Thread: media servers help

Default media servers help

i just got my pbo alpine today and i can't get media servers to work, when i go to video, media servers it says 4 media servers found then one second later it says 4 media servers removed and it just keep doing the same thing over and over, am i missing something here? Another question i have is in order to make network share work do i have to do SD card samba thing?
    I'm very disappointed with pbo alpine, i have the old PBO and the WD TV Live and they both worked perfect right out of the box

anybody knows how to get upnp media servers like tversity or ps3mediaserver working?

I am not really sure why you are having all those issue with UPNP servers, I have no issues here using Plex media server. UPNP server should show up automatically and stay there; it even remembers them after you shutdown the PBO. Maybe you have a corrupted firmware, you could try to flash again or use another firmware and see if the problem goes away.

Network share to the PBO is again automatic and any Samba server you have running should show up in the network selection and you should be able to select them and view the content. No SD card or anything else is required other than a network connection. Maybe your network connection is being removed/disconnect after a bit; that would explain why you can not get the UPN Server/Network shares ???? I don't know.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and installed Matrix Alpha firmware to see if it would fix this problem but it didn't.

i was able to connect networkshare manually but if i turnoff the box i have to re enter all info for networkshare again when i turn it back on

upnp still doesn't work, it keeps finding the servers but it removes them in less than a second, i don't even have a chance to select a media server before it removes them

Quote Originally Posted by T-mac View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and installed Matrix Alpha firmware to see if it would fix this problem but it didn't.

i was able to connect networkshare manually but if i turnoff the box i have to re enter all info for networkshare again when i turn it back on

upnp still doesn't work, it keeps finding the servers but it removes them in less than a second, i don't even have a chance to select a media server before it removes them
    Wow !!! You got me stumped!!! I am assuming that your UPNP server works without any issues with your other players. As far as the network shares goes it does get loss when you power off the PBO and needs to be selected again on power on; I am not sure if this is what you mean by manually entering it. What provides your network shares?? NAS, window , linux share???? How do you connect to your network ??? Wired or Wireless ???? If wireless try to connect wired thru ethernet port if you can and see if that helps. I had many issues with wireless USB adapter and end up buying a powerline adapter so I can use the Ethernet port on the PBO Alpine.

It is also possible that you have a defective unit ??? I do not know.

I'll write back if I think of anything else that might be causing this problem.

Snappy

i'm connected via ethernet(wired) to my router, windows 7 pc. like i said before i have a wd tv live and old pbo core and a ps3 and they all can access networkshare and media servers work fine also.

The box where my pbo alpine came in had a refurbished sticker, i'm begining to wonder if it's defective.

One more question is it normal that when i turn on my pbo it takes close to a minute before i can see the menu? what i mean is when i turn on the box the patriot logo comes on and hangs loading for like 45 seconds before i can see the menu

Quote Originally Posted by T-mac View Post

One more question is it normal that when i turn on my pbo it takes close to a minute before i can see the menu? what i mean is when i turn on the box the patriot logo comes on and hangs loading for like 45 seconds before i can see the menu
    Yeah that's about right as far as time to boot takes especially just after a new flash/reflash.

Snappy

I give up! this box is worthless. I bought a WD and all i can say is wow, it does everything i want and more, i'm gonna try to get rid of my alpine.......wish me luck