Wired Network Setup Instructions
Like many, I simply want to drag and drop files across a wired network from my PC directly to the HDD on the Patriot unit.
I've taken a look at the instructions in the user manual but they really don't help users who don't have any experience setting up a network (ie:n00bs).
I know it's a lot to ask but is there any way someone could provide a thorough and complete step-by-step guide specifically relating to setting up Patriot Box Office on a wired network in Windows XP, Vista and a few other common operating systems, both with and without routers?
Is there any installation software that can accomplish this for us?
once your PBO is on the same network, you should be able to browse it as a network storage.
if you don't know how to do this, try install the transcode software. Once the software detect your PBO IP on the network, you can high visit neighbour to show the folders on PBO. Then simply drag and drop files to it should do the trick.
I plugged Box Office into my Dlink dl604 router. My PC is plugged into the router as well.
I see an IP address in the Transcode Server IP window but clicking "visit Neighbor" causes a dialog box reading "Open Host Error" to pop up.
The Box Office event log shows it's connected.
I've added the shared folders to the Net Share Dialog list.
I've enabled BT and Samba in the Box Office setup menu.
I go to Wired Setup, but clicking DHCP (auto) times out.
I've updated the firmware already.
Wireless network setup?
So I've set up the wireless dongle and can now browse my shared folders on my PC (WindowsXP)
I'd like to know how the heck to set up the Box Office so I can browse the HDD files from my PC using Windows Explorer.
The PC is hardwired to a Linksys WRT54GL router, broadcasting the SSID and I'm using a WEP key in Mixed mode.
I can't see the PBO in my workgroup and the IP Address listed under the Transcode Server's "Service" tab points to 192.168.1.101
How can I set up my PC to drag and drop files to the HDD on the PBO without using the Transcode Server software?
Step by step instructions would be helpful.
No need for "Transcode Server"
1. make sure that the PBO has access to you network (i.e. you can access files on you XP computer using the PBO).
2. note the IP currently associated to the PBO (going to options -> network) : assuming its w.x.y.z
3. on you XP machine go to "My Network Places"
4. from the side bar click on "Show icons for networked UPnP devices".
5. Now check for a new folder appearing with the name "hdd1 on Samba 3.0.23c (Venus)", double click on it and you are done.
If 5 didn't work for you try those alternatives :
5. from windows explorer type on the address bar : "\\venus\" or "\\venus\hdd1" press enter.
5. from windows explorer type on the address bar : "\\w.x.y.z\hdd1" or "\\w.x.y.z" and press enter.
This should work for you without the need to install any additional software. I am not sure whether you have more than one computer or not, but it would be a good idea to make sure that your XP computer can see shared folders on other computers on the same network.
Tags for this Thread