Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to mount Windows shares automatically

Unhappy How to mount Windows shares automatically

Tired to mount Windows shares manually every time I restart the box. Is there a hacked way to automount Windows shares with the system startup?

Another issue I have is Alpine cannot find Windows shares after a few days. I usually turn it off (with LED in red) when I don't use it. It just hangs there forever. I can visit the internet. So network looks good. Reboot won't fix it and I have to reflash the firmware to get it work again. Tried matrix and stocked firmware, same. Has anyone seen this issue?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by idlewormca View Post
    Tired to mount Windows shares manually every time I restart the box. Is there a hacked way to automount Windows shares with the system startup?

Another issue I have is Alpine cannot find Windows shares after a few days. I usually turn it off (with LED in red) when I don't use it. It just hangs there forever. I can visit the internet. So network looks good. Reboot won't fix it and I have to reflash the firmware to get it work again. Tried matrix and stocked firmware, same. Has anyone seen this issue?

Thanks!
    So.. your window shares disappear after you power off your Alpine.

My experience of this happens was when the Date/Time was reset on the Alpine back to some old, old date, like 1917? So check the date/time and make sure it's current, region setting is correct etc... Also, make sure your router date is current.

Sometimes, the Alpine will take few minutes to obtain/update from your router after you turn on your Alpine. If your router time is good than your Alpine will get updated the same (in few minutes auto). Yes, check also Alpine to see its Date/time is obtained automatically (from your router).

Or if you don't mind wasting a little electricity, you can keep your Alpine power on (not sure how much power it would use between a green and red led). But if your router time happens to change, it might end up the same.

Cheers,
    Dan

Thank you Dan for answering my questions!

Yes, My Alpine doesn't remember Windows shares after a reboot. My router has the correct date & time. With stock FW, Alpine will get the correct date time within a few minutes after a reboot when setting auto update. However, with Matrix, Alpine never gets the correct date time no matter I use auto or manual after a reboot.

Guess I'll have to leave it on to see how stable it is.

Thank you Dan for answering my questions!

Yes, My Alpine doesn't remember Windows shares after a reboot. My router has the correct date & time. With stock FW, Alpine will get the correct date time within a few minutes after a reboot when setting auto update. However, with Matrix, Alpine never gets the correct date time no matter I use auto or manual after a reboot.

Guess I'll have to leave it on to see how stable it is.
    Which f/w are you using now? When you were using f/w 2, did your list of Window shares show up? This seems like a network issue. Try rebooting your router to start and check over your ethernet configuration. BTW, are you using ethernet or Wifi? I tried out fw 3 before but did not observe the window shares problem you describe. I am using fw2 which I find it functions better than fw3.

Cheers,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Danng View Post
    Which f/w are you using now? When you were using f/w 2, did your list of Window shares show up? This seems like a network issue. Try rebooting your router to start and check over your ethernet configuration. BTW, are you using ethernet or Wifi? I tried out fw 3 before but did not observe the window shares problem you describe. I am using fw2 which I find it functions better than fw3.

Cheers,
    Dan
    Dan, I am using "PBO Alpine Firmware Version 3.0 11/19/2012" with ethernet (I don't have WIFI). It never gets the correct date & time after a reboot. With "PBO Alpine Firmware Version 2.1.0 05/31/2012", Alpine does get the correct date & time within a few minutes after a reboot.

I just realized we may discuss the different things. No matter I use which version, Alpine only remembers the Hostname/IP of my PC. Everytime I have to go into "Video" -> "Network shares", I can see my PC is listed there. However, Alpine needs to rescan it which takes 20~30 seconds to list all Windows shares from my PC. At this point, I select individul share and Alpine mounts it. The mount points don't persist between reboot. I will need to do the same steps again to get Windows shares re-mounted after a reboot.

That's why I am looking for a way to make Alpine to remember Windows shares I mounted before and mount them automatically after a reboot.

Thanks,
    IW

Dan, I am using "PBO Alpine Firmware Version 3.0 11/19/2012" with ethernet (I don't have WIFI). It never gets the correct date & time after a reboot. With "PBO Alpine Firmware Version 2.1.0 05/31/2012", Alpine does get the correct date & time within a few minutes after a reboot.

