Default PVT36G1600LLK vs. ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

Hey guys,

I recently put together my latest build:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
    3 X 2GB DDR3-1600 (PVT36G1600LLK)
    2 x Seagate 500GB (RAID 0)
    EVGA GTX 260 SSC
    ANTEC Quattro 850W

Anyhow, I've assembled the machine and its components, everything has tested ok. Now when I go to install my operating system, Vista x64, The installation process is unbarably slow, i got 2 hours in before i gave up. What could cause this issue. Everything is the bios is set to auto, i havent done any overclocking at all yet, all im interested in doing is installing the OS. Why is it so slow, I believe it has something to do with the motherboard/bios and the memory. Any advice would be greately appreciated. I will overclock after i get the OS up and running.

Hi,

What are you building you raid array through? Are you using the onboard Intel? Did you make sure to install the 3rd party raid drives when it prompted to hit f6? Furthermore, do you have the raid enabled in the bios?

It can be a number of things such as: the cd/ dvd-drive going bad, or harddrive or the array build itself. To rule out the memory, can you test each stick under memtest? We will gladly replace the memory if it is the memory.

I used the onboard intel to set up the raid, and i also enabled raid in the bios. Is there something that i need to install before i even try and install the OS. Beyond configuring the raid 0 with the intel utility I never installed any driver or anything or pressed f6... Whats all that about?

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch2006 View Post
    I used the onboard intel to set up the raid, and i also enabled raid in the bios. Is there something that i need to install before i even try and install the OS. Beyond configuring the raid 0 with the intel utility I never installed any driver or anything or pressed f6... Whats all that about?
    You have to slipstream the raid drivers when installing windows on a raid array. You can download the drivers here.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Oth...y-Driver.shtml (Says MSI but should be the same southbridge as the Asus)

Extract the txt.oem file and copy it to floppy disc...

It'll prompt to you at the beginning of the installation to "press F6 to install 3rd party drivers." Hit f6 and insert the floppy. Select the ICH10r drive and you should be all set.

Asus provides a bootable DVD that'll make a floppy with the driver. Do you think that is what would be causing the ultra-slow, installation of windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Killswitch2006 View Post
    Asus provides a bootable DVD that'll make a floppy with the driver. Do you think that is what would be causing the ultra-slow, installation of windows?
    The bootable dvd might have the applicable drivers for the raid but nonetheless (from my experience) it'll usually look for drivers on a floppy so that's why I would recommend using a floppy. I haven't seen a non-floppy method of installing xp/ vista on raid.

I recall downloading the drivers once from their website and the driver was either the secondary Jmicron or Marvell one. The website I linked you with should work on a floppy.

I mean't the bootable Disk from the motherboard which contains the Drivers will actualy make a floppy with the drivers for you. Apparently however vista does not support the F6 method is that possible? Also, you cant install the raid driver until your in the windows installation and about to select a hard drive to install too. It takes me 30 minutes to get to this point... Could the issue not also be the motherboard setting the incorrect timings on the ram? thus perhaps bottlenecking the systems performance to a very slow crawl?
    Last edited by Killswitch2006; 03-17-2009 at 05:45 PM.

If it takes you than long to get to the raid install prompt then it might be defective hardware somewhere. Have you verified that the memory is good through memtest? I would also check with the motherboard manufacturer. It might be your southbridge getting too hot.