Thread: PBO not seeing 4TB External Powered USB Drive

Hybrid View

Default PBO not seeing 4TB External Powered USB Drive

Hi all,

Maybe this is a silly question....maybe not. Unfortunately I can't search on "4tb" as it is too short a term. So I have been scouring threads looking for an answer. I'm coming close...but haven't got my answer yet.

My Seagate 4TB "Backup Plus" external powered USB 3.0 Drive is not being recognized by my PBO. It originally had pre-loaded software, but I formatted the drive. Here is what I know, or at least what I know that I don't know! :-)

1) First off, I'm not even sure if there is a limitation that does not let the PBO see 4TB drives or not. I used to have a powered 3TB WD drive with no issues. I know the 2tb limitation for internals, but couldn't find limitation for externals.
    2) Drive powers up when connected to PBO, but when it is not recognized after a minute or so, the light turns off and it seems to power down
    3) Drive was reformatted to NTFS prior to adding any files
    4) Drive is 85% full
    5) Drive is powered
    6) Easus partition manager doesn't show any weird partitions/Virtual drives. Likely because I reformatted. Only folders on 3.64TB partition are "Movies", "System Volume Information", and "$RECYCLE.BIN"
    7) Drive is recognized by WDTV no problem

Not sure if I should chalk it up to incompatibility or not, but was hoping someone on here could help.

Thanks!

No one? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Looks like support for the PBO has gone the way of the dinosaur, bro.

The PBO, according to the users manual, has support for up to 2Tb external (USB) hard drive, WHICH CAN BE INCREASED WITH FIRMWARE UPDATES. DO YOU HEAR ME SCREAMING PBO SUPPORT PEOPLE???

I have a 3Tb external drive, which worked fine on the rear USB port only until I reached a total aggregate file size of 2Tb, now that I have passed that, it keeps giving me an I/O error and shuts down, then all files are unrecognized on the drive until it's turned off and some time goes by. Then the same thing starts all over again. I can now watch a video from it for a short period of time (unpredictable) before it goes bonkers.

I find it hard to even consider any further purchases of Patriot anything with this kind of support. You'd think that when hard drives go to 6 TB or even higher, that Patriot would have had the sense to upgrade this PBO firmware, but obviously it's much more interested in selling units than suporting them for any length of time.

PATRIOT SUPPORT SUCKS.

Quote Originally Posted by quickcurrent View Post
    Looks like support for the PBO has gone the way of the dinosaur, bro.

The PBO, according to the users manual, has support for up to 2Tb external (USB) hard drive, WHICH CAN BE INCREASED WITH FIRMWAR[E UPDATES. DO YOU HEAR ME SCREAMING PBO SUPPORT PEOPLE???
    As far as I know the 2tb limit is a hardware issue not a firmware one. All players based on the RT1073 have the same issue/ limitation. Not sure if creating partition of a max size of 2tb would help???

Cheers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    As far as I know the 2tb limit is a hardware issue not a firmware one. All players based on the RT1073 have the same issue/ limitation. Not sure if creating partition of a max size of 2tb would help???

Cheers!!!
    I've read lots of things, snappy46, not sure what to believe.

1) "The 2TB issue is a hardware issue." If that were the case why would the owner's manual say what it does in the Q's and A's? Were the Patriot people ignorant about the hardware's capabilities or deliberately trying to deceive customers? Either way it's not good for Patriot in my book!

2) "The 32 bit system can only handle up to 2TB." BS. I run a desktop with a 32 bit Windows XP SP3 and have no problems whatsoever dealing with the 3TB unit hooked up to this PC. I believe whomever wrote this was confused with the 3TB limit of Windows XP 32 bit.

3) "The PBO ruined data." I've learned long ago not to use any data manipulation commands on the PBO as those functions are crappy and do in fact ruin data. I use the PBO strictly to play files, nothing else.

I prefer to believe the owner's manual is indeed correct and Patriot has not lived up to expectations, also not good for Patriot!!!

As to our friend's 4TB unit, well that's a different animal, I believe that is actually 2 2TB units in one enclosure. That is not supported by Windows XP and, I think, also not by 32 bit machines.

I am still hopeful of one day using this 3TB unit of mine fully without all the I/O error crap. At the moment I can avoid that by taking videos off of it and limiting the useage to slightly less than 2TB of data. Then the PBO Core sees and plays videos just fine. My son has a PBO Alpine an also is using a 3TB drive without issues, but I believe he has less than 2TB of data on it. Don't know what that one will do when he hits over 2TB! I've also read partioning does not work, so I won't even try. It would take too many hours to try that with all the data on this drive, all for nothing, from what I've read.

All we need is for Patriot to upgrade the software to handle the 3 TB 32 bit limit as indicated possible in the owner's manual. That would put Patriot back in my good book.

Cheers bud.

Quote Originally Posted by quickcurrent View Post
    I've read lots of things, snappy46, not sure what to believe.

1) "The 2TB issue is a hardware issue." If that were the case why would the owner's manual say what it does in the Q's and A's? Were the Patriot people ignorant about the hardware's capabilities or deliberately trying to deceive customers? Either way it's not good for Patriot in my book!

2) "The 32 bit system can only handle up to 2TB." BS. I run a desktop with a 32 bit Windows XP SP3 and have no problems whatsoever dealing with the 3TB unit hooked up to this PC. I believe whomever wrote this was confused with the 3TB limit of Windows XP 32 bit.

3) "The PBO ruined data." I've learned long ago not to use any data manipulation commands on the PBO as those functions are crappy and do in fact ruin data. I use the PBO strictly to play files, nothing else.

I prefer to believe the owner's manual is indeed correct and Patriot has not lived up to expectations, also not good for Patriot!!!

As to our friend's 4TB unit, well that's a different animal, I believe that is actually 2 2TB units in one enclosure. That is not supported by Windows XP and, I think, also not by 32 bit machines.

I am still hopeful of one day using this 3TB unit of mine fully without all the I/O error crap. At the moment I can avoid that by taking videos off of it and limiting the useage to slightly less than 2TB of data. Then the PBO Core sees and plays videos just fine. My son has a PBO Alpine an also is using a 3TB drive without issues, but I believe he has less than 2TB of data on it. Don't know what that one will do when he hits over 2TB! I've also read partioning does not work, so I won't even try. It would take too many hours to try that with all the data on this drive, all for nothing, from what I've read.

All we need is for Patriot to upgrade the software to handle the 3 TB 32 bit limit as indicated possible in the owner's manual. That would put Patriot back in my good book.

Cheers bud.
    I have a Seagate 4TB that I partitioned into 4 1TB partitions but it still does not recognize it. It has an external P/S and I waited but the drive will not come on until I plug it into the PBO but the PBO doesn't see it. Any suggestions? Thx!