Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: connect to Windows 7 PC w/o login work around.

Quote Originally Posted by gitaroo View Post
    found something interesting, not sure if it has been reported yet. I uninstall windows live essential on my 32 bit windows 7, and samba share started working again. So I saved the password and then I reinstall Windows live essential back. But Samba share still works and so does my windows live messenger etc. This trick only works for 32 bit windows 7.
    I've seen this mentioned elsewhere and with different media boxes - but the 'Live/SMB' issue returned after a time - maybe the returning issue was with 64 bit W7 users -- in any case I would be interested to know sometime down the road if your Live/SMB fix is still working

Thanks

I have been messing around with this "fix" for an entire day and it does not work with my setup - Win7 x64. I should not have to get a degree in computers just to be able to get my media player working. Fiddling with me network settings, messing with the registry, rebooting, etc - I shouldn't have to do this for a media player. I have also now lost the ability to even see my computer on the Patriot box now due to all the tweaking, etc.

Is Patriot going to support their customers and provide a fix for this obviously "common problem?"

Also, I had to update the firmware so that it would play the files that it claimed it could on the box!

I'm sure you're frustrated, but just an FYI - the issue is more Windows' 7 fault than it is the PBO's - there are many other media boxes having the same complications when trying to share a W7 server because of the way W7 changed it sharing scenario - refering to it as a 'common problem' is very true (among other Boxes also) - and having to update the frmw in most boxes is a way of adding features or sometimes fixing current features and it's not only specific to the PBO - I was fortunate to not have any problems when setting up the shares with my W7 PC and the PBO and to a Windows Home Server

If you've read through this W7 forum, I assume you have checked your server for any Windows Live installations which have caused sharing problems, and again this is not a specific problem only to the PBO - check in 'Programs and Features' in the control panel - and if there are any Live apps listed, try uninstalling them to see if this helps

I'm not sure about the PBO, but I know a recent version of Avast A/V blocks sharing on a couple other media boxes - iirc disableing it and/or upgrading to the most current version helped with other box's sharing issue

Maybe double check to see if your shares are set correctly 'AND' the 'security permissions' are set also

If your still having problems you might want to explain what you did to set shares and permissions and maybe someone will see a step in the procedure that was missed or needs changed

Thanks for your reply gmd024. I understand that the problem lies more with Windows 7 than PBO but it shouldn't be marketed to Windows 7 users if these known issues exist.

I will remove any Windows Live components that I can find today as I don't have a use for them anyway - just MS's way of shoving more unnecessary rubbish down our throats. I do have Avast! and will also be looking into that.

Thanks again for your input gmd024 and I will reply with details if I manage to have any luck.

Cheers!

If you have not already done so, also try using the Security Tab instead of the Sharing Tab to set up permissions and other options even if you have already done it in Sharing.

BTW: I have Windows Live installed and have no problem with the two PBO's I own.
    Last edited by noblemd; 07-21-2011 at 02:26 PM.

I am a new PBO owner and have spent the last two nights trying to figure out why my PBO was fully accessible from my Win 7 box, but neither the WORKGROUP nor network shortcut using my PC's fixed IP address would allow me to connect to the PC from the PBO. In addition to the tips in the first post, I've also looked at what mede8er and PlayOn! forums solutions was, as I tried both alternative firmwares in hope of fixing the problem.

The solution was pretty obvious (and I felt rather stupid):

a) check that the necessary services are running in Windows. In my case the 'Server' service wasn't running Automatically, which prevented the box from seeing the WORKGROUP
    b) Check that the 'File and Print Sharing' is ticked in your Network Connection settings. Even though the tip in the first post talks about enabling it in the advanced properties, if you have unticked it before (as I have as there was no need for it as I had no networked devices prior to that) then it won't be functioning and the PC will simply refuse any communication on the SMB ports.

