PDA

View Full Version : other firmware on PBO

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

flint1962
11-13-2010, 01:53 PM
:p guess I'm not a real patriot as I love the medebo, have completely forgotten the lackluster patriot crap and will never go back.I can run this baby in medebo mode until the cows come home or until newer and better boxes appear on the market.

thanks again to all that made this possible. ;)

I 110% agree with you on that!:D
The media wall is so slick!

AGL123
11-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Was checking with a buddy PBO who also flashed with the Mede8er software and redid the settings to the old one of PBO and he also notice the Resolution Drop..

wigout
11-13-2010, 07:40 PM
After flashing most firmwares, the default resolution for my player gets set to "NTSC Auto" which turns out to be "lowest resolution possible that doesn't scroll."

As snappy said, changing the resolution to 1080p in the video settings OR switching through display modes by pressing the "TV SYSTEM" button will fix this.

-wigout

petec
11-14-2010, 01:09 AM
Personally I am on number 3 PBO.

The forum / support here is what convinced me to purchase PBO #3.

tskitishvili
11-14-2010, 07:25 PM
The Medebo Firmware does freeze once in a while.

Confirm. Not very often though. It froze once while browsing in menu and second time while copying files over the network using samba. Both times the device (with installed harddrive) was too hot (I have a bridge router sitting on top of PBO). But if others see same freezes it is probably a firmware at fault, not overheating.

lickity_split
11-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Confirm. Not very often though. It froze once while browsing in menu and second time while copying files over the network using samba. Both times the device (with installed harddrive) was too hot (I have a bridge router sitting on top of PBO). But if others see same freezes it is probably a firmware at fault, not overheating.

I have had medebo firmware upgraded pbo reboot rather than go back to a previous menu a few times. or reboot instead of returning to home (root) when that button is used. and a couple other unexpected reboots.but this is rare and a minor thing that really does not sway me from enjoying the medebo upgrade which I personally like best.

please note; I did not have this issue with pbo firmware or the acrbo firmware. so I'm thinking it's just the medebo upgrade responsible. but that's just my uneducated guess.;)

slam
11-15-2010, 10:31 PM
my patriot hangs at least ONCE everytime i use it...i have to unplug the power plug coz its a total freeze, remote dies

never while playing, just while browsing the movie folders, mentioned this a while back

and i have no int hdd, its a new seagate usb

any update firmware? :(

scboley
11-16-2010, 01:08 AM
my patriot hangs at least ONCE everytime i use it...i have to unplug the power plug coz its a total freeze, remote dies

never while playing, just while browsing the movie folders, mentioned this a while back

and i have no int hdd, its a new seagate usb

any update firmware? :(
Might need a firmware update on the usb drive as well it sounds like.

sam
11-17-2010, 07:05 AM
please note; I did not have this issue with pbo firmware or the acrbo firmware. so I'm thinking it's just the medebo upgrade responsible. but that's just my uneducated guess.;)

You're right lickity_split. I did some search on the medebo firmware. It seems the problem is in the realtek SDK. The site said that as soon as the new SDK is released the problem will be fixed on the firmware.

I am still happy with Medebo Firmware. I know mine freezes once in a while tool. But I still like it. The interface is slick and the Video Wall is great. :)

Slam, you could use the power switch on the back of the PBO for On/Off instead of the power cord.

Sam

slam
11-17-2010, 05:25 PM
lol...i forgot that feature :p

snappy46
11-21-2010, 04:36 AM
Ok people things are pretty simple; if you have a problem with a specific firmware other than the official firmware offered by PM and it has something to do about the operation/bugs etc of that said firmware go look over to their specific forum for a solution to your problem. Now if you wish to register and ask about a specific problem than do so as if you have the proper hardware. I still see some post on other forums that start like that: I have a PBO running mede8er firmware ...... or I have a PBO running AC ryan firmware ...... The chance of getting an answer to your question with statement like that are pretty nil and it is also in the best interest of everyone that those hack/modded firmware do not bring too much attention from other forum.

So please people it not very complicated ...... be smart about it, unless you want to see this thread disappear !!!!!

aasoror
11-21-2010, 06:53 AM
I still see some post on other forums that start like that: I have a PBO running mede8er firmware ...... or I have a PBO running AC ryan firmware ......
One from you and one from me ..
http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq295/rcoiteux/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

be smart about it, unless you want to see this thread disappear !!!!!
+1

sam
11-21-2010, 11:08 PM
So please people it not very complicated ...... be smart about it, unless you want to see this thread disappear !!!!!

Ditto. Couldn't be any simpler.

Thanks,
Sam. :)

prene1
11-23-2010, 03:47 PM
If you decide to try AC Ryan Firmware (http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22804&postcount=807) your PBO, here is what you need to know. it installs directly from PBO menu. People report success with both bootcodes 16 and 18. If you installed and formatted your hard drive under P02 firmware, you do not need to re-format it for AC Ryan firmware.

At first BT might not work. But if you do some manual cleanup and reinstall of BT and samba packages, it works. You will find info on that here (http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19781&postcount=88). Unlike PBO which shares hard drive as HDD, AC Ryan uses different name: HDD1.

Little goodies:

Info button shows both elapsed/total play time.
Time line while Fast Forward or Rewind.
Arrows during playback bring time line with ability to quickly move your playing point.
Play button can interrupt preview right away and start movie unlike on PBO where often you would see a crossed hand which signals that operation is not permitted :)
While browsing folders it shows pictures in a preview pane. It displays first picture found inside the folder. If you press SLOW it will show picture full screen, next if you press PLAY it will start playing your media. It can be used as cheap alternative to YAMJ.
More options to Zoom In/Out your picture.
MENU button (OPTION on PBO remote) brings quick menu with SUBTITLE/AUDIO/TITLE/CHAPTER settings
Allows to see torrents status right from dedicated menu
Allows to add torrent file to download from file browser by pressing MENU(OPTION). However you have to download the file yourself as the player does not have built in web browser.
etc.

Big goodies:
- YAMJ (http://code.google.com/p/moviejukebox/). It works great, however there are few things which need to be improved. It is a bit slow, it takes numerous clicks to start it. It also takes time to initially generate good Jukebox library, but the latter is not AC Ryan's fault.
- Media Library. It's yet another way to browse your media. It is supposed to group movies by genres, time, etc. Unfortunately no group worked except "All" which displayed all 600+ titles in one big alphabetically ordered list. You might need to read the AC Ryan forum to learn how to set it up correctly. It might be very good alternative for YAMJ if setup is simpler. I suspect Media Library feature comes from new Realtek SDK.
- Internet Services Flickr
Picasa
Weather
RSS News
Radio

- NFS
- DVD support (however there is no confirmation if it works)
- etc.

By the time this post was last updated the latest PBO firmware P05 did not have any of the above features.

Hey guys (waves)..... yes a noob to this unit and telnet. I had a WD Live Hub which was phenominal but due to pricing and etc it was returned.... anyways. I followed all procedures and wiped my HD like 10 times and still to this same problem. I clicked link to how too reset my BT and thus and even got telnet too speak (win 7) too the Unit but its asking me for user id n password. Where do I get these from. Thanks. EDIT: It does show up via my explorer as Playon and thus forth but the BT screen is giving me "cgi-bin/UniCGI.cgi?id=7" error

Bad Astronaut
11-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks to aasoror for putting all of this together and to tskitishvili for the coding.

I've had some fun with firmwares during my first week of ownership - after trying P61 official and ACR, I flashed MedeBO and ended up with a brick (just showing startup logo). I thought it was done for but I managed to recover by opening it up and shorting SW3. I put ACR back on and decided to hold off on flashing for a while, at least until I get the Nokia cable for guaranteed recovery. I'm quite happy with the ACR firmware, in particular the ability to handle compressed mkv headers is fairly unique compared to what I've heard about other players out there (does MedeBO support header compression yet? P61 does not).

A quick question, is there any way to get Youtube HD with the ACR firmware?

snappy46
11-30-2010, 03:51 PM
A quick question, is there any way to get Youtube HD with the ACR firmware?

You can try that: http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4447

But it's probably easier just to install aasoror P61 Mega pack.

aasoror
11-30-2010, 05:22 PM
does MedeBO support header compression yet?

nope. ... ...

Bad Astronaut
11-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Thanks snappy and aasoror for the replies. I'll look into that youtube hack.

angga039
12-01-2010, 10:20 AM
I've been folowing this thread since the day i bought my PBO, all i can say that there's real potential for this player to improve so much more, especialy with so many wonderfull people here willing to help others,

i think an introduction is nececary ,

Name : Angga039
District : Gresik, Bawean island
PBO : Boot Code : 23
Drive : 2x750 GB WDC Green, 2x1 TB WDC Green, 1 OLD DVDROM Pioneer .... ALL conected on the "back" using Epraizer HUB :D

Good to see u All .........:)

I live on an island which internet connection is as hard finding water in sahara so i think all internet features for this unit can be ignored FOR ME,.... well for now,

since the day i bought my PBO i feel the stock firmware is not what i had in mind for a media player, quite standard feature, so i look it up and there is another alternatif from the stock firmware afterall

i've tried the meedebo firmware and i found it proufoundly satisfiying, but there's one or two MKV movies that show grennish line an artifacs all over the place .................. i was thinking, does the ACRBO has the same problem, i realy like medebo UI, does ACRBO provide me with the same GOOD LOOK feature. (again..... internet, feeds is no concern for me)

For aasoror, tskitishvili ....... THANK U for making PBO such a WONDERFULL Player

Sincerly regard - Angga039 :)

BrewDude
12-05-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm currently using the firmware ES-51-283G-PCMPBO25-P61 (Only for Bootcode 16). I was wondering if I could flash to the latest AC Ryan firmware ACRBO_v7.3.4.r4368_Euro directly? What I mean by that is do I need to use any of the previous AC Ryan firmwares first before trying ACRBO_v7.3.4.r4368_Euro?

aasoror
12-05-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm currently using the firmware ES-51-283G-PCMPBO25-P61 (Only for Bootcode 16). I was wondering if I could flash to the latest AC Ryan firmware ACRBO_v7.3.4.r4368_Euro directly? What I mean by that is do I need to use any of the previous AC Ryan firmwares first before trying ACRBO_v7.3.4.r4368_Euro?

Yup, as per the instructions, upgrade from the PBO system menu.

BrewDude
12-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Sorry for posting in the wrong spot and thank you for your quick responses!

BrewDude
12-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Flashed firmware without any problems as you said it would. Now my next thing to get done is getting my wireless adapter with ralink chipset to work. Thanks again for all the help.

egon646
12-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Hello,

Could you please help what is the best firmware for Patriot BOX Office Media Bootup: 18, Bootcode: 0001.0202.0018 ?

Thx

snappy46
12-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Hello,

Could you please help what is the best firmware for Patriot BOX Office Media Bootup: 18, Bootcode: 0001.0202.0018 ?

Thx

It really depends on you but here's my opinion:

If torrent client and internet video feeds are not important to you I suggest medebo ( see aasoror signature for link under (makeover)).

If torrent client (not really working right now) and Internet video feeds are important to you than I recommended P61 or any remake from aasoror (see aasoror signature under (keep it semi-official)).

Again this is just my personal opinion which may differ from other people.

Cheers !!!!

flint1962
12-07-2010, 03:38 AM
It really depends on you but here's my opinion:

If torrent client and internet video feeds are not important to you I suggest medebo ( see aasoror signature for link under (makeover)).

If torrent client (not really working right now) and Internet video feeds are important to you than I recommended P61 or any remake from aasoror (see aasoror signature under (keep it semi-official)).

Again this is just my personal opinion which may differ from other people.

Cheers !!!!

I see Mede8er has another beta released today. Has anyone tried to apply the patch or is it based on the new sdk.?

aasoror
12-07-2010, 09:44 AM
I see Mede8er has another beta released today. Has anyone tried to apply the patch or is it based on the new sdk.?

Done, :)

Check the "makeover" link in my sig for details.

flint1962
12-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Done, :)

Check the "makeover" link in my sig for details.
You are the man! I will check it out and let you know how it is.
Found random reboots when applying settings to fast. ( media wall when deselecting a folder and the x has not disappeared and you try scrolling)
In media wall once you select a folder in the browser and then deselect it, it does not remove it from the media wall
Media wall is only 2 levels deep ( there is a second page which now works)
Maybe it is the way I installed the update just did a system update maybe it should have been a fresh install

egon646
12-07-2010, 01:28 PM
@aasoror It is normal firmware for Patriot Box Office like on this link:

http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2131

aasoror
12-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Maybe it is the way I installed the update just did a system update maybe it should have been a fresh install
I installed it the same way, I was asked for the langauge/time/network setup when the box rebooted so I know flash got properly erased, but if you want to make sure you can flash to any PM firmware (i.e. P61) then reflash back.
Might want to check the quoted threads for users reporting stability on the actual boxes.

