The Zalman heatsinks come with double sided thermal tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadi_oh View Post
    The main device to protect is the media processor (the device with the heatsink). If you look at the back side of the board beneath this device you will see a square patch of copper (covered in solder).This is a printed circuit board method of drawing heat from the bottom of the device via thermal vias.
    I recently tried installing a Zahlamn heatsink to this patch but unfortunately mine came with a large glob of solder on it. Sticking it directly on the glob would mean the heatsink wouldn't sit flush with the surface and it also raises it high enough to not provide the clearance needed to slide the whole assembly into the case.
    I could use a soldering iron to try and flatten out the glob of solder but problem is the whole patch acts as a large efficient heatsink which in effect takes away the heat a soldering iron generates. This in turn fails to melt the solder. I put apply even more heat to the iron but you can end up damaging the media processor connected directly to this patch.

Anyone have any ideas to flatten out this solder?

Quote Originally Posted by Worlok View Post
    ** Update to my original post

I was able to get my PBO apart and install the divider. I built the divider out of cardboard from and empty cereal box. It gave the divider good stability and a little extra stability to the middle of the PBO case. I have noticed that both internal and external temperatures of the box are reduced from what they previously were, but they have not been completely eliminated.

I also have a few pictures of the completed mod if anyone is interested.

Rod
    Did you end up using adhesive tape to hold up this cardboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Korbis View Post
    I recently tried installing a Zahlamn heatsink to this patch but unfortunately mine came with a large glob of solder on it. Sticking it directly on the glob would mean the heatsink wouldn't sit flush with the surface and it also raises it high enough to not provide the clearance needed to slide the whole assembly into the case.
    I could use a soldering iron to try and flatten out the glob of solder but problem is the whole patch acts as a large efficient heatsink which in effect takes away the heat a soldering iron generates. This in turn fails to melt the solder. I put apply even more heat to the iron but you can end up damaging the media processor connected directly to this patch.

Anyone have any ideas to flatten out this solder?

Did you end up using adhesive tape to hold up this cardboard?
    I saw this on another box office we bought. We now have 4 of these between myself and my kids. I looked at the big blob and decided it wasn't worth trying to melt it just to add the heat sink. Would probably void warranty in doing it.