Once both a) and b) were on, the PC became accessible from the PBO. Now the next step is to figure out why the hell the NAS is dropped randomly after an hour or so and why I am only getting 1 MB/s transfer to the box, even though they are sitting a few meters from each other without any physical obstacles and most of the Wi-Fi networks around my flat are on channels 1 and 11 (mine's on 6). Any bright tips—please let me know.

Let me share my experience on this issue.
    Win7 x64 Home Pre + Service pack 1 on 100/10 wired and wireless G.
    PBO on 100/10 only.
    Media server is a couple days old Gateway NV55S04u notebook being used as a server.
    First configure workgroup name and turn password sharing off and wireless off.
    It is dead on and can be accessed from PBOX with out any problems.
    Couple days and several reboot later.
    PBOX failed to access my media server and kept asking for login name and password and failed with any inputs.
    After half hour of debugging and found out media server was connecting to network through wireless-G.
    Turn off the wireless G and it is accessible by PBOX through 100/10 network again.

Gateway NV55S04u notebook is factory shipped with factory setup.

I removed some software I know of that is useless to me, like anti-virus...
    FYI, Window live is still there.

Do not update win 7, now I can not access win 7 from PBox.

Follow others' advise. Remove MS live essentials and solve the problem.

Somehow the update turn on the MS live essentials. Since I am in it, I remove all the MS and other bloat wares.
    Last edited by kram1689; 10-18-2011 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Do not update win 7, now I can not access win 7 from PBox.

Default Windows 7 Login Failed

A friend brought over his PBO that had stopped seeing his wired network completely (windows XP). It worked intermittantly over the last year. He never did any Firmware updates.

I have a wired network and Windows 7 (2 computers). My Western Digital Live Plus has been working flawlessly for over a year. When I connected his Box Office and went through network discovery, it found my network instantly and after clicking "browser" and then "workgroup", it found both my computers. Clicking on either one it brings up a login/password box. My wired network uses neither. I tried entering nothing and got "login failed". Then I tried "admin" and "123" and got the same. No way am I hacking my computers registry since it works perfectly with my Western Digital streamer. Windows 7 has been available since mid 2009, so why won't this streamer work (out of the box) without any hacks or tricks ? Who cares if I'm running Windows Live or whatever - this is not Microsoft's fault. I see hundreds of complaints about this problem but it seems Patriot either doesn't care or doesn't know how to fix this issue.

Unhappy "Logon Failed" - Please help.

New PBO user.
    Firmware updated
    Able to access USB drive.
    On Net, can see Workgroup, however will ask for Net User ID and Password.
    Have tried multiple combinations but unable to access.

Setup:
    Wireless router
    PC (Win 7 -64 bit) with wireless connection
    PBO with LAN wired connection
    No other devices.

Advanced Shared Settings:
    Network discovery - On
    File and Printer sharing - On
    Public folder sharing - On
    Media Streaming - On
    File Sharing Connection - 128 bit encryption
    Password Protected Sharing - Off
    Homegroup Connections - Allow windows to manage homegroup connection

I can appreciate how this is the most frustrating issue to deal with. I had no issue connected to my original Windows 7 box and was pleasantly oblivious to this little chestnut. I built a new box and couldn't believe that I could see the new machine and all the shared resources after successfully logging on but then trying to open a shared folder would fail. Spent hours combing through this forum checking on settings and trying everything that seemed to work for the other posters - nothing did. I could add/remove shares on the PC and my PBO would reflect the change but still, no matter which set of credentials I used, I couldn't actually OPEN any of the folders.

I can't believe what ended up fixing it. I just changed the name of the workgroup my Windows 7 box was in and rebooted. I believe the name itself is arbitrary (and is the only computer I have on my home network) but recommiting the information seems to have purged whatever residual setting/corruption was causing the disconnect between the share folders and the credentials being used to try to access them. I still don't see the PC in the PBO Workgroup list, but I have no issue adding shortcuts.

I could be a completely unique case and perhaps next week my problem returns, but for now, it's working. I Just wanted to add my Hail Mary to the laundry list of things that seems to rectify this issue!

Cheers.