Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is the easiest way to get P020BC18-70R2 box to view Chinese TV?

Default what is the easiest way to get P020BC18-70R2 box to view Chinese TV?

My firmware level is
    System revision P020BC18-70R2
    Kernel Revision 337222
    Bootup 27 Bootcode 0000.0202.0027

I posted a question "Permission denied, copy menu_PBO to /usr/local/bin/scripts" on 01/20/2013 and was suggested to use the semi-official firmware on the PBO which is writable.

What I am trying to do is to use my PBO to watch Chinese TV. In order to do this, I expect that I'll have to write to the firmware from time to time in the future. So I have to look at semi-official or other firmware.

I have read all the posts on "how to view chinese tv content?". But I am confused by some of the answers which probably are only applicable to older firmware.

Here is what I get from "how to view chinese tv content?"
    I think I have 2 options
    Option 1 is use the Chinese Universal firmware and the steps are
    1. Flash my PBO firmware back to P02 (I have downloaded ES-51-283G-PCMPBO25-P02.rar)
    2. Flash my PBO firmware with Universal Chinese firmware (I have downloaded PBO_isakira_RFV2SP5fixMOD.zip)
    Option 2 is
    Just use "PBO firmware with the Chinese IMS" . Some posts mentioned that the the remote key may not work after using the Universal Chinese firmware.

I am think of using option 1 because I have no idea which firmware is the "PBO firmware with the Chinese IMS" and if the official PBO firmwares are not writable, I have to switch to other firmware anyway.

Can someone help me with if option 1 better for my case or I should take option 2 or other options that I am not aware of yet.

If option 1 is the way to go, I have 2 more questions
    Q1. I also worry about the remote key issue. If this level of Chinese firmware (PBO_isakira_RFV2SP5fixMOD.zip) still have remote key issues, what else should I do in order to assure that the remote key works after the Chinese firmware update ?
    Q2. Which way is the right way to update firmware ?
    The PBO manuals P.15 says
    System Update: Select to update the firmware using the steps below.
    1) Copy the latest firmware file to the root directory of a USB flash drive.
    2) Connect the USB flash drive to the USB 1 or USB 2 port on PBO Core.
    3) Select “System Upgrade” then press “OK” to proceed.

The PBO support page FAQ says
    When installing it:
    1. Use a USB key
    2. Place both the .IMG and .Bin in ROOT of the USB (not in a folder)
    3. While the PBO power is turned off, place the USB key in one of the ports
    4. Turn the PBO power back.
    5. This should start to load up the original FW and reprogram it.
    6. PBO will reboot automatically when done.

These two methods are different
    Since I have not done this (firmware upgrade) before, I like to know if both ways works or one way is better than the other.

Not really familiar with the Chinese firmware but the procedure to install/flash firmware is as follow:

1) Copy the "install.img" file to the root directory of a fat32 formatted USB stick.
    2) Insert the USB stick in the PBO and perform "System Upgrade" using the PBO menu (system).

That's it; sit and wait for the process to stop. Beware in many cases the PBO will reboot twice. DO NOT remove the USB stick until fully completed both cycles.

There aren't any .bin file that needs to be place on the USB stick.

The Chinese Universal firmware since last year have already fixed the remote issue. Just search for the thread by Akira and download the firmware from his blog. It is always a good practice to flash through P02 although there are other ways to force flash the firmware (particularly the Universal firmware). I don't want to confuse you more, so just go ahead with the P02 first and then the Universal one (I recommend irV5SP4 or later). The one you mentioned is fine too but it is more based on the PBO P70R2 firmware rather than Universal Firmware. Personally, I like the Universal one more although I am using both on different PBO.

Thanks tourist, I am on the road these 2 week. I'll do the frmware flash as suggested when I am home.

I am ready to do the work. Just downloaded and unzipped P02. It has two folders
    bootcode update
    1073_c0000_Deimos_avhdd_PATRIOT_PCMPBO25_128x1_pal _rsq.0000.0202.0018.bin
    UI firmware update
    install.img

The firmware update process mentioned in this forum talks about just the one file install.img. Now I also have the bin. Just to be sure, do I just copy both the bin file and the install.img to a FAT32 USB key and follow the firmware update instruction ?

