Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: My_Shortcuts - how to add anything?

Quote Originally Posted by darmount View Post
    Could someone please help me here I am learning. I have successfully used these commands to mount my MOVIES share on my windows 7 machine. However my PBO skips using some MKV files. I have read this is because of CIFS. People say to use NFS. What commands do I change to above to use NFS instead.

Currently: mount -t cifs //192.168.1.5/MOVIES -o username="username",password="password" /tmp/ramfs/volumes/MOVIES

What do I need to change to use NFS and will it work with windows 7 shares????
    basically same command and replace cifs with nfs.
    The issue is you will now need an NFS server running on your Win 7 machine.
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

Hoping someone can give me some insight here. I'm intending to view the PBO via a slingbox so the simpler the front end the better for me (ability to use larger font for file listing would be nice but you can't have everything...). PBO is connected to a LAN, no USB or hard drive installed. Main server is a WHS.

End goal here is to have five links in a list that can be easily selected via the Slingplayer software. (Browsing network-->Workgroup-->Server-->Videos-->Movies-->Temp-->Movie Directory--->Movie.mkv is painful)

Thanks to the instructions in this thread I edited the WHS so specific folders are shared, telnet in to the PBO and entered the following commands......

mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Dan
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Temp
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/TV
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Other
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Jukebox
    sleep 10
    mount -t cifs //192.168.0.101/Dan /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Dan -o username=acme,password=acme
    mount -t cifs //193.168.0.101/Temp /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Temp -o username=acme,password=acme
    mount -t cifs //192.168.0.101/TV /tmp/ramfs/volumes/TV -o username=acme,password=acme
    mount -t cifs //192.168.0.101/Other /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Other -o username=acme,password=acme
    mount -t cifs //192.168.0.101/Movies /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies -o username=acme,password=acme
    mount -t cifs //192.168.0.101/acme /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Jukebox -o username=acme,password=acme

Couple of issues....
    1) Major - Seems to work 'sometimes' so currently on the stock PBO 4 of the 6 created directories are working. If I reflash and re-enter commands I might get 2 or I might get 5 out of 6. Seems very flakey and unpredictable as to which ones are going to work. Also tried the Meedbo and ACPBO and get the same intermittent success. Connection once made though is solid and happily streams MKV etc
    2) Minor - The shares do not seem to connect until I use manually browse to the server via SAMBA. Any way to enter a command to force the network to come up.

Just wondered if there was a command that I was missing, if it would work better with a USB drive attached or possibly I should be using a LN command instead of making all these directory's?

Alternatively if there is a feature in the PBO or Custom firmware that would let me create these links to direct shares and have them selectable via an easy to get to list (think I saw somewhere that the MedPBO software support NFS and that lets you specify a directory) then suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Tolax

I am trying to simplify the links on the PBO GUI doing the following:

Code:
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/NewTV
    sleep 10
    mount -t cifs //192.168.1.67/TV /tmp/ramfs/volumes/NewTV -o user=xxxx,password=xxxx
    ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/Movies /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
    ln -s /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/tv /tmp/ramfs/volumes/TV
    The New TV and any other CIFS link I try works, but I'm also trying to create some symbolic links to the USB drive I have attached to the PBO and other subdirectories on the HDD. Any advice on why they aren't working?

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
    I am trying to simplify the links on the PBO GUI doing the following:

Code:
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/NewTV
    sleep 10
    mount -t cifs //192.168.1.67/TV /tmp/ramfs/volumes/NewTV -o user=xxxx,password=xxxx
    ln -s /tmp/usbmounts/sdb1/Movies /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
    ln -s /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/tv /tmp/ramfs/volumes/TV
    The New TV and any other CIFS link I try works, but I'm also trying to create some symbolic links to the USB drive I have attached to the PBO and other subdirectories on the HDD. Any advice on why they aren't working?

thanks.
    I am guessing that this is a script that is being run on start up right??? Here's some problems with your script with possible solution.

1) Do not create the directory that you are using instead let ln create them (its actually a file not a directory that is the reason why to remove a symbolic you use the command "rm" not "rmdir". Remove those lines:

2) Use ln -sf vs just -s the -f forces to overwrite the file (Directory in your case) remember everything in linux is a file even a directory (Well kind of but this is a lesson for another day). Symbolic link is a file not a directory per say.

Still not working after the suggested changes try this:

3) I do not think that your sleep command is long enough; it takes a bit of time for the USB drive/HDD to be mounted, try to increase the sleep time to 30 (increment by 10) until it works. To tell you the truth I am surprise that your CIFS mount works with only a sleep 10.

Good luck!
    Last edited by snappy46; 09-14-2011 at 05:57 PM.

That worked thanks. The sleep is enough for the USB drive. Makes sense now that I understand the ln command a little better.

Default Chinese Character Support

This is the best post ever!

I have lost my Windows 7 PC from the network for a while and did everything but still cannot get it back. I used the telnet to have a shortcut in HDD and now I can access my PC. The only problem is I cannot read any file with Chinese characters in its name. My PBO was mod with Chinese support so I could play the .mkv files with a Chinese name, through e.g. USB, or Network (when I could access the network before). But when I go into the shortcuts in HDD, these file names are not properly displayed and the files cannot be played.

I tried the iocharset=utf8 option as below but has no luck to make it work.

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.67/TV /tmp/ramfs/volumes/NewTV -o iocharset=utf8 user=xxxx, password=xxxx

Any suggestions?