Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: connect to Windows 7 PC w/o login work around.

Quote Originally Posted by Exist2Resist View Post
    @dlsolo

Do you have a home router or a professional router?
    Have you tried moving both off the switch? I know this is not a solution but worth a try.
    Is your Win7 machine added to a home group?
    I have a NetGear WNDR3700 router. Speaking of moving everything off the switch, I did that last night. I patched my PBO directly to the router and was able to see WORKGROUP and my drives right off the bat! But the problem returned when I turned off the PBO and turned it back on. After that, I have not been able to see my WORKGROUP again. This morning, I left my PBO on to see if it was a network acquisition problem. Came home and went to the NET and still no WORKGROUP. It feels like a hit or miss situation. It's driving me a little nuts. Oh well, NAS parts will be here on Friday.

And just to share, the QNAP TS-809 is the way to go if you can folk the money out! I got that, 8 RE4's in a RAID6 configuration. It's costly but in the long run, quality products, quality space, and everything located in one area. I'm sporting 10 1TB drives (6 internal 4 external usb) right now and it's ridiculous.

Thank you folks for replying back. I'm up for options, things to test, and possible solutions. Thanks again!
    PBO using beta firmware

@dlsolo

Is your Win7 machine added to a home group?
    No I am not, I have not delved into using the HOMEGROUP. My current shares are all setup correctly. I'm not sure what the HOMEGROUP option will provide. I don't want to conflict with my current shares.
    PBO using beta firmware

Well home groups should not screw up any shares you have.

Thanks to Syder for his/her workaround.

I have a Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate PC and a Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 server that both can be seen and accessed by the PBO.

In each machine, I did setup a new login that does not require a password. I made sure that new login was specifically added to each network share.

Well home groups should not screw up any shares you have.
    Okay, I'm willing to give it a shot, but curious what it will provide. That is, verses Windows Simple Sharing.

ecsaltz - Was there anything special you did to get both systems to be seen by your PBO? Did you have to do both sharing mods from the OP?
    PBO using beta firmware

Quote Originally Posted by dlsolo View Post
    Okay, I'm willing to give it a shot, but curious what it will provide. That is, verses Windows Simple Sharing.

ecsaltz - Was there anything special you did to get both systems to be seen by your PBO? Did you have to do both sharing mods from the OP?
    I did nothing special. I did do both sharing mods by the OP.

Side note: for my needs, this PBO fits the bill nicely. Also, I am using a Netgear WNDR3700 router without issue.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...08(WS.10).aspx - this will answer some questions you have for homegroups.
    Also to note that i could not share the root of the drive, it had to be a folder inside the drive. I moved my whole folder structure up.

This weekend i moved my entire network to a Gigabit switch.
    The PBO had trouble finding my win7 computer at first but after rebooting the server and the PBO a couple of times the issue resolved itself.

Default Logon?

Got the box today. Using wireless dongle to connect to my network. Can connect to network. Can see desktop of win7 computer also connected wirelessly to the network. See all the drives etc. Click on any and the box wants a Net_user_ID and a password. None of my computers have that.
    Did all the sharing stuff and the registry mods. So what do I have to do there? Maybe somebody would help please? The wife wants to watch some movies that sit on the win7 machine.
    Tanks

Yes in order to get it working on my Win7 machine I had to perform the registry tweaks.
    Follow the instructions on the first page.

Default Logon

Never mind. Did the guest route. The slowness of the menu just got me very confused.
    Thanks for looking.
    Uddok