@aasoror It is normal firmware for Patriot Box Office like on this link:

http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2131
Well its not normal firmware (not from patriot) yet the upgrade instructions in the thread you quoted applies.

egon646
12-07-2010, 05:40 PM
But he should be OK for PBO with bootcode 18 ?

aasoror
12-07-2010, 07:00 PM
But he should be OK for PBO with bootcode 18 ?

Yup, all patched firmwares are bootcode neutral.

egon646
12-07-2010, 07:47 PM
@aasoror Could you please give me some links to screens from the newest package ?

scboley
12-08-2010, 03:52 AM
Interesting the mede8er forum has a thread for customized firmware and they're listing fantec, patriot, and acryan as their other firmware to flash. The mods just put a red disclaimer saying you might not can go back to mede8er if the wrong firmware is flashed (apparently alluding to the types that can flash bootcode while doing the firmware flash). Might want to pull the latest medebo till its fixed.

IanC
12-08-2010, 06:39 AM
On a completely different topic:

In the remote key mapping for the various firmware, the Next and Previous buttons send "N" and "P".

I'll call them the soft next and soft previous. It sort of says, "You're and idiot. You didn't mean to press that button. I -- your media player, know what's best for you. If you really did want to press that button, prove it to me. Press it again."

That's the native action in most of the firmware. But frankly it's one I hate.

(Yea, I turn off all the "are you sure" queries in the MicroFlacid software too.)

I know in one version of firmware I played with (I think it was MedeBO) the Next and Previous are implemented as Force Next "n" and Force Previous "p".

What do others think? If people feel a show of Force is a better choice, maybe our firmware fiddlers extraordinaire can tweak that.

mwhimpey
12-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I'm new here and I have browsed the forums for several hours looking for the answer to this question, so excuse me if it has already been answered. However since I have not found the answer, I'll ask it here. Is it possible to have the PBO display the DVD covers/artwork in the browse menu rather than the file names?

Also, the browse menu shows USB, NET, DVD, UPnP, etc. I've noticed it also appears in the File Copy menu. What functionlity does the DVD option give? How would I use this feature?

Thanks!

BTW - I have two PBO's. One with BC 23 and one BC 26. I've flashed both with P61.

tourist
12-08-2010, 04:46 PM
There are several firmwares that you can do DVD cover arts. You should check out the Mod/Hack sub-forum for that. As for the DVD function on the manual, you may access USB DVD drive from there to play unprotected DVD video or media files stored on a DVD.

aasoror
12-08-2010, 05:09 PM
All thanks goes to gabe.
Please redownload the image from the same link.

si1verfish
12-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Wondering what is new from the last version.

mkv header compression supported.

Thanks gabe/aasoror!

aasoror
12-08-2010, 07:52 PM
mkv header compression supported.

Thanks gabe/tsk/aasoror!

fixed :) ....

mwhimpey
12-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Anyone willing to post some screen shots or direct me to some links that show the GUI's for available firmware?

scboley
12-09-2010, 02:41 AM
There are some in various places here in the forum but best to just download them and line them all up and flash and check them out one at a time and see what you like about each one.

aasoror
12-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Check the makeover link in my signature for ACRBO 4824 (Euro/Asian).

snappy46
12-09-2010, 12:34 PM

For those interested in using the PBO to download torrent this firmware suppositely fix the problem with btpd. I can not confirm or denied if this is true or not since I haven't try it yet but post on ACR forums seem to indicate that it now works.

Unreal
12-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Please note that there is no such functionality (yet?) to display DVD artwork instead of filenames available from Patriot in any firmware version. That functionality can only be achieved via mod/hack using firmware that is not from Patriot. With that said, you may want to check here (http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?p=29627#post29627).

vnguy
12-09-2010, 06:30 PM

Thanks aasoror, but it requires to install r3582 before installing r4824. Do we have a patched r3582?

aasoror
12-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks aasoror, but it requires to install r3582 before installing r4824. Do we have a patched r3582?

Don't bother with that, this requirement doesn't hold on any of the patched firmwares.
To make a long story short, and using the PM bootcode terminology, their r3582 will update your bootcode to some BC18+ bootcode, all their released firmwares after r3582 are BC18+ only (which means any box with BC16 will be bricked by that update).
This though doesn't hold on the patches released here, because they are bootcode neutral.

scboley
12-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Changelog for latest acrbo r4824

Version v7.3.x r4824

what’s new in this release
1. Improved SAMBA compatibility with Windows 7
2. Improved BTPD downloading stability
3. Improved Web Management default page when Login Control is off
4. Improved Web Management compatibility with Safari and Opera browser
5. Improved compatibility with MKV compressed headers
6. Improved Hebrew subtitles display
7. Improved weather channel description
8. Improved HDMI compatibility
9. Improved REPEAT modes images
10. Improved Player Web Management to display correct remote control image
11. Improved auto scaling of video resolution to user defined screen size resolution
12. Add Change system font option in Setup – System menu

• Place your preferred .TTF font in “Resource” folder for selection
13. Add Edit Protection option in Setup – Misc menu

• Protects the Copy menu with a password when option is turned on

• Default password is “0000”
14. Add Browser Mode option in Setup – Misc menu

• Displays your files in Preview Off/Preview/List layout
15. Add new menu language for Asian version

• Arabic

• Indonesia
16. Add new menu language for European version

• Norwegian

• Danish

• Swedish

• Finnish
17. Add Stretch to Zoom In selection
18. [available in previous SDK platform]

Add frames seek function during video playback (video dependent)

• Press left or right button during video playback to jump to frames backward or forward.
19. [available in previous SDK platform]

Add new options in Setup/Video menu

• Plasma mode (Dark/Dim/Light)

• Screen size resolution
20. [available in previous SDK platform]

Add menu for selecting Audio/Subtitle/Title/Chapter/DVD Menu

• Press MENU button during video playback to display navigation menu
21. [available in previous SDK platform]

Improved skipping of music tracks by pressing the Previous or Next button

• During music playing, pressing Next button will play the next track or Previous button to play previous
track
22. Fix flickering of info message during music playback when title is too long
23. Fix unable to resume playback when display is switched to 24p mode
24. Fix loading of Jukebox from network location
25. Fix wrong indication of Audio and Video description in INFO display
26. Fix prompting of password during files deletion in BROWSER even when folder protection is off
27. Fix overlapping of DNS entry portion when setting a fixed IP address for wireless connection
28. Fix unable to eject USB optical drive after being mounted by system
29. Fix displaying of parameters present in certain subtitle format
30. Remove TIME settings (not applicable to model)
31. Rename Folder Password Protection to Folder Access Protection

scboley
12-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Latest medebo bugs fixes and changelist:

http://www.mede8erforum.com/Themes/Analysis/images/post/xx.gif (http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,3712.msg25228.html#msg25228)MED400X/500X V4 Beta 5: Summary of Buglist (http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,3712.msg25228.html#msg25228)
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:07:35 pm »
Overview of known bugs on V4 Beta based on latest Beta Version: Current version V4BETA5

Following are fixed bugs compared to known bug list on V4beta4:
2] On older hardware LCD led on front only changes from Red to Blue after about 5sec after switching Mede8er on from Standby. This seems to be only on DD units and not on DD+ units. Fixed in V4Beta5
6] .divx and bdiso not playing from movie wall Fixed in V4Beta5
7] when in media library and press menu when focussed on a folder, then select delete. Confirm window has some layer behind that should not be there Fixed in Beta4.
8] Zoom image press info 2x and when in second info screen with picture details on the screen, return button is not working. You have to press again info button and then you are able to use Return button. Fixed in V4Beta5
13] WiFi field strength bar out of alignment Fixed in V4Beta5
14] Zoom picture from thumbnail view - screensaver does not work Fixed in V4Beta5
15] resume not working on mkv when 24fps is set to ON Fixed in V4Beta5
18) Fixed Screen Size Calibration issue -- if it was set at max mede8er would show image artefacts and bom with "slow" zoom nav up/down (Fixed with BETA4)
20] Not able to change genre icons on page 2 and up on moviewall.(Bug introduced in BETA4). When you change genre icons on page 2, icons on page 1 are changed by that action. When deleting Genre icons on page 2, it deletes Genre icons on page 1. Fixed in V4Beta5
21] Subtitles gone after FF (fixed with BETA2 27 sep 2010)
22] Skip on series in MovieWall not working. Index goes up but keeps playing first movie in series that is started. (fixed in BETA3)
23] Hebrew Subtitles issue (Fixed in BETA3]
24] subtitles play by default on video_ts folders and mkv, even though subtitles are off in setup settings Fixed in V4Beta5
29] When watching a MKV file with Subtitles, disable them via the remote and they stay away until pause and unpause the movie then the subtitles come back. Might be related to bug [24] (logged by Ricardo) Fixed in V4Beta5
30] IN VIDEO WALL: while playing video, pressing INFO button will display movie info (filename, duration, codec etc), but I
noticed that USB logo is displayed (top left corner) even media is on internal HDD ... This issue is not there when playing from normal File View.(logged by MarioB) Fixed in V4Beta5
32] *.MP2 file format does not display (logged by Insomniac) Fixed in V4Beta5
34] Different behaviour in Watched Indicator on Video Wall compared to conventional Media Library. When watching a movie on Video Wall the Watched indicator is set immediately. When playing from Media Library it is set after playing 10 minutes or more. (logged by Ipodmusicman) Also comments from users that it is happending from media library playing. Fixed in V4Beta5
36] Some people seeing small black borders around about.jpg on Video Wall. While they are not there when using conventional Media Library about.jpg browsing in zoom mode. In media browser it is in full screen mode, and in video wall is smaller and centered in the middle of the screen. Red rectangle (under screen size settings) is set to max possible. (logged by MarioB) Fixed in V4Beta5
40] Feature on Video Wall requested by many: Folder support 3 level deep in stead of 2 level deep. This would make it possible to put all series under One Genre folder in the Video Wall. Feature added in V4Beta5
44] Video Wall: When the image is called folder.JPG it doesn't display, but when it's called folder.jpg (all lower case) it does. This is not an issue in the Media Libraray, just on the videowall (logged by Roof) Fixed in V4Beta5
48] Not able to play mkv media with header compression enabled. Only getting audio but no video. Better compatibility in V4Beta5 for header compressed mkv files.
50] [Internet Radio]: when starting a radio station with a long genre name, Mede8er crashes. Reproduce as follows: search for station: radiohollandonline and start it: Mede8er will crash. Fixed in V4Beta5

Extra note / added since V4beta4:
1] 3 Level folder support on Video Wall
2] Compressed MKV headers now supported
3] Thai GUI
4] Vietnamese GUI
5] Discreet "power off" code for learning remotes

scboley
12-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Known bugs still in latest medebo:

Note number 52 is the reason for all the samba win7 issues. You have to remove windows live essentials for it to work on this and all PM releases and is noted to be fixed in the recent acrbo release posted above.

Following are known bugs in V4beta5 release 6 dec 2010 and majority of bugs waiting for new Realtek SDK merge and are audio related (devs currently working on SDK merge):
1] No PCM audio on on SPDIF /Co-Ax Digital. Extra notes from Dextro:
My receiver shows the sign PCM 32 or 48 (depending on the video I use) but only if the "Downmix 2 CH" setting is selected. Still no sound if a 2CH (Stereo only) video is played and the SPDIF "Passthough Multi CH" is selected.
This NO SOUND also applies to HDMI output. I mean, no matter which setting I would select for the HDMI ouput, If a Stereo video is played and "Passthrough Multi CH" is selected on the SPDIF no sound comes out through any output.
3] creation of the movie, image and music folder after updating firmware or entering movie wall. This should be disabled.
4] 5 sec delay before an audio file starts to play (Music Player). Also long pauzes between when playing multiple tracks.
5] If you use Vol Up/Down during Music Play the Player does not come back
9] Dolby True HD does not always work on 1080p 60HZ when source is on USB drive or network. Need to change setting to 50hz. ------------ Awaiting audio patch file from Realtek.
10] BDMV files do not play as folder over NFS
11] when network is instable (simulate by unplugging cable) when in VideoWall browsing movie icons, mede8er hang and finally will bomb. This is not happening when doing the same in NFS network share on Video Wall
12] desired: feature to be able to put HDMI sound and SPDIF sound to off. Now both are on always. A user should be able to choose: All on or only one on.
16] italic tag (<i>) inside SRT/SMI/SSA not working. e.g. Giving <i>I amar prestar aen.</i> In stead of Italic without the codes around.
17] browsing about.jpg in zoomed mode with a file structure with 10 or more VIDEO_TS structure folders: Mede8er looses track and starts wrong movie or gives error when you try to start a movie.
19] When adding an usb device in standby mode or hot-plug while running, USB device not seen over samba link from PC. Need to toggle NAS from ON to OFF to ON to get it visable over samba connection. When doing cold boot (starting from power off mode) with usb device attached, it is immediately visable over samba link-> But only one usb device if 2 are connected.
25] Some movies when started from video wall only have sound for a few seconds. Pausing and re-starting makes no difference but skipping forward 1 chapter and back again gives sound ok. These are full dvd rip to iso - nothing removed from original. All work ok from media library. [logged by Shamus]
26] On mede8er start up my tv gives "unsupported audio format" message - happens no matter what audio setting I use. Connected to tv by hdmi [logged by Shamus] TV is a TV Sony Bravia KLV40V550A connected HDMI
27] TV series drop down in video wall gives wrong order - eg series 1, series 2,... series10, series 11 show as series 1,
series10, series 11, series 2,.... [logged by Shamus]
Note: not really a bug. You need to use naming convention 01, 02,03 etc.
28] PPPoE bug reported many times before i.e. using PPPoE causes lan ip address to change when mede8er starts and lose lan connection. [logged by Shamus]
31] when playing mp3s screen saver flickers badly in some cases. The logo is ok it is the track name and artist details that flicker. (logged by Shamus)
33] After changing volume - need to press INFO twice to get audio player back (logged by Insomniac)
35] (Intermittend): Some of my Divx movies have scratchy sound. Not all of them but some of them and they did not have it in previous versions. Using HDMI Passthrough. (logged by Ricardo).
Extra comment on this by MarioB: I've also noticed this. My audio setting is HDMI downmix. For example, if I play a Movie or TV Show and press skip on the remote sometimes after sound start to play again it's "scratchy" with a lot of noise. If I press pause and play again or skip, or jump to another location in the file everything is OK again. This happens randomly...
37] [Spdif sound]: when putting settings on spdif passtrough, music files are not decoding right. Getting a multi channel signal on 2 channel music files. When I want to play music I have to put te settings to downmix to get sound, when in passthrough setting I get digital hiss. When playing flac files with settings to digital passtrough works fine. When playing mp3 files does not work and have to switch settings to 2 channel downmix. Using passthrough gives digital noice/hiss. (logged by rolandvb) This might be related to bug [1].
38] Mede8er not consistent on labeling external hard disk via usb. When 2 usb disks are attached, the path is random giving C: and D: This gives problems when adding shortcuts for the Video Wall. Possible solution: Video Wall should look for Hard Disk Label name and not hard disk drive letter. (logged by Auren)
39] Getting intermittend message on tv "Audio data error - too slow" when playing mp4's. These played ok with 3.0.4 (logged by Shamus)
41] Internet Radio by SPDIF "passtrough" worked fine in 3.04. Now in 4B4 I have to set it to "downmix 2ch" to get sound when playing mp3 files on Internet radio.
42] HD Audio on DD+ unit: DTS-MA and TrueHD bitstream fine in BDMV (Blu-ray structure) or remuxed m2ts, though TrueHD is reported as MLP 2ch when pressing the in info button. (Onkyo displays DTS-MA and Dolby-TrueHD)
DTS-MA does not bitstream inside mkv container, only the DTS core is bitstreamed (Onkyo displays DTS).
TrueHD does not bistream inside mkv container and no audio is played back at all, not even Dolby Digital core.The audio is reported as an unsupported audio format.
Multichannel FLAC inside an mkv plays back as stereo.
(logged by djphatic)
43] There seems to be a 1024 kb filesize limit on about.jpg. When browsing in about.jpg zoom mode, about.jpg files that are bigger then 1MB don't show, while they showed on previous 3.0.4 version. However on Video Wall, the about.jpg file bigger then 1024 kb are showing.
45] Using Wifi connection with dongle: Internet time still is only synced when selected from the setup menu, not after the USB wireless make a network connection. (logged by leuk_he)
46] [SPDIF]: When SPDIF on Passthrough Multi CH: When playing 2 Channel movies there is no sound. (logged by ThuNd3r)
47] Playlist format changed. Playlists made on 3.0.4 don't work on V4Beta4. HDD now needs to be HDD: (logged by 444YYY)
49] [Internet Radio]: When searching for an internet radio station or genre with the search function, just enter anything with an "&" in it (i.e. R&B, R&R, etc.), press OK and the MED500 soft reboots
51] [Feature request]: possibility to change default workgroup under network options.
52] [Network share connection]: Getting logon failed messages on shares after installing Windows Live Essenstials 2011. Workaround: remove WLE 2011.

sam
12-10-2010, 02:13 AM
You can also check this link for the Medebo 4861 Firmware:
http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22804&postcount=807
go down to where it says:

Here is the MedeBO 4861 image

Medebo firmware has a Video Wall feature which is really great. You can generate your info sheets using Thumbgen. I am using it right now. It looks great.

Please Note: Before you Flash your PBO with any none official/moded firmware, make sure to read the Disclaimer and also, the paragraph above that on that sam page where the firmware image is.

mwhimpey
12-10-2010, 02:23 AM
I really like the Mede8er interface. Could someone point me in the right direction, perhaps to a post describing how to install Mede8er on the PBO? I have two PBO's. One is BC 23 and one BC 26. Both have P61 running. Is there a post somewhere that expains how to flash the Mede8er firmware to the PBO? Can I flash back to the PM firmware if I'm not satisfied with Mede8er? What is Medebo?

Thanks for you help.

scboley
12-10-2010, 02:36 AM
I really like the Mede8er interface. Could someone point me in the right direction, perhaps to a post describing how to install Mede8er on the PBO? I have two PBO's. One is BC 23 and one BC 26. Both have P61 running. Is there a post somewhere that expains how to flash the Mede8er firmware to the PBO? Can I flash back to the PM firmware if I'm not satisfied with Mede8er? What is Medebo?

Thanks for you help.
Its exactly the same as doing the patriot firmware load it on usb fat32 and go to the menu and flash. Medebo is the hacked version that will run on pbo thus the name medebo and acrbo for the acryan versions. You can go back and forth between the versions and all the hacked versions work on all bootcodes.

mwhimpey
12-10-2010, 04:01 AM
Its exactly the same as doing the patriot firmware load it on usb fat32 and go to the menu and flash. Medebo is the hacked version that will run on pbo thus the name medebo and acrbo for the acryan versions. You can go back and forth between the versions and all the hacked versions work on all bootcodes.

Thanks! I was able to find medeb. Where can I find acrbo?

mwhimpey
12-10-2010, 04:08 AM
You can also check this link for the Medebo 4861 Firmware:
go down to where it says:

Here is the MedeBO 4861 image

Medebo firmware has a Video Wall feature which is really great. You can generate your info sheets using Thumbgen. I am using it right now. It looks great.

Please Note: Before you Flash your PBO with any none official/moded firmware, make sure to read the Disclaimer and also, the paragraph above that on that sam page where the firmware image is.

@Sam. Thanks. That appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. Any pointers on how to set up the required file structure? I downloaded Thumbgen...

aasoror
12-10-2010, 04:17 AM
Thanks! I was able to find medeb. Where can I find acrbo?

In the very same post. :rolleyes:

scboley
12-10-2010, 04:23 AM
@Sam. Thanks. That appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. Any pointers on how to set up the required file structure? I downloaded Thumbgen...
Make your sheet name 0001.jpg and the cover has to be named folder.jpg (edited had it wrong) and if you want it to be responsive get the 500k size album art from amazon for the covers.

snappy46
12-10-2010, 05:04 AM
Make your sheet name 0001 and the cover has to be named cover and if you want it to be responsive get the 500k size album art from amazon for the covers.

It would appear from reading mwhimpey's post that he will be using the medebo firmware. If that is the case he should name his sheet about.jpg vs 0001.

scboley
12-10-2010, 05:48 AM
It would appear from reading mwhimpey's post that he will be using the medebo firmware. If that is the case he should name his sheet about.jpg vs 0001.
Snappy I use 0001 and it works on medebo just fine but the cover has to be named folder.jpg to work which is same as most music programs force album art to be folder.jpg.

snappy46
12-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Snappy I use 0001 and it works on medebo just fine but the cover has to be named cover.jpg to work which is odd as most music programs force album art to be folder.jpg.

Good to know I did not know that.

Thanks for the info.

scboley
12-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Good to know I did not know that.

Thanks for the info.
Sorry I have to change that medebo requires folder.jpg just like album art and I looked at the wrong folder that doesn't work to get the filenames lol.......so make the cover name folder.jpg and the sheet can be 0001.jpg and medebo will work just fine. I also have thumbgen creating extra files of moviename.jpg and extra.jpg as well just in case I would need them for any other firmware and need to rename them to keep it working with multiple versions.

lickity_split
12-10-2010, 01:56 PM
ahhhhhh :) so opinions on the newest medebo upgrade. worth it? looks like big improvement by change-log inf posted.
btw thanks again 1 and all and a happy holiday season too.:D

scboley
12-10-2010, 02:39 PM
ahhhhhh :) so opinions on the newest medebo upgrade. worth it? looks like big improvement by change-log inf posted.
Well it has the mkv header issue resolved and will support 3 folders deep on the wall now which are 2 pretty big changes and a lot of small bug fixes. They stated they were waiting on a merge from realtek to finish a lot of the other things. The acrbo states it has fixes for the win7 samba issues so guess they got the merge first?????

mwhimpey
12-10-2010, 02:51 PM
In the very same post. :rolleyes:

Hehe! Sorry. But could you please elaborate on ACRBO European/Asian versions? I assume that the European version simply has english fonts/characters? That would most likely be the one that I want?

scboley
12-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Hehe! Sorry. But could you please elaborate on ACRBO European/Asian versions? I assume that the European version simply has english fonts/characters? That would most likely be the one that I want?
Yes European has english and support for european language fonts and the asian is english and a lot of the various asian fonts.

warzouing
12-10-2010, 03:55 PM

I did try it and gave up for the following reasons :
- except for the look, comparing to ACRBO, it's still missing the Internet Feeds like Picasa, Weather, News, Flicker etc..
- for some reasons, the machine just shut down by itself once in a while.
- it does not have anything that the others don't even comparing to the PBO stock firmware.
I forget to mention that comparing to the previous versions, this one did support Vietnamese Unicode .SRT subtitle. I think this should be a must for them as they start selling their product in Vietnam.
Right now I'm still testing ACRBO 4824 and so far so good, the only reason that keeps me away from the PBO P61 version is the Vietnamese subtitle otherwise this one is the best one so far with the introduction of different music play mode (shuffle, repeat etc...).

si1verfish
12-10-2010, 04:38 PM
I did try it and gave up for the following reasons :
- except for the look, comparing to ACRBO, it's still missing the Internet Feeds like Picasa, Weather, News, Flicker etc..
- for some reasons, the machine just shut down by itself once in a while.
- it does not have anything that the others don't even comparing to the PBO stock firmware.

For playback/organizing/display of my media (the reason I own the device), I prefer the medebo by a wide, WIDE margin. Adding Video Wall bookmarks, from any local/usb/network location, is sweet/simple - that's a big one the others don't do. And then there's the look :D. If you don't care about feeds, my vote is medebo.

Also, aasoror updated the firmware file yesterday - the "shut down" issue is fixed. Mine's been 100% stable since.

I had HDMI issues with previous ACRBO and my TV.

aasoror
12-10-2010, 04:49 PM
And then there's the look :D. If you don't care about feeds, my vote is medebo.

I have to agree, at least until this (http://www.acryan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66591#p66591)is released ;)

scboley
12-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I have to agree, at least until this (http://www.acryan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66591#p66591)is released ;)
If it is like he's showing it will be the best of all worlds and even better because they're going simplistic with all functions in the background so way less clicks to perform operations.....going to use what I'd assume is a database of all the media objects to present a wall like function like medebo has but for all the media types......very nice indeed.....these guys are very end user minded for the development which is a very nice twist.

si1verfish
12-10-2010, 06:07 PM
... until this (http://www.acryan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66591#p66591)is released ;)

oh man. that is definitely boss.

T_Tronix
12-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I went on this site:

But I am all confused, the update dates are all over the place and the releases are not in order :)

Whats the latest and stable release to date?

T_Tronix
12-10-2010, 06:17 PM

Some sleek look thats for sure!

scboley
12-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I went on this site:

But I am all confused, the update dates are all over the place and the releases are not in order :)

Whats the latest and stable release to date?
Look and you will see that they are released in order of newest to oldest and look below the build number and you will see that they are different firmware types completely. Currently the first one is the latest acrbo and then the 2nd one is the latest medebo which are 2 different repackages of hacked firmware to run on pbo. They are both stable and just very different in look and features. Load each of them and actually play with them a bit before you decide which one you like the most.

So they run newest to oldest with the different types intermingled together.

aasoror
12-10-2010, 06:38 PM
the update dates are all over the place and the releases are not in order :)

I suggest you re-read the post once more,
The firmwares in the post are organized newer to older (top down). Latest ACRBO is the top ACR and latest MedeBO is the top MedeBO

T_Tronix
12-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Look and you will see that they are released in order of newest to oldest and look below the build number and you will see that they are different firmware types completely. Currently the first one is the latest acrbo and then the 2nd one is the latest medebo which are 2 different repackages of hacked firmware to run on pbo. They are both stable and just very different in look and features. Load each of them and actually play with them a bit before you decide which one you like the most.

So they run newest to oldest with the different types intermingled together.

Thanks!

Just got the ACRBO 4824, nice and clean seems stable so far.

T_Tronix
12-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I suggest you re-read the post once more,
The firmwares in the post are organized newer to older (bottom down). Latest ACRBO is the top ACR and latest MedeBO is the top MedeBO

The dates are hard to tell between the month and day part lol so I got confused... :rolleyes:

aasoror
12-10-2010, 06:41 PM
The dates are hard to tell between the month and day part lol so I got confused... :rolleyes:

They are DD/MM/YYYY
Best of luck.

snappy46
12-10-2010, 07:30 PM
They are DD/MM/YYYY
Best of luck.

Yeah I believe this is the Canadian way to represent the dates; the American way I believe use the month first then the day maybe that is where things get confusing.

scboley
12-10-2010, 07:44 PM
But it would be easier to put bigger headings and separate the medebo from the acrbo since now there are 2 medebo versions.

aasoror
12-10-2010, 09:13 PM

I am not sure they are demoing what they can do with the PlayON but rather what the "yet to be released" Realtek SDK provides for them.

There is no way ACR would be able to pull that by themselves (look at their best efforts for the last year which is merely changing the backgrounds ;) )

I tend (hope) to believe that all the firmwares (PBO, ACR and Mede8er) will be getting most of these goodies under the newer SDK.

lickity_split
12-10-2010, 11:38 PM
I tend (hope) to believe that all the firmwares (PBO, ACR and Mede8er) will be getting most of these goodies under the newer SDK.

yep, fingers crossed & thanks for all the input guys. until then I'm happily sticking to the medebo upgrades churned out here.

sam
12-11-2010, 05:28 AM
Does the acrbo or any of the firmware support Netflix?

I know that Medebo does not, I am using it right now. I really like the Video Wall Feature of Medebo. I hate to loose it. But I also need something that I can use my Netflix account to watch movies. I can always reflash to Medebo when I want to use Video Wall.

Sam.

aasoror
12-11-2010, 05:58 AM
Does the acrbo or any of the firmware support Netflix?

I know that Medebo does not, I am using it right now. I really like the Video Wall Feature of Medebo. I hate to loose it. But I also need something that I can use my Netflix account to watch movies. I can always reflash to Medebo when I want to use Video Wall.

Sam.

No need to worry, NONE can natively support netflix. :)
That said, ALL will support it via UPnP (you will need a playon.tv subscription + a PC running on the network)

sam
12-11-2010, 06:24 AM
That said, ALL will support it via UPnP (you will need a playon.tv subscription + a PC running on the network)

Darn, Will, I think it is probably easier to hookup Wii to the bigscreen.

Thanks,
Sam.

tskitishvili
12-11-2010, 07:08 AM
Have anyone seen how netflix supported by Seagate FreeAgent Theater+?

aasoror
12-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Have anyone seen how netflix supported by Seagate FreeAgent Theater+?

oh yes I forgot about that (and WDTV Live plus too), was thinking about NF.CA not US.

Any way, the problem is the latest FAT+ firmware (with NF support) is AES encrypted additionally once you install it it turns off telnet. Even worse, there is no pins for serial connection to it (can't dump via the RT monitor). I am sure the solder points in there on the PCB but I think no one was interested enough in getting inside the box.

wigout
12-11-2010, 01:36 PM
"Any way, the problem is the latest FAT+ firmware (with NF support) is AES encrypted additionally once you install it it turns off telnet. Even worse, there is no pins for serial connection to it (can't dump via the RT monitor). I am sure the solder points in there on the PCB but I think no one was interested enough in getting inside the box."

Well...
the current firmware (fw2.2) can be decrypted- search for unaes on the freeagent forums or minimodding.com)
telnet has been running by default but password was unknown
latest version has a clear password (no password) so telnet login is possible

There are two uart ports on the fat+ (like on most rtd1073dd players)
uart0 is the serial console and is read only- you can hook up a cable and read but key presses are not accepted
uart1 has no pins and I don't think anyone has reported on any of the players what, if anything, uart1 outputs.

-wigout

T_Tronix
12-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Do you think they will support or is there a way to support NZB rather then torrents?

gabe
12-11-2010, 03:39 PM
If you want NZB, EM7080 has it:
http://www.eminent-online.com/en/product/301/1/eminent-hd-media-player-em7080-hdmedia-rt.html

wigout
12-11-2010, 03:45 PM
And through /opt (http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2942) (optware/ipkg-cl) the following package is available:

Package: nzbget
Version: 0.7.0-1
Depends: ncurses, libxml2, libpar2, openssl
Conflicts: nzbget-testing
Section: net
Architecture: mipsel
Maintainer: NSLU2 Linux <nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com>
MD5Sum: d51ccb21a4a682c447a54843f206826e
Size: 203523
Filename: nzbget_0.7.0-1_mipsel.ipk
Source: http://easynews.dl.sf.net/sourceforge/nzbget/nzbget-0.7.0.tar.gz
Description: A command-line client/server based binary newsgrabber for nzb-files (latest stable version).
see http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/oleg/cross/stable/Packages for the full list of pacakages available through opt.

aasoror
12-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Well...
the current firmware (fw1.22) can be decrypted- search for unaes on the freeagent forums or minimodding.com)
telnet has been runing bydefault by password was unknown
latest version has a clear password (no password) so telnet login is possible

There are two uart ports on the fat+ (like on most rtd1073dd players)
uart0 is the serial console and is read only- you can hook up a cable and read but key presses are not accepted
uart1 has no pins and I don't think anyone has reported on any of the players what, if anything, uart1 outputs.

-wigout

Thanks for the update wigout, it has been a while since I have looked into FAT+, apparently lots has happened in the last several months.

ImpulsE69
12-11-2010, 07:42 PM
This works great and thumbgen is a breeze. Thanks for the info.

sam
12-11-2010, 08:20 PM

I think the new Medebo 4861 firmware supports 3 level folders. I am still trying to convert some of my movie structure to the 3 level deep feature. If you don't try it before I do, I will let you know if it works. :D

Movies (folder)
Action (folder)
Matrix (folder)
Matrix1... (mediafile winthin a folder)
Matrix2... mediafile)

Sam

lickity_split
12-11-2010, 08:35 PM
CRAP!!!
I just upgraded to the Medebo ( newest). darn thing came upo in PAL mode. can't read it good enough to find the part to swith back to american mode.

I can get to setup-video - then can't figure it after that to switch out of PAL.

can anyone here please post a screenshot so I can see the menu under video to switch out of PAL please?

lickity_split
12-11-2010, 09:01 PM
duh,duh,duh-
forget it. figured it out. just hit the "tv system" button and it reverts to next mode. if not press again until it does. takes a second so be patient.
:rolleyes:

1up
12-12-2010, 01:25 PM
hi guys, after reading some specific posts on these forums i decided to load up the Medebo firmware so i too could have dvd cover art and after playing around with the new Medebo firmware i absoloutly love it (simple for the kids to use :)).
there is just one issue i seem to be having which has been driving me crazy for the last few nights as i havnt been able to fix the problem.

i just cant seem to be able to get the about.jpeg image to be visible when using the video wall. i have used YAMJ to Mede8er (latest) to create the required folder and about images.

the dvd covers (folder.jpeg) are visible and working fine it's just when i select a dvd the screen then goes all black (this is when the about.jpeg should be visible). if i press enter again the movie will start or if i press return then i go back to the video wall.

i am sure i have it all setup corectly
Movies>
Belle's Magical World (1998)>
Belle's Magical World (1998).avi
about.jpeg
folder.jpeg

should i try and use thumbgen instead to create the required files? i havnt tried yet as initially thumbgen seems a little daunting so i've stuck with using YAMJ to Mede8er for the last few nights (and you know where that got me :))

but if anyone could shed some light on possible solutions it would be very much apreciated.

lickity_split
12-12-2010, 02:19 PM
anyone getting reboots if they fast forward a netflix vid using medebo upgrade and playon to stream netflix? trying to figure if this is a playon thing or a medebo thing. I'm guessing medebo bug as this did not happen before I upgraded to newest vers.

sam
12-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I have had some reboots on the Internet Radio connection. Not all the time but some times it would play for a while and then just reboot.

Sam

angga039
12-13-2010, 03:12 AM
I have had some reboots on the Internet Radio connection. Not all the time but some times it would play for a while and then just reboot.

Sam

Same here, at previous MEDEBO shutdown happen frequently,

but the new upload seems to more stable, bunt andagain it shutdown itself in the middle of movies,

......... it seems it's got something got to do with "discreete power off for teaching remote" what ever that means.......

just my noob assumption

-regard:)

aasoror
12-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Same here, at previous MEDEBO shutdown happen frequently,

but the new upload seems to more stable, bunt andagain it shutdown itself in the middle of movies,

......... it seems it's got something got to do with "discreete power off for teaching remote" what ever that means.......

just my noob assumption

-regard:)

If you downloaded the MedeBO when it was first released, it was fixed for the shutdown issue, redownload and reflash.

si1verfish
12-13-2010, 04:45 AM
If you downloaded the MedeBO when it was first released, it was fixed for the shutdown issue, redownload and reflash.

fwiw, I've logged at least 20 hours of playback (mostly mkv/m4v) with zero issues. I can't comment on the radio or the playon/netflix shutdowns though.

avman
12-13-2010, 07:03 AM
[QUOTE=angga039;32979..

-regard:)[/QUOTE]

How does the box present you with that level of detail when the problem occurs?

aasoror
12-13-2010, 07:09 AM
How does the box present you with that level of detail when the problem occurs?

The box doesn't present you with anything, he is quoting the firmware change log :)
That said, this problem is now fixed.

fbueller
12-13-2010, 08:51 PM
I really need my PBO to have video repeat/shuffle functionality, and I can't find a firmware that does it. Patriot has said it's upcoming in theirs, but it's not in there yet and I can't tell when it will be. Does anyone know a custom that has this functionality? Thanks!

scboley
12-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I really need my PBO to have video repeat/shuffle functionality, and I can't find a firmware that does it. Patriot has said it's upcoming in theirs, but it's not in there yet and I can't tell when it will be. Does anyone know a custom that has this functionality? Thanks!
If you need this for like a demo purpose you could go in and pick a random order and change the filenames starting with numbers and order the numbers how you would want it to play and make sure they're in the same folder.....know it's not really any feature that way but if you have a purpose for the random it would work in the meantime.

fbueller
12-13-2010, 10:01 PM
If you need this for like a demo purpose you could go in and pick a random order and change the filenames starting with numbers and order the numbers how you would want it to play and make sure they're in the same folder.....know it's not really any feature that way but if you have a purpose for the random it would work in the meantime.

Thanks but that's a pretty wonky workaround. It's to display a random mix of music videos on a large screen. There are hundreds of the videos so a shuffle would really be the best move. Plus they're off a hard drive attached to the PBO so renaming would be a pain.

Any other ideas on video shuffle-supporting firmware?

scboley
12-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks but that's a pretty wonky workaround. It's to display a random mix of music videos on a large screen. There are hundreds of the videos so a shuffle would really be the best move. Plus they're off a hard drive attached to the PBO so renaming would be a pain.

Any other ideas on video shuffle-supporting firmware?
Yes it is wonky but sadly the only option you have......nothing in any firmware is available yet so you'd have to randomize the files so that the pbo reads them in its normal numeric/alpha order it does it in......maybe look for a program that can mass randomize the files in the folder and append a number to the first of the filename would be an easier choice than manually doing it.

1up
12-14-2010, 03:54 AM
thanks everyone for trying to help, i finally solved my problem.. yah!

turns out it must have been a bad upgrade, i had used a 1gb flash drive to originally upgrade. so this time i used a 2gb flash drive (did a full format first) and then did another install of the medebo firmware and presto.. everything works as intended. my about images are now visible!.

thanks

mwhimpey
12-14-2010, 04:22 AM
On your "Makeover" link in your signature, the latest ACRBO firmware (4824) file also extracts a pdf "Readme" file that states "This firmware version requires at least v7.3.x.r3582 or later installed in your unit." Does this apply to the ACRBO version as well? Or can I simply flash with ACRBO_v7.3.4.r4824_Euro regardless of what is presently loaded on my box? I currently have MedeBO_V4Beta5_6_december_2010 running (and like it), but I was just wanting to try out ARCBO.

Also, when flashing firmware does it matter what firmware is presently loaded on the box? For example, can I go from P05 to P61 to MedeBo to ACRBO back to P61r2 and then back to MedeBo and so forth? The only firmware that I've been able to identify where this may be an issue is with megapack (P61-Beta- (BC16+).mega.YT.4opt) where you apparently need to flash P02 prior to installing. Is this correct?

Thanks! These forums and the contributions that have been made by yourself and others are wonderful for us "noobs"!

scboley
12-14-2010, 04:24 AM
On your "Makeover" link in your signature, the latest ACRBO firmware (4824) file also extracts a pdf "Readme" file that states "This firmware version requires at least v7.3.x.r3582 or later installed in your unit." Does this apply to the ACRBO version as well? Or can I simply flash with ACRBO_v7.3.4.r4824_Euro regardless of what is presently loaded on my box? I currently have MedeBO_V4Beta5_6_december_2010 running (and like it), but I was just wanting to try out ARCBO.

Also, when flashing firmware does it matter what firmware is presently loaded on the box? For example, can I go from P05 to P61 to MedeBo to ACRBO back to P61r2 and then back to MedeBo and so forth? The only firmware that I've been able to identify where this may be an issue is with megapack (P61-Beta- (BC16+).mega.YT.4opt) where you apparently need to flash P02 prior to installing. Is this correct?

Thanks! These forums and the contributions that have been made by yourself and others are wonderful for us "noobs"!
He has stated on here in many places that all the altered alternate firmware are boot code neutral because they are converted to yaffs2 filesystem and not the squash that requires the higher bootcodes.

aasoror
12-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Does this apply to the ACRBO version as well?
Nope.

Or can I simply flash with ACRBO_v7.3.4.r4824_Euro regardless of what is presently loaded on my box?
Yes

For example, can I go from P05 to P61 to MedeBo to ACRBO back to P61r2 and then back to MedeBo and so forth?

True unless (as you noted) you are moving between PBO (namely P53) and Semi-officials.

mwhimpey
12-14-2010, 04:37 AM
@AASOROR and SCBOLEY,

Thanks for the quick replies! Do you guy's ever sleep? :)

scboley
12-14-2010, 04:45 AM
Well I'm my own business owner and on the track to become independently wealthy so why sleep lol....

lickity_split
12-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Well I'm my own business owner and on the track to become independently wealthy so why sleep lol....

translation = too much time on their hands. :p

steven994
12-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Is there any firmware that can grey out or distinguish between viewed and unviewed files? Would be nice to easily keep track of which episode you last watched in a tv series.

scboley
12-14-2010, 06:29 PM
medebo has an option where it turns on little eyeballs for what you've watched....just need to turn it on in setup is quite handy.

NiteShdw
12-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Are there patched versions of the PlayOn 3.0 firmwares that work on the PBO? I just flashed the 4824, but I'm really intrigued by the new functions available in the 3.0 firmwares. I haven't been around in a while so I'm trying to catch up. I searched the forums and didn't see anything about patched 3.0 firmwares to work with the PBO and PBO remote.

pulsar123
12-14-2010, 11:31 PM

I am in the same situation. But at least I know that video shuffle is possible with streamers - my 5-years old Buffalo Linktheaters and 2 years old Popcorn Hour have no problem shuffling through anything (video, photo, musics), with thousands of items in multi-level folders - when I feed them with myiHome server run on my desktop. If only somebody could figure out how to use myiHome from PBO (see my other post in this forum (http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5311)) - right now PBO cannot even detect it.

sam
12-14-2010, 11:58 PM
Are there patched versions of the PlayOn 3.0 firmwares that work on the PBO? I just flashed the 4824, but I'm really intrigued by the new functions available in the 3.0 firmwares. I haven't been around in a while so I'm trying to catch up. I searched the forums and didn't see anything about patched 3.0 firmwares to work with the PBO and PBO remote.

If you mean are there any patched version that has built-in Playon features, then no not any of them. But you can install playon on your pc and use the UPNP feature of the PBO. Regardless of the firmware patched or not as long as it has the UPNP feature in the Network section then Playon will be seen on your PBO provided you configure your pc properly.

Sam.

NiteShdw
12-15-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm talking about the PlayOnHD! firmware. From what I saw on the AC Ryan site, the 3.0.x firmwares are built on the Realtek SDK version 3, which apparently adds a lot of features and improved UI over the older version 2 SDK that the PBO firmware is based on. Am I reading that wrong? I found the information in the PlayOnHD! forum.

I understand that some of the PlayOn features like streaming Netflix are supported with the PlayOn desktop software and aren't built into the firmware of the media player.

aasoror
12-15-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm talking about the PlayOnHD! firmware. From what I saw on the AC Ryan site, the 3.0.x firmwares are built on the Realtek SDK version 3, which apparently adds a lot of features and improved UI over the older version 2 SDK that the PBO firmware is based on. Am I reading that wrong? I found the information in the PlayOnHD! forum.

I understand that some of the PlayOn features like streaming Netflix are supported with the PlayOn desktop software and aren't built into the firmware of the media player.

Unfortunately you are reading this wrong.

The PlayON!HD the media player has nothing to do with the PlayOn the desktop UPnP server software.

That said, both latest released PBO firmware and the ACR PlayON!HD firmware are based on SKD 3.0, neither has yet released any firmware based on SDK 4.

Additionally, latest PlayON!HD firmware is already available for the PBO, check the makeover link in my signature below.

steven994
12-15-2010, 10:57 AM
works great, thanks!

sam
12-16-2010, 02:51 AM
O.K. update on the Medebo 4861 3 level deep folders.

Here is how I found it to work:

---------- Movies (folder)
------------------Action (folder)
-------------------------Matrix (folder)
-------------------------------Enter the Matrix.avi
-------------------------------Matrix Revolution.avi
-------------------------------Matrix.......avi

You can place all of the Matrix movies in a folder and a Pulldown list will be displayed when you press the 'Matrix' to select and play any of the Matrix movie series. This can be helpful if you have TV Shows also, placing an entire season in one folder and select an episode from the list.

This works both Medebo firmwares: You can place a nice folder.jpg image file in the Movies, Action, and Matrix folders to show up on the Video Wall. Each folder image representing that folders role on Video Wall. I have played with image files as large as 366k x 520 from some DVD covers from say, Action movie that looked really nice. May be larger ones would be ok too.

Sam.

Street Gang
12-16-2010, 11:56 PM
... This can be helpful if you have TV Shows also, placing an entire season in one folder and select an episode from the list.

...You can place a nice folder.jpg image file in the Movies, Action, and Matrix folders to show up on the Video Wall. Each folder image representing that folders role on Video Wall.

Oh hot damn. This is good stuff.

mwhimpey
12-17-2010, 11:27 PM
@AASOROR: Is there any possibility of getting customized firmware for the Mede8er patched for the PBO? See this link (http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,2544.0.html) or this one (http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,3397.0.html). I would like to control my PBO with the Ipad remote...

aasoror
12-18-2010, 07:23 AM
@AASOROR: Is there any possibility of getting customized firmware for the Mede8er patched for the PBO? See this link (http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,2544.0.html) or this one (http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,3397.0.html). I would like to control my PBO with the Ipad remote...

First link has is based on an older firmware, if you go that way you lose lots of functions (features and compatibility), second link has no firmware released in it yet ;)

That said, the web remote is already there. Jut type "http://PBO.IP.ADDRESS:1024/" in any web browser you like.

Best of luck

hzor
12-20-2010, 11:28 AM
There is a new ACR product with new GUI firmware, can it be patched to PBO or its not compatible with PBo at all?
Playon!HD Essential - PV73500_v5.0.4_r679 http://www.acryan.com/downloads/PV73500/Firmware_PV73500_v5.0.4_r697.zip

Thanks.

aasoror
12-20-2010, 04:25 PM
My system:
PBO bootcode: 18
Running patched ACRyan FW (4318)
Wired LAN, NFS mounts to WinXP Pro (Cygwin NFS server)
Internal 160GB HD
HDMI to Samsung 40in Model: UN40C6300SF
SPDIF out to Yamaha Receiver

As per the custom firmware download page, please direct any post installation problems to the appropriate forums linked in the release notes of each firmware.

Thanks for understanding.

Guys, if you can offer any help to creicks please do it over PMs.

Thanks again,

aasoror
12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
There is a new ACR product with new GUI firmware, can it be patched to PBO or its not compatible with PBo at all?
Playon!HD Essential - PV73500_v5.0.4_r679 http://www.acryan.com/downloads/PV73500/Firmware_PV73500_v5.0.4_r697.zip

Thanks.

They are different chipsets, we can only patiently wait till the original Playon!HD gets that update.

Street Gang
12-20-2010, 07:45 PM
What do you guys think about this?

http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=33594

Someone on the Mede8er forum claiming to have lost clarity on the look of their videos after installing the medebo firmware on their PBO.

I installed the medebo firmware on my PBO before I ever tested any 1080p files. Anyone think there's any merit to these claims? Might the medebo firmware be applying or not applying some sort of post-processing that the PBO's firmware is not?

Like that guy I love the videowall, but I can't say I want to lose any quality on an 8 GB to 15 GB file.

lickity_split
12-20-2010, 10:56 PM

Someone on the Mede8er forum claiming to have lost clarity on the look of their videos after installing the medebo firmware on their PBO.

I think :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: loose lips, sink ships.;)

tskitishvili
12-20-2010, 11:50 PM
There will be no more acrbo or medebo releases, that is what I think

http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,3496.0.html

http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=33594

I installed the medebo firmware on my PBO before I ever tested any 1080p files. Anyone think there's any merit to these claims? Might the medebo firmware be applying or not applying some sort of post-processing that the PBO's firmware is not?

Like that guy I love the videowall, but I can't say I want to lose any quality on an 8 GB to 15 GB file.

lickity_split
12-21-2010, 12:39 AM
There will be no more acrbo or medebo releases, that is what I think

http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,3496.0.html

:( :( :(
like I said. loose lips - sink ships.
too bad some humans lack common sense and basic intelligence. these kind ruin it for all every time.

my thanks to all who worked so hard and shared so well.

my disdain for those that mess up wet dreams.

scboley
12-21-2010, 12:41 AM
First off the file is digital and not any kind of media based so there is no way that a loss of quality could happen from the player altering the file.

Second if you do post on the acr or mede8er forums don't say you're using anything else and be intelligent enough to ask as if you're using their native player duhhhhh.

Now to calm things down a bit mede8er does have a thread in their forum related to running non mede8er forums on thier boxes....they post a warning that it could brick the box but other than that and a warranty warning they do not strip or block any talk on the matter.

Be smarter than you are being people and if you don't know what to do private message one of the guys thats been around here a while and ask thier opinion before going on a wild goose chase.

aasoror
12-21-2010, 02:34 AM
Here is the Mede8er thread (http://www.mede8erforum.com/index.php/topic,2084.0.html) about alternative firmwares.
A single thread with 24 posts (started May and last post is November).
- How many posts in that thread asking post installation questions regarding the alternative firmwares ? 0.
- How many posts in that thread containing downloadable links to other firmwares ? 3. (2 of which are with dead links already).
- How many threads beside that 2 page thread is created all around the forums for people asking how to get how to do music shuffle under x-firmware ? 0.
- How many posts in other threads suggesting cross flashing as fix to a potential medeBO problem ? 0.

Mede8er mods doesn't reply in warnings, Mede8er mods actually edit every single post proposing an alternative firmware and adds the following in RED bold font.

MOD EDIT:
Please be advised that this author's proposal goes against the official view on installing non-Mede8er firmware on your units.
Certain firmware is known to write security identifiers which will irrecoverably prevent the future installation of authentic Mede8er firmware.
You do stand to void your warranty if your unit is bricked as a result of curious experimentation - if you do this then you are on your own...
Please consider this disclaimer carefully before you choose to continue on this path.
The only conclusion that will come of this experiment will be the realisation that the Mede8er firmware experience is better...

Mede8er with its very limited open discussion of alternative firmwares are not the exception (check any official manufacturer forum) in fact the exception is the PBO "official manufacturer forum" with a 1638 posts thread discussing alternative firmwares, 12 exclusively released alternative firmware images and suggestions to try alternative firmwares tossed at (almost) every single thread anywhere in the forum.

Despite how smart was that PBO owner on the mede8er forum he was not welcomed there (which is understandable) on the other hand owners of the clones and those attempting to run PBO firmwares on their RT boxes are always helped here by fellow members, the reason is you can usually relate to whatever questions they are asking (being on the PBO firmware at the end of the day) and any resolution they reach would be of benefit to the all PBO owners. That same logic would go against discussing any non-PM firmware here.

Please all new comers reconsider reading this (http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21627&postcount=658)for an explanation for why doesn't it make sense to post alternative firmwares post-installation problems here.

There is a place for any thing on the internet, consider AVSForums, MPCClub or the zillion of other multimedia hardware discussion forums (in all known languages to man) and post your questions where it makes sense to post them. Or do it over private messages (as scboley suggested) if you really are so limited on resources that you don't know any place else but here.

Not that it would make a difference any more, though I don't believe in mass punishment but its TSK call.

scboley
12-21-2010, 02:54 AM
There is a place for any thing on the internet, consider AVSForums, MPCClub or the zillion of other multimedia hardware discussion forums (in all known languages to man) and post your questions where it makes sense to post them. Or do it over private messages (as scboley suggested) if you really are so limited on resources that you don't know any place else but here.

Not that it would make a difference any more, though I don't believe in mass punishment but its TSK call.
Maybe this whole discussion should be moved to one of the neutral forums and just put a sticky here pointing to the neutral location and then other box owners could post there about running other firmware on thier rigs as well.

si1verfish
12-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Allowing the cross-flashing of "other" firmware, is not all bad for the competition. Actually, I'm now much more likely to purchase a mede8er or acryan unit in the future because of it. I hadn't heard of either before this thread. From their standpoint, cross-flashers have already bought a competing product, but passively allowing such hacks may actually bank sales down the road, as I'd be surprised if next gen units will remain hackable in this way.

I'm not trying to justify the shear stupidity of this guy's post or any other misguided hack conversation, just saying it's decent exposure for the "others"... and in the meantime, having hack options is likely a PBO sales driver for some.

sam
12-21-2010, 08:33 AM
mmm is the word. lol

Sam.

tskitishvili
12-23-2010, 01:13 AM
Mass punishment will come from ACR/MED in a form of protection which will be too hard or too time consuming to remove. For example, per my knowledge there is no latest unlocked xtreamer/seagate firmware published anywhere. It is not too hard to guess 'why'.

maddawg
12-23-2010, 02:54 AM
I agree. I bought the PBO mainly because I read the Mods/Hacks threads. I was a member here before I had the PBO. I myself had never heard of mede8er or acryan boxes before the cross flashing. If I like their firmware, their product, their support of product, especially the remote control with its features, I might purchase their next upcoming media player. It is all thanks to the hard work of these guys Aasoror, Tsk, wigout, gmd, Snappy, Scboley who actually introduced us not only to the great capacity of the PBO but also of the mede8er and acryan media players. Their media players are actually getting exposure on this forum. More people are visiting their websites now and they're getting free traffic they don't have to pay for. It would be stupid on their side should they say anything but thanks to all of you and PM.

Sam.
Your logic flawed. Free traffic to their website does not pay the bill. We need to keep our month shut and enjoy their firmware. If not, use the offical. I'm using meebo and happy with it. If this continues we will have no hacked firmware.

sam
12-23-2010, 04:00 AM
Your logic flawed. Free traffic to their website does not pay the bill. We need to keep our month shut and enjoy their firmware. If not, use the offical. I'm using meebo and happy with it. If this continues we will have no hacked firmware.

Guess you don't know how to read between the lines. Businesses pay advertising fees to get the traffic. Lots of people spend thousands of dollars a month just to get some google visibility. This is sure guaranteed traffic. If you're not in that business than you wouldn't know. I wouldn't purchase the pbo if I knew that it was completely locked and I would'nt be able to do anything with it and neither will anyone purchase their boxes.

Sam.

scboley
12-23-2010, 04:06 AM
I'm sure no other 1073dd based outfit wants their firmware work and money openly run on a competitor's cheaper product if it turns into a story of hey buy this player and put this firmware on it and you get this product for a much cheaper price.......that would be the deal killer for sure if that kind of talk ever surfaces.

Now on the other hand if you create these things and then push people to go to the other forums for support you're opening pandora's box for what happened to happen because not all users of said firmware have comprehension to what this all entails.

Go back and edit the posts with the links and info to the alternate firmware and with bold lettering state the position of the firmware and if having issues related to firmware specific features check present threads to see if any chatter is present about the subject. Also would be a good idea to edit the same alternate page with information when bugs are found and present such as the radio feeds that were broken on one of the acrbo releases a while back.

Also add the same verbage such as mede8er places on the thread for non mede8er firmware on their boxes on the alternate firmware page as well stating that it could brick the box, possibly void the warranty, and unless highly skilled or ready to pay the piper, that such behaviour should be avoided.

aasoror
12-23-2010, 06:00 AM
I'm sure no other 1073dd based outfit wants their firmware work and money openly run on a competitor's cheaper product if it turns into a story of hey buy this player and put this firmware on it and you get this product for a much cheaper price.......that would be the deal killer for sure if that kind of talk ever surfaces.

Very true. Word of mouth publicity comes mainly from current owner of a product recommending it to potential customer. The only product getting word of mouth publicity with the custom firmwares is the PBO.

Go back and edit the posts with the links and info to the alternate firmware and with bold lettering state the position of the firmware and if having issues related to firmware specific features check present threads to see if any chatter is present about the subject. Also would be a good idea to edit the same alternate page with information when bugs are found and present such as the radio feeds that were broken on one of the acrbo releases a while back.

But that wont solve any usage problems crossflasher would be facing once they cross flash (the link to buglists and release notes are always provided anyway, copying and dumping the whole pages of text here makes it only easier for this thread to appear when the original firmware is googled .. which kind of defeats the purpose of minimal exposure).

Straight to the point maddawg, we are supposed to provide support for the lazy and clumsy here because they don't know how to post intelligently on appropriate forums for the sake of respecting the PM official firmware users (believe it or not they do exist), this is still an official manufacturing support forum. So we are supposed to keep answering questions that has definitely been answered elsewhere, additionally, we are also supposed to do this so discretely so "that kind of talk never surfaces" as scboley have pointed above.

Man, here is something that most of you don't know if any at all, it took ACR and Mede8er moderators a single google search to locate this thread and the download links to the alternative firmwares, couple of clicks later they were PM'ing us inquiring about what kind of sponsorship is provided to the hacking efforts by the PBO manufacturer, which we confirmed there was none, and that the way we are all working to keep things at. Mind you there are members of us who carry the same screen name across all of these forums, accommodating support for the custom firmwares here would certainly make our activities there questionable (its not hard to see why).

So without dwelling further into this issue I would like to remind once more:

Disclaimer:

All the tskitishvili's patched firmware are non-official betas , though they are public releases they are not bug free and are not meant to be shipped on their respective products, they are provided here for demonstration purposes and collect users feedback on them (as pointed below).
Please support the original developers of these firmwares by providing bug reports and constructive feedback on their respective forums (links provided below).
A friendly reminder for those kind enough to provide the aforementioned feedback: not so many (if at all) outside this forum know what ACRBO/MedeBO is, and its in our best interest that things stay this way ;)
Thank YOU

Please all new comers reconsider reading this (http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21627&postcount=658)for an explanation for why doesn't it make sense to post alternative firmwares post-installation problems here.

Please be advised that no support for post-installation issues will be provided here (Official PBO forums), I kindly ask you to seek support elsewhere and respect the reason this forum exists (supporting PBO users running the PBO official firmware). Any discussion of alternative firmwares should be only posted on this thread (per its title). If you can't abide yourself to these fairly simple requests please refrain from using the custom firmwares linked in the "makeover" link in my signature below.

Thanks for your understanding.

Street Gang
12-23-2010, 06:03 AM
edit: reflashed and everything is working perfectly, leaving post below intact in case anyone experiences a similar situation

Hi guys,

I'm going to post this here because I think it may involve a bad firmware install on my part.

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why none of my thumbgen generated, sub 500K, 1280x720 about.jpg files will display in my medebo firmware movie wall.

Folder.jpg's are all showing, but when I first press enter on the remote I am always taken to a nearly black screen (save for some barely imperceptible blue at the bottom). When I hit enter again, the movie starts playing, as I understand it should.

Linked is one of my about.jpg files for reference (though I'm not sure what could be inferred from that) and here is a screengrab of the folder and directory structure. I'm using an external hard drive connected through USB.

http://i.imgur.com/qNvHF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7gl2l.png

My TV is set at 1920x1080 and everything works perfectly, except curiously, I also I cannot get audio directly through HDMI to the TV, even using the 2 channel downmix and appropriate settings within my TV's options. Not really a problem, since I can order another cheap optical cable from monoprice, but odd nonetheless.

Also, tried everything on a CRT TV with medebo set to output NTSC over a composite cable and get the same results regarding about.jpg

*disclaimer: I fully acknowledge I could be doing something wrong that is both obvious and stupid, and I would love to hear that is in fact the case.

sidenote, my God, some of these synopses that thumbgen pulls in are awful. If I contribute anything to this community, it will be figuring out how to scrape rotten tomatoes summaries to be included in moviesheets.

scboley
12-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Folder.jpg's are all showing, but when I first press enter on the remote I am always taken to a nearly black screen (save for some barely imperceptible blue at the bottom). When I hit enter again, the movie starts playing, as I understand it should.

sidenote, my God, some of these synopses that thumbgen pulls in are awful. If I contribute anything to this community, it will be figuring out how to scrape rotten tomatoes summaries to be included in moviesheets.
One other person had this happen here and it was actually a bad firmware flash and he reflashed it and then it started working correctly. He had the same black screen and the screen jpg would never show.

aasoror
12-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Hi guys,

I'm going to post this here because I think it may involve a bad firmware install on my part.

To eliminate your doubts just reflash.

Once your problems are reconfirmed please direct your questions to the links posted along with the firmware.

si1verfish
12-23-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm sure no other 1073dd based outfit wants their firmware work and money openly run on a competitor's cheaper product...

I'm sure that is the case, but as a positive consequence, Mede8er and ACRyan products will now be real considerations for our eventual life-after-1073dd. Obsolescence is always just around the corner and these companies (that many of us hadn't even heard of) have now been put solidly on our radar only because of this thread. We've also experienced first-hand two companies far more dedicated to making their products better. You can't buy that kind of exposure.

If I'd now consider buying a Mede8er or AC Ryan in the future, there have already been undeniable side benefits for both companies. Just thought I'd point out the obvious.

sam
12-23-2010, 12:25 PM
we are supposed to provide support for the lazy and clumsy here because they don't know how to post intelligently .

I better get out of Dodge. Before I can't dodge any more intentional and intelligent bullets. I think this thread is becoming more of Wild Wild West show down.

I know that you guys are right. You don't have to rub it in. If you represent PM, then I am almost sure PM is going to gain lots and lots of customers. lazy and clumsy, intelligent what big words. WOW :eek: You guys both need to chill. :D

Sam.

lickity_split
12-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I better get out of Dodge. Before I can't dodge any more intentional and intelligent bullets. I think this thread is becoming more of Wild Wild West show down.

I know that you guys are right. You don't have to rub it in. If you represent PM, then I am almost sure PM is going to gain lots and lots of customers. lazy and clumsy, intelligent what big words. WOW :eek: You guys both need to chill. :D

Sam.

problem is, back in the day,you had to have 1/2 a brain to even be online. now cyberspace is polluted with way too much garbage and way too many lamers who have a hard time crossing a street in the real world.hence why so much is gone and so much is carefully guarded.
and fact is, not many folks want to think and be responsible these days.
actually using ones brain and taking others into consideration before one acts is always the best way to travel online & offline.
tis a shame the thinking and responsible folks are getting so few and far between. and it's always just 1 or 2 bad apples that always spoil the barrel for everyone.
that said, I think the people asked to chill are already about as chilled as they could be. more chilled than anyone really deserves or should expect.
as my mommy used to tell me as a child - be thankful for what you have instead of crying for what you don't have.;)

si1verfish
12-23-2010, 04:22 PM
We have an entire public forum category dedicated to this activity. It's all just a little sanctimonious to blame those who don't understand for carrying-on a conversation that we've all created here, especially when they are chased off to troubleshoot resulting issues elsewhere. As the popularity grows it's gonna happen - as lickity points out: the idiots are everywhere :). It was never going to remain "our little secret" forever, as if this open/public thread ever was to begin with.

lickity_split
12-23-2010, 05:40 PM
We have an entire public forum category dedicated to this activity. It's all just a little sanctimonious to blame those who don't understand for carrying-on a conversation that we've all created here,
except for the fact it has been explained, re-explained, pointed out in numerous ways, to not mess up the wet dream by shooting off your mouth in the wrong place in the wrong way.
if you go deer hunting, you don't shout into the woods - hey deer, here I am, waving your arms.;)
no excuse for ignorance because you are too lazy to read a bit first.
most stupid things caused these days are because of pure laziness by wanting everything handed to you on a plate, pre-digested, no work involved.
pathetic!
imho

aasoror
12-23-2010, 05:44 PM
We have an entire public forum category dedicated to this activity. It's all just a little sanctimonious to blame those who don't understand for carrying-on a conversation that we've all created here, especially when they are chased off to troubleshoot resulting issues elsewhere. As the popularity grows it's gonna happen - as lickity points out: the idiots are everywhere :). It was never going to remain "our little secret" forever, as if this open/public thread ever was to begin with.