Quote Originally Posted by pbo_user View Post
    I am ready to do the work. Just downloaded and unzipped P02. It has two folders
    bootcode update
    1073_c0000_Deimos_avhdd_PATRIOT_PCMPBO25_128x1_pal _rsq.0000.0202.0018.bin
    UI firmware update
    install.img

The firmware update process mentioned in this forum talks about just the one file install.img. Now I also have the bin. Just to be sure, do I just copy both the bin file and the install.img to a FAT32 USB key and follow the firmware update instruction ?
    Do not concern yourself with the bin file; you only need the install.img file to upgrade/downgrade. Not sure why the bin file is included on this package ... either way you need a USB to serial adapter to do anything with the bin file so just ignore it.

Cheers !!!
    Last edited by snappy46; 02-11-2013 at 05:14 AM.

I did the flash with P02. It completed successful. My PBO is connected to my home network. I recheck to make sure that I can still play movies sitting on my NAS (Dlink DNS-321) as before. It works. So I move to the next step as suggested by tourist. I copied install.img from R1073isakira_irV5SP4 to a blank USB key and did the system upgrade. The upgrade process as seen on the screen was similar to the P02 upgrade. The PBO box reboot by itself once and finally display a screen which say Music and a few options (set up is one of them) and some Chinese. I tried to move to setup by pressing the right key. But the box is not listening. I waited 15 minutes with no change. The box is not listening to my remote control anymore. I power off the box, remove the USB key and power it back on again. The PBO screen appears and then goes to the same Music screen as before and still not listening to my remote. With the box not listening to my remote, I am not sure what next to do. I don't think my box is 'brick' yet. Any suggestion ?

Quote Originally Posted by pbo_user View Post
    I did the flash with P02. It completed successful. My PBO is connected to my home network. I recheck to make sure that I can still play movies sitting on my NAS (Dlink DNS-321) as before. It works. So I move to the next step as suggested by tourist. I copied install.img from R1073isakira_irV5SP4 to a blank USB key and did the system upgrade. The upgrade process as seen on the screen was similar to the P02 upgrade. The PBO box reboot by itself once and finally display a screen which say Music and a few options (set up is one of them) and some Chinese. I tried to move to setup by pressing the right key. But the box is not listening. I waited 15 minutes with no change. The box is not listening to my remote control anymore. I power off the box, remove the USB key and power it back on again. The PBO screen appears and then goes to the same Music screen as before and still not listening to my remote. With the box not listening to my remote, I am not sure what next to do. I don't think my box is 'brick' yet. Any suggestion ?
    I do not know anything about that firmware so I am not sure if it is compatible with the PBO. If you can telnet to the PBO I suggest you insert a known PBO working image file on the root of the USB stick and connect that USB stick to the PBO. Next issue the following telnet command to the PBO (If you have telnet access):
    Code:
    kill -6 1
    This should force a firmware update and the image on the USB stick will be flash to the PBO.

Snappy

Thanks snappy46, The R1073isakira_irV5SP4 firmware is the Chinese universal firmware which was mentioned many times in the forum and should work with the box. I am hoping that any one who has used the Chinese universal firmware and seen the problem can offer some help before I use the telnet method to go back to where I was.

Don't worry. It is just the remote driver issue. Since you have the Universal Firmware on now, you can easily do a force flashing by tag_install. As for the problem you experienced, it may be related to the version of Universal Firmware. You may try again with the remote driver included on the USB drive. For some version of Universal Firmware, it will reboot ~ 1 minute after it returned to the main menu. After the second reboot, the remote should work properly. So the best way is to leave it alone for 10minutes when you flash it.
    Let me dig out the thread with the tag_install file. Basically, you just need to place the tag_install and install.img file on a thumb drive, plug it in and turn on the PBO. It will automatically start the flashing in 30s or so. Just leave it alone for 10min. After flashing, the tag_install file will be removed so it will not start the flashing again when it boots up again. If you still have issue with the remote control after this, you just need to include the remote driver file on the USB drive to flash again.
    Last edited by tourist; 02-12-2013 at 02:12 PM.