Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: PBO Cooling Suggestion

Lightbulb Effective cooling mod for $5.45 + 30 min of your time

Hi everyone,

Finally, as promised, here is my mod:

• The dimension of the 12V blower is just fine for the box. Just make a small cut of the lower half of the case.

• Fix the blower on the double sided sticky tape. That's it (pic2, pic3, pic4)!

It's been about a week since I installed this blower and I'm nicely surprised by its noiseless performance and very efficient cooling. Now I can feel the real air flow from the outlet when I put my hand behind the box. Highly recommended!
    Last edited by adamsky; 10-01-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Very nice.

Thank you for sharing the information; much appreciated.

Default my cooling mods

After receiving RMAs on both my fried 2.5" internal hard drive and the PBO itself, I knew the problem was heat. I tried the "divider" and really found not much of a change in temp.

So I went to the heart of the problem, ventilation. And low and behold, when you punch a dozen holes in the top and bottom of the box, it becomes ventilated.

You can actually feel the radiant heat above the box while its running.

Divider
    Ventilation Holes

This seems like a great mod! I will buy one and try it out, thanks for posting.

Besides cutting the case a bit for fit, everything else is totally straightforward?

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by adamsky View Post
    Hi everyone,

Finally, as promised, here is my mod:

• The dimension of the 12V blower is just fine for the box. Just make a small cut of the lower half of the case.

• Fix the blower on the double sided sticky tape. That's it (pic2, pic3, pic4)!

It's been about a week since I installed this blower and I'm nicely surprised by its noiseless performance and very efficient cooling. Now I can feel the real air flow from the outlet when I put my hand behind the box. Highly recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
    This seems like a great mod! I will buy one and try it out, thanks for posting.

Besides cutting the case a bit for fit, everything else is totally straightforward?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Hi Steve,

Yep, just cut the case as shown on the picture and it'll perfectly fit inside.
    I'm still amazed how silent and efficient this blower is!!!

Good luck!

Hi adamsky,

Just 1 question- I assume you need to cut the wires and use the connector from the old fan? I just received my fan from EBay, and the connector is a little bigger than the original.

Thanks!!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by adamsky View Post
    Hi Steve,

Yep, just cut the case as shown on the picture and it'll perfectly fit inside.
    I'm still amazed how silent and efficient this blower is!!!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxmedia View Post
    Hi adamsky,

Just 1 question- I assume you need to cut the wires and use the connector from the old fan? I just received my fan from EBay, and the connector is a little bigger than the original.

Thanks!!
    Steve
    You're right, use the original fan's connector.

Cheers!

P.S. Just don't forget to respect the polarity for the fan to spin in the right direction. It should suck out the hot air from the bottom through the hole to the rear outlet of the box.
    Last edited by adamsky; 01-28-2012 at 04:14 PM. Reason: P.S.

Hi all,
    I've ordered my fan but it has not arrived yet.
    I've been looking at the photos and the photo of the "small cut" does not show me anything.
    Can you please explain what or where to cut? Sorry to be a pain.

Hi dickwyn,

The blower is made of two halfs joint together. So, if you take a closer look at the ebay photo and my "small cut" picture, you'll notice a cut that goes from left to right just beneath the suction hole and the lower half is left uncut.

Good luck!

Now I see the light, thanks for explaining. Like I said, I don't have the fan as yet.
    Otherwise it would have been clear I think.
    Thanks a lot!