Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My_Shortcuts - how to add anything?

Quote Originally Posted by olosi View Post
    Can someone explain me why till 2 days ago my shortcut was working like a charm and now it stopped?
    I did add the shortcut via "option" way to my PBO to a remote drive tat has password...
    2 days ago it started to stuck with the loading circle.
    I powered off the PBO and added the shortcut once more... Wow it worked watched the movie but next time I tried it it stuck again to the loading circle .. what could it be ?
    did you try restarting your router ?!

Quote Originally Posted by olosi View Post
    Can someone explain me why till 2 days ago my shortcut was working like a charm and now it stopped?
    I did add the shortcut via "option" way to my PBO to a remote drive tat has password...
    2 days ago it started to stuck with the loading circle.
    I powered off the PBO and added the shortcut once more... Wow it worked watched the movie but next time I tried it it stuck again to the loading circle .. what could it be ?
    If you're using DHCP, the ip address could be changing on you.

Quote Originally Posted by warzouing View Post
    Path Shortcut in PBO (some, not much, knowledge of "vi" required):

1. Share your directory and give a share name (Ex: C:\Movies, share name: Movies, D:\MP3, share name: Music, D:\Photos, share name: Photos)
    2. Telnet to your PBO whatever IP it is, user: root, no password.
    3. Edit (vi) the file /usr/local/etc/rcS and add at the end :
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
    mount -t cifs //ipaddress of PC/Movies /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Music
    mount -t cifs //ipaddress of PC/Music /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Music
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Photos
    mount -t cifs //ipaddress of PC/Photos /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Photos
    4. Save your file
    5. Issue PBO reboot command from your telnet session (This is equivalent to power off/on from the back of the unit)

Once the PBO comes back, you will be able to stream from the mentioned shares that you will see in PBO Browser, HDD under Movies, Music, Photos.
    I did this, and it created the folders on my hdd, but they were empty. And it's not a network issue, because I could access those locations the old way (going through Net).

Nice one warzouing!
    2 things I like about this...
    1. My main network shares appear on HDD, instead of the convoluted Net way
    2. You can add media from the server to your playlist now

My main network shares use authentication, so here is an example of a cifs mount when credentials are required:
    mount -t cifs //server_ip/Movies /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies -o user=my_username,password=my_password

[EDIT]
    Quote Originally Posted by Compeau View Post
    I did this, and it created the folders on my hdd, but they were empty. And it's not a network issue, because I could access those locations the old way (going through Net).
    Compeau, do your network shares need a username/password? if so try the above addition to your script
    Last edited by foxeye; 01-03-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Response to Compeau added

hmmm I want to add that I'm using the Beta firmware, I'm not using DHCP (therefore the server address is always the same) .... I tried the script above as well but it gives me empty folder on movies ....

The only reason for the folder being empty is that the mount did not happen as expected.
    What you can do is copy the mount line from your script, and run it directly from the command prompt. It should then give you some error as to why the mount was not successful.
    In my case it was because my server requires a username and password to connect to samba shares. Solutions to that listed in my previous post.

I am assuming you guys did this, but I'll mention it anyway... the part after '-t cifs' must be a case sensitive path to your server share point. in my case \\192.168.1.250\MOVIES, instead of \\192.168.1.250\Movies.

Quote Originally Posted by foxeye View Post
    Compeau, do your network shares need a username/password? if so try the above addition to your script
    Nope, and when I login through Net, it connects without needing to enter anything.

Quote Originally Posted by foxeye View Post
    The only reason for the folder being empty is that the mount did not happen as expected.
    What you can do is copy the mount line from your script, and run it directly from the command prompt. It should then give you some error as to why the mount was not successful.
    In my case it was because my server requires a username and password to connect to samba shares. Solutions to that listed in my previous post.

I am assuming you guys did this, but I'll mention it anyway... the part after '-t cifs' must be a case sensitive path to your server share point. in my case \\192.168.1.250\MOVIES, instead of \\192.168.1.250\Movies.
    I've got the right case-sensitive path. I'll try in the command line and see what happens.

When I try to mount the path, it gives me an "invalid argument", even though I'm giving it the right path (with the right capitalization). Odd.

/ # mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
    / # mount -t cifs //192.168.1.98/share/Movies /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
    mount: Mounting //192.168.1.98/share/Movies on /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies failed: Invalid argument

Quote Originally Posted by Compeau View Post
    When I try to mount the path, it gives me an "invalid argument", even though I'm giving it the right path (with the right capitalization). Odd.

/ # mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
    / # mount -t cifs //192.168.1.98/share/Movies /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
    mount: Mounting //192.168.1.98/share/Movies on /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies failed: Invalid argument
    Hmm, I got the same error initially, but mine was user/pass related. Perhaps try putting --verbose at the end and see if it pops up more info.

Hi folks,

I'm not sure if this will help anyone else, but I was also running into an issue where upon rebooting (either via reboot through telnet, or a hard boot of the device), the mount I created would appear under "HDD", but it was empty. I could manually mount the share after rebooting and all of the directories/files would appear.

I went and added a short sleep command between creating the mount point, and mounting the remote file system, and now it works perfectly. I've removed, and re-added the sleep command, with reboots in between a couple times to confirm the behaviour.

Here is the bottom of my /usr/local/etc/rcS file for your reference.

mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Media
    sleep 10
    mount -t cifs //192.168.1.3/Media /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Media -o user=pbo,password=pbo

I hope this helps!

Darren