I can't follow you si1verfish, so now we (namely TSK) are blamed for sharing these firmwares with the rest of the community because of few irresponsible members ?!

Lets be clear about it, no one meant for this to be a secret, as you say there is no secret to be kept on the internet. All we have asked from people who are taking advantage of these hacks is 2 simple things: "be respectful to other members here who have the right to a forum that is mainly concerned with the product they bought" and "be responsible when seeking support on other forums".

Of course there is no way to force people to comply with your requests no matter how much you repeated them time after time. That said, just look at the Mede8er's "alternative firmware" thread and see how much exposure they have given to such thread. Funny is one guy was complaining on another mede8er thread that ACR boxes has all the features that he posted on the mede8er firmware wishlist, yet no other member has stepped forward and thrown in a link for the ACR unlocked firmware (that was already posted on the mede8er forums).

The way I see it, there is only one of two ways they are maintaining such minimal exposure level of alternative firmwares; one is responsible members, the other is moderation (their mods' in-post edits should tell you enough). And because relying on the first option is apparently not working for us, I guess option two should be put on the table.

In all honesty I couldn't care less for our members asking all the wrong questions in other forums, that their problem and they should have learned by now they are not welcomed on other forums unless they play nicely there. I can bet you that almost everyone who was cold-shouldered due to mentioning the PBO on these boards has re-signed up there with a different screen name and rephrased his question so it would be answered.

lickity_split
12-23-2010, 06:18 PM
I can't follow you si1verfish, so now we (namely TSK) are blamed for sharing these firmwares with the rest of the community because of few irresponsible members ?!

Lets be clear about it, no one meant for this to be a secret, as you say there is no secret to be kept on the internet. All we have asked from people who are taking advantage of these hacks is 2 simple things: "be respectful to other members here who have the right to a forum that is mainly concerned with the product they bought" and "be responsible when seeking support on other forums".

Of course there is no way to force people to comply with your requests no matter how much you repeated them time after time. That said, just look at the Mede8er's "alternative firmware" thread and see how much exposure they have given to such thread. Funny is one guy was complaining on another mede8er thread that ACR boxes has all the features that he posted on the mede8er firmware wishlist, yet no other member has stepped forward and thrown in a link for the ACR unlocked firmware (that was already posted on the mede8er forums).

The way I see it, there is only one of two ways they are maintaining such minimal exposure level of alternative firmwares; one is responsible members, the other is moderation (their mods' in-post edits should tell you enough). And because relying on the first option is apparently not working for us, I guess option two should be put on the table.

In all honesty I couldn't care less for our members asking all the wrong questions in other forums, that their problem and they should have learned by now they are not welcomed on other forums unless they play nicely there. I can bet you that almost everyone who was cold-shouldered due to mentioning the PBO on these boards has re-signed up there with a different screen name and rephrased his question so it would be answered.

but I need to know how to hook up a chevy engine in a ford. can you help or maybe I should go ask ford or chevy?
:p

si1verfish
12-23-2010, 06:36 PM

That is absolutely NOT what I implied. There is certainly no blame in "sharing" such info, but to then complain about the spread of such info is borderline ridiculous when this very thread facilitates it. No one (or maybe everyone) is to blame for it's success/popularity. It was always going to happen. Here pandora's box sits wide open in public view for all to see. It's one of the most popular threads in the forum. Asking people to read rules and be smart is the best that can be done, but as more and more people see it you won't control if/how/where it's talked about elsewhere. If keeping it a secret was the goal then this how-to thread should not exist.

si1verfish
12-23-2010, 06:46 PM
but I need to know how to hook up a chevy engine in a ford. can you help or maybe I should go ask ford or chevy?
:p

It's exactly like publishing a how-to guide for putting a chevy engine in a ford... and blaming non-mechanics for talking about it when it becomes popular.

aasoror
12-23-2010, 06:57 PM
It's exactly like publishing a how-to guide for putting a chevy engine in a ford... and blaming non-mechanics for talking about it when it becomes popular.

lol, man I am not blaming them for talking about it in popular. TSK is blaming them for ruining the future of the hack (which I think everyone agrees on that). Admittedly its not rocket science to see (and expect) the consequences of these acts, yes perhaps it was far stretched to assume that everyone in this community would be smart enough (as lickity_split mentioned).

On the other hand what I am saying that providing support for them here would not help in any way, it will only make the forum more cluttered and confusing for many other members (plus needlessly engaging PM in a copyright infringement case), no other official forum tolerate these kind of backdoor help lines (even with existing hacked firmwares for these boxes) why should we ?!

si1verfish
12-23-2010, 07:06 PM
... yes perhaps it was far stretched to assume that everyone in this community would be smart enough (as lickity_split mentioned).

On the other hand what I am saying that providing support for them here would not help in any way, it will only make the forum more cluttered and confusing for many other members (plus needlessly engaging PM in a copyright infringement case), no other official forum tolerate these kind of backdoor help lines (even with existing hacked firmwares for these boxes) why should we ?!

No disagreements here.

lickity_split
12-23-2010, 07:54 PM
No disagreements here.

ditto

:D

sam
12-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't have any disagreement on this. But if we know that someones post is going to create such attention, then the moderator should modify that post. If my posts is one of them, I don't mined having it edited. I would understand. Even though we pay carefull attention, from time to time we do get a little carried away. I got carried away a little because, I was upset at one lamers post something elsewhere without thinking it first is going to stop this thread. But then again we're all human. We do forget sometimes. ;)

Sam.

scboley
12-23-2010, 09:11 PM
My feelings are that we should help basic things with any firmware and then if it approaches something wrong within the firmware itself urge to either put up with it or go to the original vendor for help (obviously acting as if you are running it on their hardware). Such as the case of the medebo issues of the screen picture not displaying and it came down to just a reflash of the firmware which can happen on any firmware even official versions. That said it wasn't supporting a non pm issue but a occasional byproduct of the whole nand realtek environment. Maybe a friendly suggestion or two before being callous and sending them to the vendor wolves or even better most are just usage questions and posting a link to the user guide for such said firmware would be a bit friendlier way of dealing with the issue than again sending to the wolves.

We do in some form or fashion represent the pbo and in that light remember words and actions could very well ruin the pbo experience and cause such said person to not further purchase or pursue a PM device.

lickity_split
12-23-2010, 10:47 PM
But then again we're all human. We do forget sometimes. ;)

Sam.

speak for yourself, I'm an alien. :p

(thought I'd throw that out there cause it may be a good time to now lighten up after the rants.:D)

happy yule fellow pbo users & abusers.

sam
12-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Watchout! lamer wagon coming through. I am jumping off. Anyone wants join me. lol :D

Sam.

aasoror
12-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Maybe this whole discussion should be moved to one of the neutral forums and just put a sticky here pointing to the neutral location and then other box owners could post there about running other firmware on thier rigs as well.

The PBO wiki forum (http://patriot-box-office.wikidot.com/forum:start) is now up *wink* *wink*
p.s. categories shamelessly stolen from wigout ;)

blablazzz
12-28-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi,

Now i am having PBO with P61 firmware. As i understand i can flash it straight to ACRBO_v7.3.4.r4824_Euro. Will i be able to simple reflash it back to P61?

Are there any threads (i didnt find any) about ACRBO 4824 on PBO (what will i get, i what will i loose).
thanks

aasoror
12-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Now i am having PBO with P61 firmware. As i understand i can flash it straight to ACRBO_v7.3.4.r4824_Euro. Will i be able to simple reflash it back to P61?

Yup, go back and forth exactly like the official firmwares (with exactly the same potentials of bricking your PBO during the process).

Are there any threads (i didnt find any) about ACRBO 4824 on PBO (what will i get, i what will i loose).
thanks
Actually there is non, for reasons refer to the last couple of pages here, or the acknowledgement links in the ACRBO firmware download post.
That said, its really not that hard to flash test and revert if you didn't like it.

Best of luck,

evvlin
12-29-2010, 05:59 AM
Hi guys

I have a HD player WOXTER I-Cube 750 (clon AcRyan).
Firmware nice work with the Logitech Harmony remote.
But he wants to use the original remote.
You may publish revised firmware from the original remote control codes?

Sorry for my low English:)

aasoror
12-29-2010, 06:02 AM
Hi guys

I have a HD player WOXTER I-Cube 750 (clon AcRyan).
Firmware nice work with the Logitech Harmony remote.
But he wants to use the original remote.
You may publish revised firmware from the original remote control codes?

Sorry for my low English:)

Unfortunately these firmwares will not work with any ACRyan or ACRyan clone, flash memory of the ACR is not big enough to accommodate these firmwares after being repacked.

wait .. you are saying you got it working with harmony remote ? then your box is not exact clone.

Unfortunately, there is no plans for releasing an ACR unlocked version of the firmware.

evvlin
12-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately these firmwares will not work with any ACRyan or ACRyan clone, flash memory of the ACR is not big enough to accommodate these firmwares after being repacked.

wait .. you are saying you got it working with harmony remote ? then your box is not exact clone.

Unfortunately, there is no plans for releasing an ACR unlocked version of the firmware.

I have bootloader 26L.
Repacked ACRBO 4824 European , MedeBO 4861 squas system.
Everything works beautifully.
Only not everyone has the Logitech remote.
Please - WOXTER no support.
On the soft from the original remote control will find much guys - please - a gift for Christmas:o

blablazzz
12-29-2010, 06:35 PM
And one more question. Will the ACRBO 4824 work with native PBO remote?

aasoror
12-30-2010, 02:08 AM
And one more question. Will the ACRBO 4824 work with native PBO remote?

Yup it does

aasoror
12-30-2010, 02:12 AM
Repacked ACRBO 4824 European , MedeBO 4861 squas system.
Everything works beautifully.

Oh thanks for the explanation.

There is several tricks you can try to get back the ACR remote.
Read this post (http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19856&postcount=100)and try workarounds 1,2 (at the end) then 3 and see if they work with, remember you will need to revise the code with the ACR remote codes instead of the PBO remote codes in the scripts.

Tijuana
01-03-2011, 01:54 AM
Is there a tutorial for how to get tv and movie sheets working for a medebo firmware? So far, the only program I know how to use is thumbgen, what else do I need? how do I need to organize all the folders? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

aasoror
01-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Is there a tutorial for how to get tv and movie sheets working for a medebo firmware? So far, the only program I know how to use is thumbgen, what else do I need? how do I need to organize all the folders? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

As per the custom firmware download page, please direct any post installation problems to the appropriate forums linked in the release notes of each firmware.

Guys, if you can offer any help to Tijuana please do it over PMs.

Thanks again,

dr_tracker
01-04-2011, 11:13 PM
hi, do you guys plan on porting this: http://stg.unixstorm.org/playon/about.php to the PBO???

I know that most of the features included can be manually added, but it's a lot easier to just update FW and begin working "out of the box", besides there are some that can't be so easily added.

aasoror
01-05-2011, 12:24 AM
hi, do you guys plan on porting this: http://stg.unixstorm.org/playon/about.php to the PBO???

I know that most of the features included can be manually added, but it's a lot easier to just update FW and begin working "out of the box", besides there are some that can't be so easily added.

It doesn't work "out of the box", the major features still needs to be installed manually (the rss pack and the optware pack on Mikka's website).

That said if you are interested in getting the firmware posted there to work on your PBO you will need to get the dvdPlayer binary for the corresponding ACRBO version and repack it with Mikka's firmware.

you will need yaffs_2 tools (to unpack and repack the image)

ImpulsE69
01-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Wow. I had no idea about the web remote! Very useful if I ever misplace/break the remote...which is always a concern of mine with things with no buttons on them.

mwhimpey
01-06-2011, 07:48 PM
After spending a little time, I now have what I was hoping for with this box. This is running the MedeBo firmware (thanks Aasoror!). The image files were generated (fairly painlessly) with YAMJ and Y2M software that is available on the Mede8er forums.

sergejk
01-07-2011, 06:10 AM
After spending a little time, I now have what I was hoping for with this box. This is running the MedeBo firmware (thanks Aasoror!). The image files were generated (fairly painlessly) with YAMJ and Y2M software that is available on the Mede8er forums.

Can you please send hyper-link where did you find it on mede8r forum?

