Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PBO Cooling Suggestion

And that's about it. Unit is much quieter now and I think that the thermal improvements will help reliability of the devices.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dadi_oh View Post
    I am also not convinced that the fan does a whole lot the way it is configured. Most cooling systems rely on drawing cooler air from outside of the enclosure and then exhausting the hot air after it has flowed over the components inside the case. They way they have the fan on this unit is seems to just blow air around inside of the box. The added air turbulence is useful for the heatsink to do its job (preventing dead air lamination around the heatsink) but I'm not sure it does a whole lot to get the resulting hot air out of the case.
    I've been kicking these very thoughts around inthe back of my mind for a while now so its funny to see this statement tonight. And stated so eloquently too.
    My recent fix for fan noise seems to have been short lived. The noise is back same as ever. I put my hand on the PBO today after using it and it felt warm to the touch.
    I've always understood that in order to move air you had to heat it. So, without doing anything to evacuate said air, what is the point of moving it? Put another way... maybe the fan itself is the source of heat (increasing pressure inside the unit)?

Quote Originally Posted by outatouch0 View Post
    I've been kicking these very thoughts around inthe back of my mind for a while now so its funny to see this statement tonight. And stated so eloquently too.
    My recent fix for fan noise seems to have been short lived. The noise is back same as ever. I put my hand on the PBO today after using it and it felt warm to the touch.
    I've always understood that in order to move air you had to heat it. So, without doing anything to evacuate said air, what is the point of moving it? Put another way... maybe the fan itself is the source of heat (increasing pressure inside the unit)?
    The fan is only 12V @ 50mA = 600mW. And most of that power is used moving air... a small fraction of that would be dissipated as heat. So the fan itself does not add heat to the system. And the effects of pressurizing the air would also be negligible (it only has 600mW total power to do that and the difference in pressure upstream and downstream of the blades is very small... therefore very little work done using physics terms).

As a further data point I did measure the outside case temperature. With the room at 22C the case was 38C. Warm to the touch but not worrisome. I am more curious at the moment to see what the actual air temperature inside the case is. The disk is rated to 55C maximum air temperature so I would want to see some margin against that since right now it is winter here but the ambient temperature in the room will be about 5C hotter in the summer.

Once I have the data on internal air temp both with and without the fan then I will have an idea of whether I feel comfortable running the unit without the fan with a disk in there. If the only part at risk is the disk I might do that. I only paid $15 for a 160GB disk so it is practically disposable anyways

I am pretty sure I read in this forum that Patriot endorsed running without the fan if you did not have a disk in the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadi_oh View Post
    I am pretty sure I read in this forum that Patriot endorsed running without the fan if you did not have a disk in the unit.
    True, on AVS forum and numerous times here.

Default Zalman ZM-RHS1 VGA Ram Heatsink

Just got those $5 + $3.43 S&H.

I have confirmed with other buyers that the seller is sending 8 low profile ones.

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    Just got those $5 + $3.43 S&H.

I have confirmed with other buyers that the seller is sending 8 low profile ones.
    Those are the right ones. Fits beautifully on the thermal pad under the media processor. You might even want to stick them on the memory devices of the main board but I haven't verified if they fit.

Default Finalizing my thermal solution ..

I just wanted to share the latest two mods:
    - White lithium grease (following the advice here), make sure you use a paper towel to suck up the oil in fan under the sticker first. (will take couple of weeks to notice the difference as the grease will fill up the bearing slowly)
    - small bumpers, fits nicely (not to big and not to thick), raises the box so appropriate air flow is running under it now that I have the Zalamn heat sinks installed underneath the Realtek SOC. (ebayer shipped promptly and accepted my offer of $2.5 as I was looking for this to be shipped for $5 all in).

Next step is to add the two sided tape underneath the fan, but the thermal grease is doing such a nice job, this will have to wait for a while.
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

maybe a dumb question, but does the small heatsink actually touch the inside of the case? No issue or worry of shorting out the pbo?

Quote Originally Posted by Mbullionfla View Post
    maybe a dumb question, but does the small heatsink actually touch the inside of the case? No issue or worry of shorting out the pbo?
    It is better if it does make contact with the case. The heat would then get conducted both to the air by the heatsink fins and also, to the case through the metal to metal contact.

The heatsink is installed on the thermal pad at the back of the processor and is ground potential so no worries about shorting.

Default Fan - Blowing or sucking?

My hard drive heats up my PBO more than I'd like, so I tried some of the channeling mods to redirect the fan air. However, it turns out that my fan is drawing the air out of the bottom, and pushing it out of the back. Should it be doing this? Or should it be blowing the cool air into the bottom? To me, I would think it would make more sense to push air onto the circuit boards. But I could be wrong with this.

This is the mod I tried: