PDA

View Full Version : External HDD connect causes reboot loop...

techdevil
01-19-2011, 05:41 AM
Okay, I'll try to explain this as clearly as possible given it's a bit of a different realm then I'm used to...

My PBO recognizes smaller capacity flash drives just fine - proven by being able to install the P05-IMS-DEMO (BC16).megapack for my firmware. However the issue I am having began before I started monkeying around with the firmware, so please keep that in mind while troubleshooting...

SO... when I try to access my 1TB Toshiba external (self powered) via either the front or rear USB ports the PBO shows a message saying "USB DVD Player" freezes and then begins to shut off and turn on over and over. Like an endless reboot cycle. I suspect it might have something to do with the virtual cd for the backup software included on the external, but I haven't had a problem with this before...

I've browsed through all the threads, all 50+ pages of them and found nothing resembling this issue I'm having so I hope someone has an idea because my main purpose for purchasing the PBO was for playing files from my external storage :( and I've about had it!

sam
01-19-2011, 09:19 AM
What is the file system on the External HD (FAT32/NTFS)?

Before playing around with the firmware, did the external hd work ok on the pbo? If yes, what version?

Thanks,
Sam.

aasoror
01-19-2011, 09:41 AM
I suspect it might have something to do with the virtual cd for the backup software included on the external, but I haven't had a problem with this before...

But you haven't had this firmware before.
Its evident enough that the PBO is incorrectly detecting the drive as a DVD instead of Storage that the virtual CD software is messing up with the PBO.

Remove this and formate the drive in NTFS and see if your problem persists.

If so then your next step would be to use an externally powered hub to rule out insufficient power from the USB port (yet that wont explain the detection as DVD part).

Best of luck,

tourist
01-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Check if you can remove the virtual CD. Simple formatting would not help and the VCD partition is usually hidden and cannot be removed easily. Sometimes it requires firmware update and then disable it in a utility (as the case for WD). Remember, after turning off the VCD, you'll lose some function of the drive.

techdevil
01-19-2011, 04:47 PM
It's a FAT32, and is self powered already... and right out of the box the PBO was detecting my external as USB DVD Player and doing the reboot cycle. Like I said, before I started messing with the firmware. I will try to remove the virtual software as recommended and see what happens, thank you for the suggestions!

aasoror
01-20-2011, 04:06 AM
It's a FAT32
This is already a reported problem.
Formating the drive to NTFS fixed the problem (not much usage for FAT32 on such a big drive any way).

Best of luck,