Thread: need help connectin to shared folders

Default need help connectin to shared folders

Hey, i'm wondering if anyone can help me with network sharing. I obviously don't get something. I go to videos, then choose network and see 2 option, connect manually or my home pc. I click on my home pc and there's nothing there. It says that there are no shared files. I tried a bunch of stuff to share my folders, one of the things i tried:

Here's how to share a folder on your Windows machine:

Locate the folder you want to share and right click on it..
    Choose "Share with..." and then select "Specific People".
    A sharing panel will appear with the option to share with any users on the computer or your homegroup. You can also choose to share with "Everyone", which means the files will be accessible on your local network (basically just in your home) to anyone even if they don't have a password. This is convenient but not secure. If you want to choose this option, you can find it by click on the drop down menu towards the top of the panel.
    After making your selection, click Share.
    After you've clicked Share, Windows will take a moment to set up your new shared folder and it'll be accessible from other computers on your local network. To access it, simply look for your computer's name in the Network section on your other computer. When you choose it, you'll have a new option to connect to this folder.

Whatever I do, there's nothing under my home pc. What am i doing wrong?
    P.S. Shares are not password protected, probably.
    Last edited by lexon; 12-28-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Hello Lexon:

How many home pc(s) do you have? If you have more than one pc, test to see if you can access shared folders from one machine to another. Is your pc name "home pc"?

From you Alpine, go to Settings > Ethernet(assume what you're using) Configuration, confirm the dhcp ip is obtained and Dns's correct for your home network.

In any case, your Alpine should see 1) connect Manually 2) list of names of all devices on your network.

There are some existing posts in this forum you might want to read.

The fun just starts...

Cheers
    Dan

Yes, i have a MAC. i connected from mac to homegroups and i can see folders, though not the ones i made sharable. But nevermind, there's something there. And in the alpine, there's nothing on my HOME-PC (it's the name of my pc).
    I tried using upnp to stream videos, it worked pretty good, though there's some lag once in a while, nothing big, but it would be more satisfying without it. Would there be the same lag streaming with network sharing? Maybe I shouldn't even bother and just use a usb...
    Although I'd like to at least try connectin to network sharing and see for myself.
    Thanks for the answer, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by lexon View Post
    Yes, i have a MAC. i connected from mac to homegroups and i can see folders, though not the ones i made sharable. But nevermind, there's something there. And in the alpine, there's nothing on my HOME-PC (it's the name of my pc).
    I tried using upnp to stream videos, it worked pretty good, though there's some lag once in a while, nothing big, but it would be more satisfying without it. Would there be the same lag streaming with network sharing? Maybe I shouldn't even bother and just use a usb...
    Although I'd like to at least try connectin to network sharing and see for myself.
    Thanks for the answer, Dan
    Trust me, you will be happier once you get the shares working. So don't give up yet.

Try this:

1) make your home-pc\c drive sharable with share name = c; Add share permission = your home-pc login user id with full control.

2) On Alpine, go to Applications> network : Select Connect Manually. Server = home-pc ; Share = c ; User = your home-pc login user id, password = Your home-pc login user password(case sensitive). That should connect you. (hint: use an usb keyboard for easy typing)

3) You go to Video and mount your share.

You will experience some lagging with Wifi streaming as it depends much on your wifi devices and environment, use ethernet for better result.

Good luck
    Dan

Thank you very much for your help, Dan!

I tried it though, I get the message out of memory. Also, there is only one user on my pc, so there's no password (so I just left it blank).

Quote Originally Posted by lexon View Post
    Thank you very much for your help, Dan!

I tried it though, I get the message out of memory. Also, there is only one user on my pc, so there's no password (so I just left it blank).
    Does your Alpine see your home-pc\c? It shouldn't matter but enter in a password anyway (eg 1234 to make simple) on both. Once done, connect manually one more time on Alpine. User id might also be case sensitive on Alpine, check that too.

Good luck,
    Dan