Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 790i, EPP 2.0 & Viper PVS34G1600LLKN DDR3

Default 790i, EPP 2.0 & Viper PVS34G1600LLKN DDR3

For some reason my setup will not detect the EPP 2.0 settings, it states "epp 2.0 memory - not detected" in the bios. The memory is definitly made to work with EPP 2.0, but it won't detect it for some reason. I have them setup manually to the correct settings and I have run memtest for well over 24 hours with no errors, so the memory modules are just fine. Any ideas why the EPP cannot be detected? I know that I technically don't need EPP to work to still get full performance and benefits from the modules, it just bothers me that it won't detect that the modules have it. I had an older revision of this same memory and they were detected just fine, you would think that the newer revisions would also work. I have used CPU-Z to see if the profiles are actually programmed on the modules and both have 2 JEDEC profiles and 1 XMP profile, but no EPP profile...it's very strange. I know that EPP doesn't work when 4 modules are installed, but I only have these 2 in. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Roostitup; 04-06-2009 at 12:50 AM.

There Should Be A Setting In Your Bios To Enable The "Sli Ready" Or "EPP" Memory Option.

You Did Not Mention Which Specific 790I Board You Have, But They Are All Similiar.

If You Have The XFX Or EVGA 790I Ultra, There Are A Few Different Ways This Can Be Set-Up. Here Are Two Of Them.

1. Memory settings:
    set epp / sli ready to auto.
    set fsb mem ratio to auto.
    set timings to optimal.

Or

2. set epp / sli ready to expert.
    set fsb mem ratio to **unlinked**.
    enter in the mem frequency manually (2000) or whatever yours is rated to.
    set timing to expert at 9-9-9-24 2T or whatever your dimms are rated at.
    Leave All Of The Other Memory Setting To Auto.

I Prefer The Second Group.

If You Are Relitively New To The 790I Board These Settings May Help You With Initial Set-Up.

Voltage Settings:
    CPU Voltage Need To Be Set At A Minimum Of The VID (core temp will tell you the vid and stepping of your processor). I always Set Mine Up Above The Vid Due To Vdroop and Stability Issues.
    DDR Voltage Set It To The Rated Voltage Of Your Memory.
    SPP 1.4V Minimum With 4gb Memory (2x2) at 1600-2000mhz
    MCP 1.55V (up to 1.65vmax) with two or more video cards
    FSB 1.25V (no higher than 1.4 for 65nm cpu or 1.3 for 45nm cpu)

PCIE slots 1,2,3 at 100mhz
    mch at 200MHZ
    all Gtl ref voltages +05mv
    P1 (auto)
    P2 (auto)
    disable all spread spectrums
    disable all cpu features except execute disable bit and maybe virtualization technology unless you have a program that uses it.

These Settings Should Keep You From The Freezing / Lock-up Issues.
    If you Are Planning Any Overclocks, Make Sure You Have One Of the Latest Bios Updates Flashed. (Not Neccessarily The Newest, Just Something Better Than "Out Of The Box"). Some Of The 790I Boards Had Terrible Data Corruption Issues With Older Bios Revisions.
    Last edited by Lord_Hades; 04-06-2009 at 04:09 AM.
    EVGA 790I ULTRA SLI 132-CK-NF79-A1 (P07)
    QX9650 With Tuniq Tower
    Antec 900 Case
    4gb Patriot ddr3 2000mhz 9-9-9-24 2T
    3Way Sli GTX260 OCV2
    2 Raid O Seagate Sata II 640GB HD's

Hmm...I didn't have to do those settings with my previous ram modules (which are the exact same as the ones I'm currently using) to get it to say that it had detected the EPP. I just set to expert and manually set all the ram timings and it still detected the EPP. I don't have any problems with having a stable overclock just with it detecting the EPP, but thanks for the extra information.

If it helps, I have an EVGA 790i Ultra SLI w/ P08 bios and a Q9450 oced to 3.2. RAM and FSB running at 1600 set manually on expert and linked/synced. Timings are 7-7-7-20 2T set manually, advanced timings on auto. SPP @ 1.35v, MCP @ 1.5v, FSB @ 1.3v, RAM @ 1.9v, CPU Vcore @ 1.35v (auto). Everything is running VERY stable, prime95 will run litterally forever on any test and so will memtest. Temps are great, too. Just can't get the EPP to be detected, no matter what my settings are in the bios.

**I noticed that you recommend +05mv for the gtl ref voltages, but for mine core 1 & core 2 are set to -50 while core 3 & core 4 are set to 00. What is the significance of your settings? I really don't think I should change mine if it is running perfectly stable, should I? Also, I am running SLI'ed video cards with my MCP @ 1.5 and my SPP is @ 1.35 with 4 gigs and it runs great. Am I just in the lucky minority able to run my voltages lower?
    Last edited by Roostitup; 04-06-2009 at 05:00 AM.

I only posted those settings to try and help you,

If your system is stable then don't change anything.

I do not use any auto settings for voltage control, especially when overclocking.

+05mv gtl ref voltage in my experience has always smoothed everything out and seems to provide added stability for default cpu/fsb settings or mild overclocks.

1.35volts spp is probably the minimum voltage you can run safely.
    1.4volts SPP is recommended to help avoid data corruption issues with overclocks of 1600fsb or more.

As for your epp detection problem,
    Not really sure why it won't detect epp if everything is set up properly in the bios.
    Did you reset cmos when you switched the memory?
    Last edited by Lord_Hades; 04-06-2009 at 04:16 PM.
    EVGA 790I ULTRA SLI 132-CK-NF79-A1 (P07)
    QX9650 With Tuniq Tower
    Antec 900 Case
    4gb Patriot ddr3 2000mhz 9-9-9-24 2T
    3Way Sli GTX260 OCV2
    2 Raid O Seagate Sata II 640GB HD's

By reset do you mean use the jumper or just to load defaults? If so, what does resetting do that loading defaults doesn't that may help it work? I'm using the same model memory that I had in before, which confuses me even more as to why it's not detecting that they have EPP. Looking at CPU-Z info it doesn't state that an EPP is programmed in. Just XMP, the intel equivilent.

On a side note, I decided to run 4 seperate instances of prime95 blend again to be absolutly sure everything was stable. It ran for almost 24 hours without any errors...makes me feel pretty comfortable that everything is great, just no EPP detection damnit! Obviously not having EPP isn't making my system unstable, but it's just annoying.

Default Heatshield color?

Are you certain you have the PVS34G1600LLKN line with green heatshields? The non-N with Silver heatshields are the XMP ready line.

...Just want to make sure. Please let me know.

I am absolutly positive they are the 1600LLKN line. I am in contact with your engineers about the issue and will be sending them photos for confirmation. I believe that these XMP modules got mixed up with the EPP ready modules somewhere down the line. I don't think I will be sending them back under warranty though because I really don't NEED EPP, I set everything manually anyways.

Hi patriots_ben,

I have the same issue as Roostitup does. I have the PVS34G1600LLKN line with green heatshields, but EPP 2.0 is not detected.

Please refer to the following tread for details:
    http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460

Lord_Hades refers you to me. What's my next step? Do I request a replacement?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot_Ben View Post
    Are you certain you have the PVS34G1600LLKN line with green heatshields? The non-N with Silver heatshields are the XMP ready line.

...Just want to make sure. Please let me know.

Hi,

If you purchased PVS34G1600LLKN, and verified it doesn't have the EPP profile. You can send it in under the rma process to have it re-programmed.

http://www.patriotmem.com/support/rmap.jsp

Angry

I read the RMA policy and it doesn't seem to be reasonable. I bought this brand new kit of Patriots memory which is advertised to have EPP 2.0 profile, but it doesn't. Basically i didn't get what I bought. Now I have to pay for the shipping to have it RMAed and wait another three weeks (4 days for my shipping + 5 days of "reprogramming" + 4 days for shipping it back to me, a total of 14 business days) to get back what I originally paid for? We all know how much the price of computer parts can decrease in 3 weeks, right?
    Can any Patriots support/customer service staff give me a reasonable answer?