Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: PBO Cooling Suggestion

Hi GOOfY, I have read about the fan you applied to your pbo and on every description it says that the starting voltage is 9V. On this forum the members write that the voltage delivered to fan in pbo is 7,5V.
    My question is easy. does the lower voltage starts the fan to spin on every time you start pbo? Are there som problems with it?
    I am only afraid if I buy this fan and make a change with the original one if the performace of the new fan can assure enough air flow by comparising to the original fan. I realy like to have it quite by watching movies but not for a price of overheating the box. What is your point of view? is the air flow enough with compared to the original fan? Isnt it more safe to buy the XM2 model insted?

Thanks for your answer

Hi adamsky,

if I understod it right you buy the 12V version of the blower. The voltage delivered from pbo is 7,5V. Did you noticed some problems with the lower voltage delivered to the blower? Is the decreasing of noise lewel clearly knowable?

I am really in to make the pbo silent by watching movies but I can decide whitch fan to buy.

Thanks for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by outofmoney View Post
    Hi adamsky,

if I understod it right you buy the 12V version of the blower. The voltage delivered from pbo is 7,5V. Did you noticed some problems with the lower voltage delivered to the blower? Is the decreasing of noise lewel clearly knowable?

I am really in to make the pbo silent by watching movies but I can decide whitch fan to buy.

Thanks for your answer.
    Hi,

Actually, it was me who measured the voltage. Sorry, but I have to take my words back, because I did not disconnect the fan while taking measures. It gave me 7.5V with fan connected and 12V without one. So, you can use any 12V fan you like below 1A. There is no noise that I can hear apart of spinning HDD and airflow.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by outofmoney View Post
    My question is easy. does the lower voltage starts the fan to spin on every time you start pbo? Are there som problems with it?
    Hi outofmoney, sorry for answering that late. I visit this forum very irregular in the last time.

Of course I first tried the PBO without the case, to see if the fan works correct. And there are absoulutly no problems. I'm using the latest firmware. So there is no need to worry. The Noiseblocker XM1 is a great fan. In the meantime I also installed a piece of plastic simular to Dadi_oh's solution seen in baffle_flap.JPG‎. And I can feel a faint airflow on the back of the case.

Allready did the divider mod ages ago and have had no problems in 2 years or so but this has gotta be good to improve the life of the unit.
    Just ordered a new PBO core today so will do on both of them if I can find a similar fan.
    I think the divider mod is critical though as it forces whatever fan you fit to suck air from the hot side around the processor and pump it out the other side rather than allowing it to just recirculate inside the casing.
    Last edited by Indo57; 05-19-2012 at 07:56 AM.

I have seen a picture about the SSD heat dissipation relied on many pcs thermal pads which are thick enough to contact heat generating chipset and outer aluminum case. Heat is conducting from thermal pad to case, better than a small heatsink.
    IMG_6299_575px.jpg
    Specialized in thermal interface materials. Pads, grease, tape,adhesive, sealant etc.