Thread: Patriot Magnum 64 GB - Reformat from NTFS to FAT32

Default Patriot Magnum 64 GB - Reformat from NTFS to FAT32

I purchased a Patriot Magmun 64 GB USB flash drive and immediately re-formatted it to NTFS to use with a Windows Vista machine. However, I have since decided that I also needed to use it on a Mac and thus want to format it BACK to FAT32. However, when I try to reformat it in Vista, I no longer get an option to reformat in NTFS, only FAT32 and exFAT. I tried this with a XP machine as well and still only get the same two options.

Is there a way to reformat this drive from NTFS back to FAT32?

Tony

In a Mac look for Disk Utility (Applications --> Utilities), see if the drive shows up and format to fat32 there.

Default Magnum 64GB How to Format NTFS to FAT32

Came with FAT32. Formatted to NTFS. Need to format back to FAT32 so that I can use it in my CAR system. Vista allows NTFS and exFAT (doesn't work in XP or Car) only and XP doesn't give any format option?

Hi,

So when you formatted it originally did it have the NTFS and Fat option or just NTFS? It's odd that the fat option just dissapeared.

It should be under 'optimize for performance' look under 'file system.'

http://lifehacker.com/5195783/format...-in-windows-xp

Quote Originally Posted by Tones2 View Post
    I purchased a Patriot Magmun 64 GB USB flash drive and immediately re-formatted it to NTFS to use with a Windows Vista machine. However, I have since decided that I also needed to use it on a Mac and thus want to format it BACK to FAT32. However, when I try to reformat it in Vista, I no longer get an option to reformat in NTFS, only FAT32 and exFAT. I tried this with a XP machine as well and still only get the same two options.

Is there a way to reformat this drive from NTFS back to FAT32?

Tony
    I've the same problem with you.
    I've 64GB patriot magnum, and already reformatted to NTFS.
    How to reformat back to FAT32?
    As far as I know... FAT32 max. file volume only 32GB.

To enable NTFS on your drive, right click ‘my computer’ and select ‘manage’ then open ‘device manager.’ Find your USB drive under the ‘disk drives’ heading. It should be listed as ‘generic storage device USB device’ or something similar. Right click it and select ‘properties’ then go to the ‘policies’ tab. Select the ‘optimize for performance’ option. Click ‘ok.’

To enable FAT, under Policies, select "Optimize for quick removal" and click OK.

If anything else fails, google for "GParted" and download the live CD (burn image to CD). Boot from the live CD and do any and all partitioning you like, including your thumb drives. Support includes FAT32, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, HFS and a bunch of other file systems.