Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to mount Windows shares automatically

Quote Originally Posted by Danng View Post
    Hello snappy46:

It's nice to hear from you again and thank you for pointing out the purpose of the Samba server thread. I was thinking one could edit the smb.conf file you mentioned in the thread to include a network share to accomplish what idlewormca wants to do.

Idlewormca, if you want to connect automatically to a window share upon boot, it would mean the share has to be available before you boot up Alpine. If you connect to the same share most of the time, I would recommend you attach a usb portable drive to your Alpine instead. With Samba server setup, you can transfer your files from your pc to your usb drive. This might be a step shorter from mounting your network share.

But again Snappy46 might come up with something to accomplish your wishes, so stay tuned....

Cheers,
    Dan
    Thank you Dan, I did set up the Samba server on Alpine. However, the speed is very slow. And the Samba server is not stable, it restarts itself occasionally. I've also tried UPnP and Alpine remembers it. The cons with UPnP are:

1. The UPnP Server auto-scanning labels wrong titles to my media and library structure is too complicated for me. (Not an Alpine problem though!)
    2. I can fast-forward by only 2 times. With network shares, I can do it by 64 times.

IW
    Last edited by idlewormca; 12-31-2012 at 04:10 PM.

I'll give it a try and report back. One question, do I have to install CIFS modules (made for Android 4.1.2) as the post states? Or I can use the existing modules (not sure where they are) with Alpine? I am afraid that I don't have much free space left on Alpine. (Can I install APPS on the SD card?)

Thank you, Snappy46!

IW

Quote Originally Posted by idlewormca View Post
    I'll give it a try and report back. One question, do I have to install CIFS modules (made for Android 4.1.2) as the post states? Or I can use the existing modules (not sure where they are) with Alpine? I am afraid that I don't have much free space left on Alpine. (Can I install APPS on the SD card?)

Thank you, Snappy46!

IW
    Hi IdleWorm,

I did not realise that those module were for the android 4.0. I am not sure if that matters or not being that drivers resides at the linux layer not the Android layer. There should be a lots of room on the Alpine assuming you do not have hundreds of apps already installed. Installing to sdcard will not work with an app like mount manager it needs to be accessible on boot up even before your Sdcard is mounted. For any chance of success with this I strongly suggest that you install / copy everything to internal flash of the Alpine.

Good luck.

PS: I will give this a solid try when I have a chance.

Snappy

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    Hi IdleWorm,

I did not realise that those module were for the android 4.0. I am not sure if that matters or not being that drivers resides at the linux layer not the Android layer. There should be a lots of room on the Alpine assuming you do not have hundreds of apps already installed. Installing to sdcard will not work with an app like mount manager it needs to be accessible on boot up even before your Sdcard is mounted. For any chance of success with this I strongly suggest that you install / copy everything to internal flash of the Alpine.

Good luck.

PS: I will give this a solid try when I have a chance.

Snappy
    Hi Snappy,

There are 2.5M internal free space left on my Alpine. It is not big enough to install CIFS mount manager. I only installed Z4root and Samba apks. I remember there was about 43M free space when I first got the Alpine. All I did were just re-flashing the firmware and re-installing two apks for a few times. Currently I am on FW 3.

"/system" has used most of space -- about 73M. Below are usage of directories under "/system"

9.3M app
    11.7M bin
    4.0K build.prop
    288.0K etc
    5.6M fonts
    10.4M framework
    32.2M lib
    6.7M shared_lib
    2.1M usr

"/data" has used about 25M.

usage of directories under "/data"

48.0K anr
    2.8M app
    0 app-private
    4.0K backup
    17.3M dalvik-cache
    4.5M data
    0 dontpanic
    0 local
    0 lost+found
    8.0K misc
    8.0K property
    116.0K system
    4.0K tmpfsmisc
    144.0K tombstones

Thanks,
    IW
    Last edited by idlewormca; 01-01-2013 at 05:20 AM.