Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: problem playing MKV files

  1. #1

    Default problem playing MKV files

    I just got my PBO yesterday and upgraded to latest Firmware P02. I use external Hard Disk with USB 2.0 connection. Those mkv files play fine on my PC using VLC player. When I try them on PBO and HDMI out to my LCD TV, they will stop at a specific frame (time). i.e. One file will stop at 28 seconds. If I jump to 30 seconds (using goto feature), it will continue playing the file. I have tried couple different mkv files (some 720p, some 1080p). Both 720p, 1080p have this problem. is this a result of corrupted mkv file or it is known issue playing mkv file?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Do you have subtitles enabled? For some reason my PBO freezes when I have subtitles enabled. I have to disable prior to playing the MKV files. I also have the latest P02 firmware.

  3. #3

    Default

    No subtitle and it is off.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ON, Canada
    Posts
    4,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PBOFIRSTTIMER View Post
    No subtitle and it is off.
    Does this happen with all your mkvs ..? a PC is much more tolerant to faulty and corrupted files than a standalone media player.
    If the pauses are consistent in time there is a chance those files are corrupted.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    12

    Angry .MKV problems

    I have ES-51-283G-PCMPBO25-P02 firmware. I copy .mkv files to my PBO and they seem to run just fine. then a few days later they seem to get corrupted. EG. Wizard of Oz audio appears on another .mkv movie and both are unplayable. Another tell tale sign of a screwed up .mkv file is I can only fast forward at x2.

    I have a 2.5" HD in the PBO and I also have a 1TB external drive (Different types). Happens whereever I store the movies so the issues is not the HW I bought.

    Anyone else have this problem or know what I can do to fix it ?

    Last edited by trigger8man; 01-21-2010 at 02:58 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ON, Canada
    Posts
    4,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trigger8man View Post
    I have ES-51-283G-PCMPBO25-P02 firmware. I copy .mkv files to my PBO and they seem to run just fine. then a few days later they seem to get corrupted. EG. Wizard of Oz audio appears on another .mkv movie and both are unplayable. Another tell tale sign of a screwed up .mkv file is I can only fast forward at x2.

    I have a 2.5" HD in the PBO and I also have a 1TB external drive (Different types). Happens whereever I store the movies so the issues is not the HW I bought.

    Anyone else have this problem or know what I can do to fix it ?

    OK that sounds like a messed up PBO, such problem has not been reported here before.
    Have you tried reflashing the firmware ?! I think that's the only thing you can try before emailing Patriot RMA department.

  7. #7

    Default

    Ok, my mkv file is corrupted. I have not confirmed if the corrupted file is caused by copying files to my USB hard drive.

    I did some more testing. I don't know if this is hardware or Windows 7 issue. When I copy large mkv files to USB hard drive, some of them are corrupted. They have different checksum then the original files.
    Last edited by PBOFIRSTTIMER; 01-22-2010 at 03:52 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    OK that sounds like a messed up PBO, such problem has not been reported here before.
    Have you tried reflashing the firmware ?! I think that's the only thing you can try before emailing Patriot RMA department.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I tried flashing and the unit flashes fine. But I it still happens. I reloaded a .mkv file and it went south again. Damn annoying. I notice others are having issues as well regardless of OS (Windows 7 or XP).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ON, Canada
    Posts
    4,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trigger8man View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I tried flashing and the unit flashes fine. But I it still happens. I reloaded a .mkv file and it went south again. Damn annoying. I notice others are having issues as well regardless of OS (Windows 7 or XP).
    Well, the issue you are describing is certainly unique. The issues others are having are about files that gets corrupted while being copied, or an PBO that craps out and refuse to copy files. You are describing a case where files are consistently getting copied correctly then just gets messed up after a while (not corrupted but messed up .. you are getting video from a file running on audio from another file).

    One last thing, have you tried hocking up your PBO to a PC and running the files from then internal HDD of the PBO using the PC ? (this way you will be going through the USB controller of the PBO)

    Another thing to test (if the first didn't work) is to remove the HDD and hock it up to the PC directly and try playing the same files and see if they run correctly ?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trigger8man View Post
    I have ES-51-283G-PCMPBO25-P02 firmware. I copy .mkv files to my PBO and they seem to run just fine. then a few days later they seem to get corrupted. EG. Wizard of Oz audio appears on another .mkv movie and both are unplayable. Another tell tale sign of a screwed up .mkv file is I can only fast forward at x2.

    I have a 2.5" HD in the PBO and I also have a 1TB external drive (Different types). Happens whereever I store the movies so the issues is not the HW I bought.

    Anyone else have this problem or know what I can do to fix it ?

    Hi, we don't have the same Hardware but maybe the same problems.
    I have a samsung Led and a Hard Disk Lacie , with the Lacie some files didn't play well (jumps , ) , but I connected a Laptop Hard Disk and works fine with the same files.

    The main difference is that the Laptop Hard Diks detection in the TV is very fast and Lacie Hard Disk takes a Long Time.

    Maybe my Hard Disk Lacie have problems.

    NOte : I have the same problem when Forward ; just X2 in Mkv.

    regards

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •