Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD-WRT, Stock USB Wireless, WRT160N

Default Transfer speeds just horrible

So who has got the stock patriot dongle, PCBOWAU2-G, and has got it to work with dd-wrt? What settings? I have seen notes regarding using the mixed broadcast mode and setting the preamble to "long" instead of short- does anyone else have any settings tips?

Furthermore, has anyone got the stock dongle working with the Linksys WRT160N, flashed with dd-wrt or with stock firmware? Settings modifications?

Should I just give up on the pbo brand usb adapter?

I really want a wireless solution for the Patriot Box Office, one that will work when I take the player on travels.

-wigout
    Last edited by wigout; 02-21-2010 at 08:40 AM.

I set up a 2nd wrt160n as a bridge. The streaming still isn't working (takes forever to load, will play nothing or only spotty audio), though at least the connection isn't dropping. Getting the pbo to copy from the server is abysmally slow.

The streaming portion of this product stinks. I am ready to return it and wait for a better product.

I love the size and outputs.

The abilities of this device to network have been greatly exaggerated. This has been an expensive experience.

-wigout

Quote Originally Posted by wigout View Post
    I set up a 2nd wrt160n as a bridge. The streaming still isn't working (takes forever to load, will play nothing or only spotty audio), though at least the connection isn't dropping. Getting the pbo to copy from the server is abysmally slow.

The streaming portion of this product stinks. I am ready to return it and wait for a better product.

The abilities of this device to network have been greatly exaggerated. This has been an expensive experience.

-wigout
    Very few of us it seems got the PBO to network correctly on our fist day. For me it took a few weeks - I had to learn a lot about networking. Fortunately there are now posts on this forum that can shorten that time for you considerably. Also, there are many knowledgeable people here that can help. Give them a bit of a chance to read your thread and respond.

-wigout
    Throwing the G adapter is the first step in the right direction. using the LAN port is another step as well.

How slow is the transfer ? You should able to pull from your network to the PBO at about 3 MB/s, and push from your network to the PBO at around 5 MB/s.

One of my setups is similar to yours, I am using the Asus RT-N13U as wireless bridge for my PBO. When I am accessing the files over the network, the PBO is reporting anything between 10,xxx kbps and 19,xxx kbps. I don't really trust those numbers, but here is what I can do on my bridged PBO:

- Stream any SD contents flawlessly.
    - Stream "most" of my HD mkvs files without a problem (sizes between 4.3 GB and 8 GB ) there is occasional stutter at action (or highly detailed) scenes, but reason behind that isn't the network hardware, but rather the inefficient implementation of the PBO networking client.
    - DVD ISOs (DL 8GB) streams without a problem.
    - BR ISOs is a NO GO.

That said, my setup suffers from the typical wireless problems, mainly interference issues (connection dropped while a microwave is running next to the main router .. etc)

Here is what you can do to locate the source of the problem:
    - connect your laptop to your wrt160n bridge (at the same location where the PBO is located) and check the wireless transfer and streaming speeds.
    - while you are there, connect the PBO to the same wrt160n, and try to access shared media in your laptop, this is a "wired network" and should give you best case scenario.

-wigout

can't agree more. wireless n bridge works and I can stream hd content across net from laptop to laptop, but pbo won't stream the content ...
    the pbo is basically vapourware.

i have a WRT160N v3 and stock dongle. i'm pretty sure i was able to stream, i tested it as soon as i got it. i will reconfirm tonight.

EDIT: just tried it again and it works as well as it did with my old wrt54g router, still lags from time to time but works. wrt160n with stock firmware. just ordered the monoprice wirelss n adapter to replace the stock bo adapter, hoping it improves the performance.
    Last edited by samcintron; 02-22-2010 at 08:19 PM.

So I've checked my local network speeds. They tend to be around 20 Mbps between machines (vista laptops, ubuntu server) back and forth. Tivo copies files from server quickly, streams excellently both local network files and videos over the internet, like netflix and youtube. With DD-WRT installed on the wrt160n, I have dropped a connection on these devices less then 10 times in over a year, which has been the best experience I have had with a router of any brand or make. The bridged router, a new purchase, I tried in bridge mode the with laptop directly for twenty plus minutes, streaming videos locally and from the web. Nothing broke and it worked well.

This has been my experience with the PBO so far: It will stream nicely about one out of forty tries. Whenever it streams nicely, it seems to do so up to some random point (random, but not more than a few minutes of jumping around between files, testing speeds and such). At that mysterious point the PBO as a whole chokes and does nothing until I restart it by flipping the power switch.

The other 39 out of 40 times I can't connect at all/I can connect but it's unbearably slow in every direction over the local network/or it's tolerable pushing files to the pbo from a laptop but intolerable calling for a file from the pbo by way of the gui.

When I say slow, I am seeing speeds of 0.19 Mbps to and from the pbo- and that's by way of the laptop to the pbo, a generally faster interaction.

I will try with the laptop and pbo wired both directly to the router, and maybe try using static ips and wiring the pbo and laptop directly together, skipping the router. But everything points to the pbo basically sucking, sucking hard, at network interactions.

-wigout
    Last edited by wigout; 02-23-2010 at 03:07 AM.

seems to be about the same as what's happening with my unit. No probs between any of my other machines... PBO just can't do the job at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by black_valkyrie View Post
    seems to be about the same as what's happening with my unit. No probs between any of my other machines... PBO just can't do the job at this point.
    yes, and if we get a new GUI in March without this being fixed...

It is with reluctant joy I admit that restarting my bridged router fixed connection drops with the pbo.

I hate the technological voodoo cure of the restart but I love the technological voodoo cure of the restart.

I do not have any sort of courage to try and connect using the patriot usb wifi dongle again. As it crapped out on both my laptop and my pc, I am guessing it's Junk.

For now though, for my streaming purposes the speed is there and it works nice!

Though I wish the wifi dongle would work, it's much smaller than a bridged router cluttering up my already cluttered media center...

-Wigout