Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My_Shortcuts - how to add anything?

Just got my PBO yesterday and love the fact that you can access the unit via telnet. I was also very happy to find out that us Unix/Linux guys can use NFS as an alternative to CIFS:

mount -t nfs xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/exported_nfs /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Music

Note that mounting nfs mounts seem to take 20 or so seconds, so be patient. I also found out that I needed to add sleep commands between mount commands in the rcS script.

Thank you for the help on this thread, this was my one major issue with this device.

thanks!

Lightbulb

For those that are *nix challenged (like me). Here are more detailed instructions. Make sure that 'Telnet Client' is installed on your Windows machine under 'Turn Windows features on or off'. Create the shares you want in Windows. My example will use the shares "Movies", Music", and "Photos". Know what the ip address is of your PBO and your Windows machine. Verify your shares work by opening up a Windows Explorer window and in the address bar type "//10.10.10.10/Movies" and hit Enter. If you cannot find your shares, the PBO links will be empty.

Run cmd (to bring up a command prompt)

Type telnet 10.10.10.30 (or whatever the ip address of you PBO is)

Type root
    Venus login: root

Type vi /usr/local/etc/rcS (this is all case sensitive)
    / # vi /usr/local/etc/rcS

Hold in the down arrow until you get to the bottom.

Hit the End key to go to the last character of the last line.

Type i (this will put the editor into text insertion mode. Note the 'I' in the bottom left corner)

Right arrow one more time to get to the end of the line.

Hit the Enter key.

Type:
    Code:
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Music
    mkdir -p /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Photos
    sleep 10
    mount -t cifs //10.10.10.10/Movies -o username=guest /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Movies
    mount -t cifs //10.10.10.10/Music -o username=guest /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Music
    mount -t cifs //10.10.10.10/Photos -o username=guest /tmp/ramfs/volumes/Photos
    (or whatever the ip address of your Windows machine with the shared drive is)

Hit the Esc key (this will get out of insertion mode. Note the 'I' will change to a '-')
    Type :wq (which means save and quit)

Type exit (exit out of telnet)

Type exit (exit out of command prompt)

This is what I needed to do to get my Vista shares visible under the HDD on the PBO. This makes is much easier for the kids and my wife.

just curious, if you add the mkdir command to /usr/local/etc/rcS, will it try to create those directories each boot up? also, if this is a linux os is there an fstab file?

in a nutshell my thoughts are: would manually creating/mouting the dirs and editing fstab work as well?

Quote Originally Posted by samcintron View Post
    just curious, if you add the mkdir command to /usr/local/etc/rcS, will it try to create those directories each boot up? also, if this is a linux os is there an fstab file?

in a nutshell my thoughts are: would manually creating/mouting the dirs and editing fstab work as well?

Manually create and mount the file system just as good as auto mounted at boot. I found out that last night this method doesn't support unicode in filenames. but going through NET - WORKGROUP to mount a cifs file system, supports unicode. I'll try the iocharset=utf8 option later. Also wonder if mount.cifs is included.

Quote Originally Posted by supergizboy View Post
    Manually create and mount the file system just as good as auto mounted at boot.
    The problem is the OS image are reloaded each time the box is restarted (that's why changing hostname file wont survive reboots), not sure about changes on fstab though. Some files like the rcS doesn't get reloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by aasoror View Post
    The problem is the OS image are reloaded each time the box is restarted (that's why changing hostname file wont survive reboots), not sure about changes on fstab though. Some files like the rcS doesn't get reloaded.
    oh.. i meant putting an entry in rcS and manually execute the mkdir and mount commands without rebooting. sorry. i think the rcS is on /usr/local/etc file system which is on a small partition on the internal hd.

edited: only downsize i see on this way is unicode it not supported. will try the iocharset=utf8 option tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by supergizboy View Post
    oh.. i meant putting an entry in rcS and manually execute the mkdir and mount commands without rebooting.
    Thats how I was testing NFS for the last couple of days .. no need to even touch the rcS if you are going that way.

this gives me a rash just reading through it all. never mind having to actually go through all these crazy steps.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroo View Post
    this gives me a rash just reading through it all. never mind having to actually go through all these crazy steps.
    every thing u need is listed step by step in post #23 my friend