Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTP into the Patriot Box?

Default FTP into the Patriot Box?

Just wondering is it possible to FTP into PBO?

Default Is there a way to FTP into the Patriot Box?

Is there a way to FTP into the Patriot box via CAT5E cable?

Reason I ask, I hate using the TV interface when trying to copy files from my PC .. I find its really really slow.

Any ideas?

No, but you can turn on SMB on the box.

then goto your PC and enter \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx of your box ip address.

this way you can SMB instead of FTP

I asked this question already but no reply. FTP is much faster.

Well, you can FTP.. sort of, but it won't be any faster (see below for why). Also, be careful with the following because you might brick the box if you don't know what you're doing.

The PBO doesn't run an FTP server such as ftpd (it doesn't even have the binary for it - the PBO's "busybox" was compiled without it) but if you log in (telnet to it's IP from a cmd window, login as "root", no password) you can use the "ftpget" and "ftpput" commands (also part of busybox) to ftp files from another FTP server somewhere else on your LAN (or out on the Internet!) down to the PBO.

The trick is finding space to store the file you're downloading. I have an external USB drive attached to my PBO and I was able to cd to a mountpoint for it (/mnt/usbmounts/something) but it was mounted as a read-only filesystem so I couldn't ftp a file down to it. I didn't want to venture into unmounting and remounting read-write so I just picked a small file that would fit in RAM and FTP'd it down into the solid state memory in the box. If you have an internal HDD or SDD it might be more doable. I don't.

The file I FTP'd was about 30 MB and it took about 9 seconds to DL, which works out to.. you guessed it.. the same 25 Mbps everyone seems to be getting when streaming and using the built-in file copy utility. Again, it appears to be the PBO network NIC or stack that is the bottleneck on transfers (I'm on a 100 Mbps LAN). Using FTP doesn't get around that.

Edit:
    After a bit more hacking I got my external USB drive remounted as read-write:
    (attach USB drive, then telnet to PBO's IP, login as root)
    /# mount
    /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on /tmp/usbmounts/sda1 type ufsd (ro,nodiratime)

This shows the USB drive is mounted as /tmp/usbmounts/sda1 but as read only ("ro"). So, remount it read-write:
    /# mount -o remount -o rw -t ufsd /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /tmp/usbmounts/sda1

Then see how it's mounted now:
    /# mount
    /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 on /tmp/usbmounts/sda1 type ufsd (rw,nodiratime)

Cd to the drive and create a file, and make sure it shows up:
    /# cd /tmp/usbmounts/sda1
    /# touch testfile.txt
    /# ls -1
    testfile.txt

So if you do this, then cd to the USB drive, then use "ftpget" to ftp down a file, you can probably make this work. But again, it won't be any faster than using samba because the PBO's network interface is the bottleneck, not the transfer protocol.
    Last edited by Toolin; 12-15-2009 at 03:20 AM.

Default Simple FTP server on PBO

On request I tried to figure out how to do FTP server on the PBO. This is what I have managed:
    PBO uses BusyBox v1.1.3 to facilitate most of your shell commands. The newer version of BusyBox include a simple ftp server, so I downloaded it here BusyBox v1.15.1
    (Note, I did not replace the PBO one, I downloaded a new one to the internal hdd)

Here are the steps I followed:
    Code:
    mkdir /tmp/hdd/root/sbin
    cd /tmp/hdd/root/sbin
    wget http://web.tiscali.it/snico/N200/busybox_v1.15.2_full
    mv busybox_v1.15.2_full busybox1.15.2
    for i in tcpsvd ftpd less gunzip gzip top strings; do ln -s busybox1.15.1 $i; done
    In a nutshell, I created a folder for the new Busybox to reside in, used wget to download a binary for it, renamed it and then created a few links to applets in it, like the ftpd server, less (which is more ), gzip, etc

Next I edited /usr/local/etc/profile and included the following at around line 25 ( just after pathmunge /usr/local/bin):
    pathmunge /tmp/hdd/root/sbin

This would effectively add the directory to the $PATH variable, thus making applications in it available anywhere from the command prompt
    Then a quick reboot.

Now the apps I linked before are available, most importantly tcpsvd and ftpd.

I then ran the following command:
    tcpsvd -E 0.0.0.0 21 ftpd -w /tmp/hdd/volumes/HDD1/ &

This uses tcpsvd to listen on port 21 and pass all requests to ftpd and shows the contents of the internal drive.
    To stop the server run:
    killall tcpsvd

I did not bother looking for a place to put the startup line to get it to start with the system, as I'll probably never run ftp on my PBO, but I imagine you could add that line to /usr/local/etc/profile (or rc5)

Its sure no secure ftp system (no username/password required) but for anyone who wants that type of functionality, enjoy!

again disclaimer: I did this on my PBO as a test to see if I could (on request from Console). Modifying your PBO is not recommended so do so at own risk

Next on your list... get a browser to run. Then we can make our own (better) interface, maybe based on YAMJ

Cool Browser

I agree with the browser request, it would be great if we can put some free linux browser on the internal HDD, run it and browse the internet...

Quote Originally Posted by Nugpot View Post
    I agree with the browser request, it would be great if we can put some free linux browser on the internal HDD, run it and browse the internet...
    With a browser, we can make going through movies look like this..

Sorry guys, a change like adding a browser would require changes to the GUI app run by DvdPlayer on the PBO. I have neither the knowledge, or the source code to mess with those things. Post those requests on the firmware wishlist page. This topic is for a simple FTP server that does not require tweeking anything other than writable parts of the base linux system.