I just realized we may discuss the different things. No matter I use which version, Alpine only remembers the Hostname/IP of my PC. Everytime I have to go into "Video" -> "Network shares", I can see my PC is listed there. However, Alpine needs to rescan it which takes 20~30 seconds to list all Windows shares from my PC. At this point, I select individul share and Alpine mounts it. The mount points don't persist between reboot. I will need to do the same steps again to get Windows shares re-mounted after a reboot.

That's why I am looking for a way to make Alpine to remember Windows shares I mounted before and mount them automatically after a reboot.

Thanks,
    IW
    Hello idlewormca:

It seems like Fw3 has some issue obtaining the right date on boot. I'm using FW2 and will try reinstalling FW3 to see if I can duplicate this date problem.

yes, indeed I misinterpreted your question initially. Let me try this again. Your question was "how to mount Windoew shares automatically?". Unfortunately, there is not an easy answer. But being an Android device, it can probably be programmed to do so. I do not have knowledge programming it, but there is a sticky thread by a knowledgeable moderator Snappy46 and Pageauc entitled "How to setup SAMBA file sharing on Alpine player so it is accessible from a network" you can read about how you can edit the smb.conf file. It might give you some direction where to go.

Someone else might be able to help here?

Leaving the device on is a workaround.

Cheers and have fun,
    Dan

Hi idlewormca and Dan,

The Samba thread deals with setup a samba server on the PBO Alpine I doubt that it will be of any help to you. I am not sure how to mount shares automatically on boot up but I will look into it and see if I can come up with something ....... maybe some kind of script that start up network share on start up and mount that share???? I have no idea right now. I previously mounted a share at the linux layer but it was not seen by the Android layer, it appear that using network shares at the Android layer is a must for the videoplayer to detect that mount.

Anyhow I'll let you know if I find anything.

Cheers! !!!

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    Hi idlewormca and Dan,

The Samba thread deals with setup a samba server on the PBO Alpine I doubt that it will be of any help to you. I am not sure how to mount shares automatically on boot up but I will look into it and see if I can come up with something ....... maybe some kind of script that start up network share on start up and mount that share???? I have no idea right now. I previously mounted a share at the linux layer but it was not seen by the Android layer, it appear that using network shares at the Android layer is a must for the videoplayer to detect that mount.

Cheers! !!!
    Thank you Dan and Snappy46!

Yes, I am looking for a start up script to mount Windows shares, just as USB drives mounted automatically. I am able to mount shares manually within the shell, but they are not showing on TV. I guess there are extra things to be done at Android layer as Snappy46 said.

Happy New Years!

Quote Originally Posted by snappy46 View Post
    Hi idlewormca and Dan,

Cheers! !!!
    Hello snappy46:

It's nice to hear from you again and thank you for pointing out the purpose of the Samba server thread. I was thinking one could edit the smb.conf file you mentioned in the thread to include a network share to accomplish what idlewormca wants to do.

Idlewormca, if you want to connect automatically to a window share upon boot, it would mean the share has to be available before you boot up Alpine. If you connect to the same share most of the time, I would recommend you attach a usb portable drive to your Alpine instead. With Samba server setup, you can transfer your files from your pc to your usb drive. This might be a step shorter from mounting your network share.

But again Snappy46 might come up with something to accomplish your wishes, so stay tuned....

Cheers,
    Dan

Here a link that may help with automatically mounting shares but I haven't had really any time to experiment with it: http://reviewlagoon.com/nexus-7-tuto...re-as-a-drive/ . Just follow the procedure indicated at that link but use Z4root app available here : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15169815/And...root.1.3.0.apk to root the PBO Alpine and install busybox and since we do not have access to GooglePlay on the PBO download Mount manager app from here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15169815/And...smanager-1.apk . Those files are safe and they reside on my dropbox account.

Anyhow many good options in mount manager settings that might work with the PBO but like I mentioned I did not have any time to play with it much. All I can say for now is that mount manager installs and run properly on the PBO Alpine. Once mounted with mount manager the shares are being seen by the other app (ex: videoPlayer) without any issues. The trick will be to get the mount manager to do it's magic on boot up. I recommend that you try to place the modules (cifs.ko ..etc...) in a system folder versus USB to give it a better chance to automatically mount on boot up.

Have fun with it and please post here your results ... good or bad.

Cheers !!!!