PDA

View Full Version : Removeable Media Bit Utility

BrianMatte
10-02-2011, 10:26 PM
I would like to flip the RMB on my Supersonic 64gb, just like this guy:
http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?2455-Removable-Media-Bit-on-Magnum-64GB

I'm sure if Patriot released the controller information, like Patriot said they wouldn't here:
http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?2850-Flip-Removeable-Media-Bit-for-XPorter-Magnum-64GB&highlight=rmb%2C+removeable+media

Then some bright programmer could create a small utility for making a Patriot flash drive appear as a local disk in Windows. But because Patriot won't give any information out, that leaves them the responsibility of creating a RMB utility for their customers.

No 3rd party tool that can flip the RMB on a flash drive has worked on my Supersonic. So I please ask that Patriot can develop a simple utility for solving my problem. And if Patriot wants to keep up with the other memory companies, they should provide a formatting tool and partition editor to their customers (not one that you can only get by email request).

I'm not trying to bash Patriot, I just want to have multiple partitions on my 64gb flash drive. (I love my Supersonic by the way :D)

BrianMatte
10-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Nothing? Not even a "Yes we will work on it." or a "We will not develop a utility at this time."?

Patriot_Ben
10-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Nothing? Not even a "Yes we will work on it." or a "We will not develop a utility at this time."?

Hello,

I'm sorry that I missed this thread. At this time there are no plans to develop this utility, however I have passed on the information that a few of our users are requesting for such a utility.

BrianMatte
10-07-2011, 02:45 AM
No problem, I just got a little impatient.

BrianMatte
10-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Could I get a confirmation or declination of whether or not a utility will ever be made? I need to know whether or not I should just use a portable hard drive instead of my Supersonic. I understand that there are no plans to develop this utility at this time, but has this changed since you've passed on the information?

Patriot_Ben
10-10-2011, 10:57 PM
I'll check back again but at the moment it's in the ears of the Flash Developement Team. If you're asking me to give you a "concrete" yay or nay. I would have to say No for now unfortunately. I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

BrianMatte
10-11-2011, 02:34 AM
Ok, thanks.

awsmitty
11-30-2011, 11:31 AM
I am glad I found this forum, just joined. I am in pursuit of the same thing, need to "flip the bit", and just spent several hours searching for a program that would accomplish this. I realize for now at least I can give up the pursuit.

I just bought a Patriot Supersonic Xpress, 32GB. The idea was to load all these *.ISO's on it rather than bumble around with various DVD's - CD's, burning and re-burning updates as they come forth. Plus, I found out years ago that CD's are not all that reliable and durable. Another point, this would avoid the hassle of say pulling up Nero and going through the various steps of burning the DVD. Allís that would be necessary would be to copy the *.ISO onto the portable drive. One could copy several *.ISO's in one pop. One final point would be the speed of coping and installing with a USB 3.0.

Thanks for listening. Appreciate your thoughts.

BrianMatte
12-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Sadly, I think they've swept these requests under the rug. If Patriot was going to ever make a utility, they would have by now. Pretty much every reply from Patriot addressing a RMB utility ends up at: "I'll pass the information on". Can I hear a response from the "Flash Developement Team" as to why they don't want to release a RMB utility, or why they're too lazy to make one? Because clearly there is a handful of Patriot customers who want such a utility...

PATRIOTXT
02-04-2012, 06:55 AM
I use a nifty tool called Bootice http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/Bootice.shtml , which allows one to have multiple ( a max of 4) partitions with different file system formats. One can change the PBR for each partition and the MBR for the whole USB flash drive. If one wants to switch to another partition in the XT Rage Device simply click on Parts Manage, then Reformat USB Disk (don't be misled by the "reformat" part as it's just a trick instead of reformatting), then set accessible the partiton you want and click "cancel" on bottom. On Partition Mangement screen, click the top partition (which was what was set accessible) and "Activate" it and apply a "Drive Letter". After some practice, it will take only seconds to switch between partitions on the USB Disk on any OS (except for WindowsPE and Linux).

petersem
05-17-2012, 01:24 AM
[QUOTE=BrianMatte;45728]I would like to flip the RMB on my Supersonic 64gb, just like this guy:
http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?2455-Removable-Media-Bit-on-Magnum-64GB

+1 for a Removable bit flip utility. I just bought a patriot supersonic 64bit and am running the new Windows 8 preview off of it. Unfortunately it is crippled because i cant flip the removable bit. Otherwise, the drive is working superbly and i would have no qualms in recommending this drive be used by anyone wanting to run Windows 8 off a usb (which is a valid use for Windows 8).

Until i can get that damned bit flipped though, i cant fully use the drive for the intention i purchased it for and cant recommend it be used for this either.

Please! supply a utility to flip the removable bit that will allow us to use this great USB drive to it's fullest extent.

Many thanks

bobbintb
05-21-2012, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=BrianMatte;45728]I would like to flip the RMB on my Supersonic 64gb, just like this guy:

+1 for a Removable bit flip utility. I just bought a patriot supersonic 64bit and am running the new Windows 8 preview off of it. Unfortunately it is crippled because i cant flip the removable bit. Otherwise, the drive is working superbly and i would have no qualms in recommending this drive be used by anyone wanting to run Windows 8 off a usb (which is a valid use for Windows 8).

Until i can get that damned bit flipped though, i cant fully use the drive for the intention i purchased it for and cant recommend it be used for this either.

Please! supply a utility to flip the removable bit that will allow us to use this great USB drive to it's fullest extent.

Many thanks

exact position i am in. i may just get an additional lexar since i know they have a utility for it.

phez
07-18-2012, 02:01 AM
+1 . Same as the other people. I bought this specifically to run Windows 8 To Go and now its useless as I cannot install any other app from the MS App store as it sees the device as removable media. 80% MS problem, 20% Patriot issue. After spending a fairly large amount of money on this drive Vs. others, you would hope they have better support. Guess not!

BrianMatte
08-28-2012, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=petersem;51756]
exact position i am in. i may just get an additional lexar since i know they have a utility for it.

+1 . Same as the other people. I bought this specifically to run Windows 8 To Go and now its useless as I cannot install any other app from the MS App store as it sees the device as removable media. 80% MS problem, 20% Patriot issue. After spending a fairly large amount of money on this drive Vs. others, you would hope they have better support. Guess not!

The main reason I bought the supersonic is speed and capacity. If only I had known the stick is restricted as "removable media", I would have bought a much smaller capacity stick... I now use the supersonic only for backup, as I bought a Lexar
to take on the role I was going to use the supersonic for...

phez
08-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Guys, I have done some reasearch and found a few links that tries to change the the RMB on these USB devices. I have not been very successful so far, but was hoping someone may find a solution that can share:

http://jeffgraves.me/2012/03/09/running-windows-8-server-from-a-usb-flash-drive-with-phison-controller/

http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/repurposing-autodesk-usb-media_20.html

Really, Patriot should assist and provide a utility to over come this issue!

droorda
01-14-2013, 01:01 PM
any updates on the status of a tool?

phez
01-15-2013, 02:07 AM
typical Patriot, no news! Useless clowns