Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSD and Anti-Virus

Default SSD and Anti-Virus

I have just purchased The Patriot Torqx m28 128gb. I already installed Windows 7 and apps (awesome,fast). Now my next step Anti-virus app. I have been reading/searching the forums and now I am confused. Some say not necessary, others say its okay but run it from a ramdisk and/or memory.

Please help

If you feel you are not capable and confident enough to protect your own computer with your intellect alone, then please, do install anti-virus.

You can install it right to the SSD and you can run it as much as you like. An SSD is a real benefit to AV since the read speeds are so high.

No need to use RAM Disk.

Antivirus IS necessary.

I have not seen any posts telling users to run antivirus from a RAMdisk and/or memory

My only concern is the writes that anti-virus/Defrag does. will it shorten the life of the SSD. I was told running a Anti-virus from ramdisk will lessen the amount of writes to the drive. This is my first SSD , I have 4 WD 300 Veloci Raptors in raid,but now jumping to SSD---> raid. I always have a Anti-virus running. Since i`m new to SSD just have concerns and want to protect my investment in SSD purchase.

I did the reading/research thing too, same results - confusion. I have a 64 GB Torqz with Win 7 x64 Professional & Microsoft Security Essentials installed - scanning once a week.

This is what I have/did, I do not offer it as the "right" thing to do.

You have nothing to worry about. Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by menlow View Post
    My only concern is the writes that anti-virus/Defrag does. will it shorten the life of the SSD. I was told running a Anti-virus from ramdisk will lessen the amount of writes to the drive. This is my first SSD , I have 4 WD 300 Veloci Raptors in raid,but now jumping to SSD---> raid. I always have a Anti-virus running. Since i`m new to SSD just have concerns and want to protect my investment in SSD purchase.
    When you say that your “only concern is the writes that anti-virus/Defrag does” it is clear that you are under the false impression that anti-virus software also defrags your disk. This is not the case. Below is a link to a white-paper by Diskeeper pointing out that the top 4 anti-virus software packages (with 90% market share) perform better if you defrag the drive prior to running antivirus scans. If antivirus scans automatically defraged the disk, this would not be the case.

http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag/anti...ite-paper.aspx

Although with a standard hard drive antivirus scans speed up if you defrag your drive first, SSD antivirus scan speeds blow standard drives speeds away without the need for a defrag. Go ahead and use antivirus software on your SSD. None of the top 4 antivirus software packages write to your whole drive as they do their antivirus scans.

I thought AV just reads the contents of the disk drive? Not write. And reads them quite fast with my ssd. AV scanning has never been such an easy / short task.

My only concern is the writes that anti-virus and Defrag programs due. will it shorten the lifespan of the SSD. This was the only question I was trying to ask.

I do know how Anti-virus and defrag programs work. I have Norton 2010 and Diskeeper 2010 just not installed until I know for sure it will not damage the SSD.(to many write to the drive will shortten its lifespan MLC 10,000 write cycles per bit versus SLC with 100,00 write per bit). The computer With the SSD is not on a network/internet . I`m using my laptop for example here posting my question.

Disable defrag, don't wory about an antivirus program scanning your computer. The only writing it should do is in the form of downloading updates. You get windows updates right? Same deal.