Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is the easiest way to get P020BC18-70R2 box to view Chinese TV?

Here is the link to my post on the tag_install force flashing approach:
    http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...8356#post48356

Just extract the file onto the same thrumb drive with the install.img, plug it in, and power up PBO. It will start flashing in around 30s.
    The tag_install file is 0 in size and it will be removed automatically after flashing. If it is still not working after this, I can send you the remote control file. Again, make sure you wait until it reboots into the main menu the second time before you do anything on it.

Quote Originally Posted by tourist View Post
    Here is the link to my post on the tag_install force flashing approach:
    http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...8356#post48356

Just extract the file onto the same thrumb drive with the install.img, plug it in, and power up PBO. It will start flashing in around 30s.
    The tag_install file is 0 in size and it will be removed automatically after flashing. If it is still not working after this, I can send you the remote control file. Again, make sure you wait until it reboots into the main menu the second time before you do anything on it.
    Hi tourist, thanks for the instruction. I copied the tag_install file into the USB key together with install,img from R1073isakira_irV5SP4. I plug it into the front USB port and power up the box. The firmware install starts after about 30s (saying something like install revision 303707 and then it says installation completed. About 10-15s later it says "cannot reboot from HDD" I did not touch it and the screen went blank and finally the Music ... Setup menu is displayed. Same as last time. I left the box there for an hour without touching it. I did not watch the screen the entire hour. But as far as I can tell. It stays with no change. My remote is not working. I think I need the remote file from you and the instruction on how to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by pbo_user View Post
    Hi tourist, thanks for the instruction. I copied the tag_install file into the USB key together with install,img from R1073isakira_irV5SP4. I plug it into the front USB port and power up the box. The firmware install starts after about 30s (saying something like install revision 303707 and then it says installation completed. About 10-15s later it says "cannot reboot from HDD" I did not touch it and the screen went blank and finally the Music ... Setup menu is displayed. Same as last time. I left the box there for an hour without touching it. I did not watch the screen the entire hour. But as far as I can tell. It stays with no change. My remote is not working. I think I need the remote file from you and the instruction on how to install it.
    Try this one. Just unzip it and put on the thumb drive together with the tag_install and install.img. Then power up the box to flash again. If it still does not work, I can direct you to a different firmware. Some version has the remote embedded and some don't. You don't need to re-install the remote if you are updating Universal Firmware to a newer version.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by tourist; 02-13-2013 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks, with the PBOirfake_irrp the remote works and I can get to menu page with many choices (too many to test out) under IMS. For those who are interested, after I flashed the box to P02. I have R1073isakira_irV5SP4 , tag_install and irfake_irrp on a blank USB key and patiently wait for the PBO box to reboot twice.
    I went into VST or hdpfans and trying a lot of links. I have getting a lot that says something like "can not play media file" (I am guessing because my Chinese is poor). Many of them play but choppy (stop and go). The picture quality is very good. I think the "stop and go" may be due to bandwidth. My cable high speed has 15M/1M. I think that should be good enough. I remember watching movies over internet using computer. Some sites provide an option that you can reduce to quality of the picture from HD to normal to over come bandwidth limitation. Is there any settings in PBO to do something like that ?

Great. Now you can try out all the channels. Don't worry that some channels with incompatible links (aka cannot play media file). There are many redundant sources for those media. For live channels, try hdpfans/live channel/old version. The new version is more similar to the VST ones. For TV series, VST has links to most major resources. If found one source incompatible, just move onto another one. Even with 3Mbps internet service, I can stream play most without problem and I am using a wireless N bridge for my PBO connection. Using the USB wifi dongle would have slower performance.
    Last edited by tourist; 02-17-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Thanks pbo_user and tourist, I have flashed my PBO last night and didn't need tag_install or irfake files.
    I did use R1073isakira_irV5SP5fix, and like pbo_user stated, a lot of streams I tried didn't work. Would it be better to have a subscription to something like hidemyip?

tourist, are you using another f/w?

These are for my in-laws mainly so I want to make it as user friendly as possible w/o having to purchase a tvpad2.

Thanks!

tag_install is just for convenience or when remote control does not work. It trigger the firmware update when boot up the USB drive. If yo have previous installed firmware with compatible remote control file (e.g. upgrading from previous version of Universal firmware), you don't need to add the irfake file.

I am using the V5SP5fix on one PBO and the modded PBO firmware with chinese IMS on another one. I have not tried the latest version of the modded PBO firmware with IMS yet. Both work more or less the same in terms of IMS support. I like the Universal firmware more for the Goto function. Some of the IMS cannot be played due to file compatibility, server status, or network traffic. Some of the IMS site would only show the title page of the video but cannot play the content, so you can simply skip those sites. Nevertheless, most of the resources are redundant and you can find the same video from other sources. The most convenient way is to use the VST site as you can switch to another source easily.

tag_install is just for convenience or when remote c....
    yeah, I've tried many many others and although some work, they stutter like crazy. I'm currently on Rogers Express, but sometimes the traffic really gets bogged down, and it buffers every few seconds. I really only need a few channels for my in-laws to pass time.

Not sure if that is the only source of stuttering though, still trying to find solutions for that if any exists.

Default Can I flash my PO Box without bootcode update?

tag_install is just for convenience or when remote control does not work. It trigger the firmware update when boot up the USB drive. If yo have previous installed firmware with compatible remote control file (e.g. upgrading from previous version of Universal firmware), you don't need to add the irfake file.

I am using the V5SP5fix on one PBO and the modded PBO firmware with chinese IMS on another one. I have not tried the latest version of the modded PBO firmware with IMS yet. Both work more or less the same in terms of IMS support. I like the Universal firmware more for the Goto function. Some of the IMS cannot be played due to file compatibility, server status, or network traffic. Some of the IMS site would only show the title page of the video but cannot play the content, so you can simply skip those sites. Nevertheless, most of the resources are redundant and you can find the same video from other sources. The most convenient way is to use the VST site as you can switch to another source easily.
    -----

Hi Tourist,
    I read this post and other post of "How to view Chinese TV content?". I would like to Mod my box to watch the Chinese TV. It seems you mentioned in other post that the later version firmware can be flashed without updating the bootcode. Is it true? If so which version shall I use?
    My BOX info:
    System rev> P0020-BC18-61
    Bootup: 27
    Bootcode: 0000.0202.0027.
    Thanks in advance.
    CS