Thread: Arabic (non-unicode) SRT subtitles

Question Arabic (non-unicode) SRT subtitles

As per "PatriotBoxOffice" reply on the avs forum, there was a confirmation that Arabic subtitles should display correctly on the PBO. (on of the drivers to my purchase decision).

I just found out there is no Arabic support for the SRT subtitles (Arabic is non-unicode like most Eastern alphabets), Any chance for that to be included in the final firmware ? or is it already supported and I am missing something ?

Thanks

Since Arabic srt subtitle is not supported, you can work around by using idx/sub subtitle. I do not speak/write Arabic, so forgive me if I make some mistakes. Here is the way you might do:
    1. Convert your srt into Windows code page 1256 (CP-1256). I believe you can search and find out programs in your language which do that job. It may turn out with weird characters but don't worry.
    2.Load that subtitle into txt2vobsub (a free program), set Font Charset=ARABIC, Color Option= PC only, Output language=ar ARABIC, all the rest you make your choice, then Generate Vobsub. It takes about 2-3 minutes to create 2 files: idx and sub with the same name.
    3. Put those idx and sub (very important=the same name with your movie) into the same folder with the movie.
    4.When playing with PBO, use the remote, press the subtitle key, then Enter key (center key of navigation keys) to make subtitle language line (top of the box) becoming brighter, then use arrow keys (up & down) to find Arabic(vobsub), then enter to make the line dimmer. Then press subtitle key again to get out the box. That's it!
    5.If you use Subtitle Creator to create idx/sub, those subtitles won't show up with PBO.
    It's seems complicated in the first look. But when you get used to it, it takes just about 5-10 minutes to convert a srt sub to idx/sub subtitle.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanN View Post
    Since Arabic srt subtitle is not supported, you can work around by using idx/sub subtitle. I do not speak/write Arabic, so forgive me if I make some mistakes. Here is the way you might do:
    1. Convert your srt into Windows code page 1256 (CP-1256). I believe you can search and find out programs in your language which do that job. It may turn out with weird characters but don't worry.
    2.Load that subtitle into txt2vobsub (a free program), set Font Charset=ARABIC, Color Option= PC only, Output language=ar ARABIC, all the rest you make your choice, then Generate Vobsub. It takes about 2-3 minutes to create 2 files: idx and sub with the same name.
    3. Put those idx and sub (very important=the same name with your movie) into the same folder with the movie.
    4.When playing with PBO, use the remote, press the subtitle key, then Enter key (center key of navigation keys) to make subtitle language line (top of the box) becoming brighter, then use arrow keys (up & down) to find Arabic(vobsub), then enter to make the line dimmer. Then press subtitle key again to get out the box. That's it!
    5.If you use Subtitle Creator to create idx/sub, those subtitles won't show up with PBO.
    It's seems complicated in the first look. But when you get used to it, it takes just about 5-10 minutes to convert a srt sub to idx/sub subtitle.
    - Thanks for the prompt reply, I was just checking your post at the other thread
    - This is certainly the way to go if Patriot ended up not to include Arabic character set, its just I was under the impression its already included (as per the avs thread), I am not sure why would the idx/sub created with Subtitle Creator wont work, these are just sets of timestamped bmps (thats why they are impossible to edit once created AFAIK). Either ways, once you get use to the convenience of SRT (readily available, easy to edit) it hard to go back to working on idx/sub ....

PATRIOT ... hear my pain .. include the character set ..

DeanN .. you are the man , thanks for the thorough reply

okay.. i am not sure about arabic.. but i'll check if we can get them build in.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_CJ View Post
    Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_CJ View Post
    Any updates about that CJ ?

Since we are dusting off our old unfulfilled wishes,
    I think its time to request Arabic encoded subs support once more (UTF-8 isn't working for that) .
    Thanks,
    [*]Still new..? check the wiki. [*]Your shares gone for no reason ? Create a machine shortcut. [*]Trashing the G-adapter? upgrade cheaply to N. [*]Getting the hang of it? get organized .. add share shortcuts. [*]Getting sick of it ? it never hurts to rant here [*]Wishing for the time machine? give your PBO a makeover. [*]Bricked it while doing so ? unbrick it for $5[*]Not into cross flashing? keep it semi-official [*]Too lazy to read all that ? you asked for it.[*] Thank U PBO

I tried today the unofficial firmware ACRBO 5440 Euro image and the arabic worked flawlessly in srt without conversion, give it a go if you want arabic, but so you remember it's unofficial, it means no warrantry cover i assume.