Brgds,
S.

sergejk
01-07-2011, 06:27 AM
My main problem is that i have films saved on my PC and cannot get Media Wall working in a right way.

Films are saved on PC -> PBO.

How can i make YAMJ to work on my PBO with files (films) saved on my PC?

BRgds,
S.

mwhimpey
01-07-2011, 08:14 PM
Can you please send hyper-link where did you find it on mede8r forum?

Brgds,
S.

http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_y2m.html

sergejk
01-08-2011, 07:17 AM
Hi there!
Thanks for the link but cannot find any useful info regarding is it possible to config YAMJ with films saved on local PC. I have a shared drive on PC with films and watching them over local network with mede8er.

aasoror
01-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Hi there!
Thanks for the link but cannot find any useful info regarding is it possible to config YAMJ with films saved on local PC. I have a shared drive on PC with films and watching them over local network with mede8er.

Guys, if you can offer any help to sergejk please do it over PMs.

Thanks again,

sergejk
01-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks!
If you have any comments about please send me PM.
Brgds,
S.

Fuzznut
01-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Where would I find the latest ACR firmware that works with the patriot. I went to the ac ryan website and to their download section but they have several different models to choose from and didn't know what to select. A direct link would be greatly appreciated.

Fuzz

tourist
01-08-2011, 05:01 PM
You should look at the modded one from here, not the one directly from AC Ryan.

Look up the "Other Firmware for PBO" thread or this post. (http://www.patriotmem.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22804&postcount=807)

splendid
01-09-2011, 06:24 PM
I just flashed my box from the P61 mega to OEM P02 and then to patched ACRBO r4824. The box doesn't have an internal hdd. BT and samba won't stay running after I reboot the box. It will run at the time I enable them in the Menu. Any ideas?

One thing I notice when I notice when I telnet to the box. "/opt" directory is linking to a non existing directory. I also get a warning saying that I can't change to the home directory in the login message.

lickity_split
01-09-2011, 09:21 PM
people,people, people, please read more carefully and direct a lot of this stuff using the pm feature rather than open forum, please. you'll likely get better response and answers using this method and make things better all around.
;)

Street Gang
01-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Anyone tried 96khz/24bit FLAC with their PBO and the medebo firmware?

Seems like 5.1 channel 96khz/24bit FLAC is getting downmixed to 2 channel before being sent to my receiver, even with SPIDF set to passthrough. The volume level sent to the receiver is also very low.

Kind of a shame since 5.1 channel .dts files of similar specs play perfectly.

I suppose it's a hardware limitation, but by any chance has anyone come across a firmware for the PBO that can do "high def" FLAC properly?

* I should say my experience may also be a limitation of my receiver's abilities. It's 5 years old or so and doesn't properly support uncompressed multichannel LPCM as seen on some Blu Ray discs.

jmetcalfe84
01-14-2011, 07:31 PM
O.K. update on the Medebo 4861 3 level deep folders.

Here is how I found it to work:

---------- Movies (folder)
------------------Action (folder)
-------------------------Matrix (folder)
-------------------------------Enter the Matrix.avi
-------------------------------Matrix Revolution.avi
-------------------------------Matrix.......avi

You can place all of the Matrix movies in a folder and a Pulldown list will be displayed when you press the 'Matrix' to select and play any of the Matrix movie series. This can be helpful if you have TV Shows also, placing an entire season in one folder and select an episode from the list.

This works both Medebo firmwares: You can place a nice folder.jpg image file in the Movies, Action, and Matrix folders to show up on the Video Wall. Each folder image representing that folders role on Video Wall. I have played with image files as large as 366k x 520 from some DVD covers from say, Action movie that looked really nice. May be larger ones would be ok too.

Sam.

Hey Sam or anybody else know if its possible to get video wall feature to work with movies that are copied over to a HDD that is installed in the PBO. I have the files setup perfectly on my networked drives. But I can't get it to work on the files I copy over to the drive inside the PBO.

I've tried using Thumbgen on the MKV file before I transfer it, then transfer the MKV and jpeg from thumbgen over all into the correct file structure but when i go to Videowall they never show up?

sam
01-14-2011, 08:35 PM
if its possible to get video wall feature to work with movies that are copied over to a HDD that is installed in the PBO.

While I don't have an internal HD on my PBO, it is possible. Just make sure the Movies folder is at the root of the HD and just follow the rest of the structure from my post. When adding to the Video Wall, just add the Movies folder like on the NAS.

Sam.

neis1
01-15-2011, 08:52 PM
In firmware 4318 i can press the right navigations button on remote and it appear a outline at the bottom to very fast forward.
why is this very good option to go fast forward and back not in later firmware, is there a special reason ?
and is it possible to add this, imho, outstanding feature in later firmware or implement it in existing firmware ?

aasoror
01-16-2011, 03:28 AM
FYI: this also might be of help for those wanting to repatch PBO firmwares to run on non-PBO devices.

irfake (http://www.moservices.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=179) remote patch.

Thanks to mentoliptus and tskitishvili for bringing this patcher to our attention.

neis1
01-16-2011, 11:00 AM
thank you,

is this script a part of 4318 or why is this option working on it ?

/what is "FYI"

lickity_split
01-16-2011, 02:40 PM
/what is "FYI"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FYI

amazing how handy google is, aye. ;)

aasoror
01-16-2011, 07:34 PM
thank you,

is this script a part of 4318 or why is this option working on it ?

/what is "FYI"

This is not an option for those using pre-patched firmwares on the PBO.
If you are using a pre-patched firmware like ACRBO/MedeBO you don't need to worry about it.

neis1
01-16-2011, 10:46 PM
ok i understand, thanks together

registered
01-17-2011, 01:41 AM
I successfully installed MedeBO and have no problems playing videos in 1080p, for the most part. However, some videos play with black borders on the left and right. I can find no way to "zoom in" in MedeBO.

Am I missing something?

aasoror
01-17-2011, 01:43 AM
I successfully installed MedeBO and have no problems playing videos in 1080p, for the most part. However, some videos play with black borders on the left and right. I can find no way to "zoom in" in MedeBO.

Am I missing something?

Eject/Title on the PBO remote are mapped as Z+/Z-

registered
01-17-2011, 03:47 AM
Thanks. It seems to be some sort of overscan issue - zooming the image just enlarges it within the black borders.

Any other ideas?

aasoror
01-17-2011, 03:59 AM
Thanks. It seems to be some sort of overscan issue - zooming the image just enlarges it within the black borders.

Any other ideas?
I thought you mentioned 1080p files running fine, overscan should be persistent regardless of the input file.

Any way, there is also a screen size setup from the menus that "should" compensate for the overscan/underscan issue.

Might also want to try playing with the zoom settings on your TV.

That said, with that PBO remote functions cleared out, the issue is apparently related to the original firmware. Please check the links posted with the MedeBO firmware release posts and direct your concerns there.

Meanwhile, if anyone is willing to offer registered further help it would be great if you can do so over PM's.

Bad Astronaut
01-17-2011, 07:20 AM
In firmware 4318 i can press the right navigations button on remote and it appear a outline at the bottom to very fast forward.
why is this very good option to go fast forward and back not in later firmware, is there a special reason ?
and is it possible to add this, imho, outstanding feature in later firmware or implement it in existing firmware ?

I think I understand what you were asking: Seeking with the arrows is a feature of ACRBO but not MEDEBO firmware. It's definitely in 4368, I haven't tried 4824 but I assume it's there.

Actually this is one feature that I wish MEDEBO would add, I'm tempted to use ACRBO just for this because it's so useful.

neis1
01-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Actually this is one feature that I wish MEDEBO would add, I'm tempted to use ACRBO just for this because it's so useful.
how right you are ^^

i use 4318 a long time just for this feature and hope it would not mereley add in medebo but rather in all the custom firmware and perhaps in PBOCore too ;)
the best and quick fast forward ;)

registered
01-23-2011, 04:15 AM
After a bunch of testing, I can say this:

1. Black borders appear on all videos (both .mkv and .avi) at all resolutions.

2. The black borders are NOT an overscan or HDMI handshake issue. MedeBO menus fill the screen, and when I pause a video, the progress bar appears in large part within the black borders.

3. This is probably a MedeBO issue, as there are no reports of this problem in relation to the original firmware.

If anyone has any further ideas, I'd be grateful.

scboley
01-26-2011, 04:38 AM
PM take note in how a real changelog and buglist should be released!!!!

They just released new version announcing built off new sdk and that sdk 4 gave them issues so they went to sdk 5. Funny thing is they released a version for hdmi audio and a version for spdif audio.

Changelog from V4beta5
1. HD Audio problems fixed (DD+ hardware)
2. AAC 6 ch HDMI Passthrough fixed
3. PCM passthrough on SPDIF
4. Compressed MKV headers fixed
5. Windows Live Essentials Network login fixed
6. Samba network copy instability fixed
7. Navigation crashing problem fixed
8. Write and read support for USB hosted devices over Samba fixed
9. .pls file Radio station support
10. Video Wall Alpha Search added
11. Video Wall Page Jump Added
12. Video Wall Series view changed - Now supports long file names
13. Video Wall GUI update
14. Video Wall now reads USB HDD \u201cname\u201d \u2013 to eliminate paths being mixed up
15. Video Wall support for BDISO files
16. Music player loading time fixed
17. Support ape audio files
18. Support ape .cue files (beta support)
19. Dummy folders on internal HDD fixed \u2013 removed
20. Icelandic Language support
21. LED inversion on MED400X
22. Discreet \u201coff\u201d code added
23. IP remote improved \u2013 still beta and waiting for extra functionality
24. Improved WiFi Performance
25. General Bug fixes

Note: The Video Wall now uses the USB DrIve "name" so pls make sure that your USB drives is named and if you use more than one USB Drive make sure they have different names. This can be changed in Windows -- My Computer -- Drive - Properties
Mede8er1

Known Issues
* Flac .cue files support (SDK- Realtek)
* APE .cue files support (SDK - Realtek)
* ID3 tags FLAC Audio (SDK - Realtek)
* BDMV over NFS ( SDK - Realtek)
* DD+ Hardware will not Passthrough to Core5.1 from HD Audio source on SPDIF (Awaiting Realtek)
Workaround - Use the "No HD Audio Firmware Version"
* Screensaver flicker
* Long Playlist over 3000 songs
* Random Audio Play
* PPPoE bug (SDK- Realtek)

kmlzbmr
01-26-2011, 06:30 AM
will this firmware work on the PBO

scboley
01-26-2011, 06:54 AM
No never get any non PBO firmware from other vendor sites as it will brick your player. This was just information to show what other vendors are adding functionality wise and debugging in thier realtek firmware.

flint1962
01-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Can it be modded to run on PBO?

Tommyz
01-26-2011, 03:28 PM
I tryed it last nite thinking that it was medebo flashed fine but then it was playon so went to flash back to medebo and now when I plug in a usb it freezes so I guess I am screwed ....if something works dont fix it first trouble ive had

scboley
01-26-2011, 03:55 PM
I did not post any link to it and it is listed as mede8er not medebo?????? It has been said on here do not flash other manufacturer's firmware many times. You will need to have a serial cable and follow the recovery thread to fix your box now.

Tommyz
01-26-2011, 04:07 PM
ya I ment to write mede8er just shouldnt have been screwing around with it late at nite. lol no worrys just went and bought a new one so all is well:) lucky I live right acroos the street from mem express
P.S the other one still works just has acryan 3643 on it now and freezes if ya put a usb stick in the front but other than that works fine

scboley
01-26-2011, 05:18 PM
Do a flash to p02 or medebo which will wipe the system and then go back to acrbo if that is what you like and see if that fixes the problem. Sometimes multi flashing junks up the partitions and keeps leaving portions of previous firmware around that can get buggy.

jmetcalfe84
01-26-2011, 06:06 PM
After a bunch of testing, I can say this:

1. Black borders appear on all videos (both .mkv and .avi) at all resolutions.

2. The black borders are NOT an overscan or HDMI handshake issue. MedeBO menus fill the screen, and when I pause a video, the progress bar appears in large part within the black borders.

3. This is probably a MedeBO issue, as there are no reports of this problem in relation to the original firmware.

If anyone has any further ideas, I'd be grateful.

I would try and reflash the MedeBO firmware because I have been running it for about 2 months now and I watch tons of mkv's 720p & 1080p & I have never ran into any of the problems you are having.

sarcoptic
01-26-2011, 07:22 PM
So any chance of this making its way to the PBO soon? The compressed MKV headers is the fix I am looking for...

sam0815
01-26-2011, 09:53 PM
The compressed MKV headers is the fix I am looking for...
What is the advantage of compressed MKV headers?

Kevyn
01-27-2011, 10:01 AM
What is the advantage of compressed MKV headers?

http://www.matroska.org/news/compressed-headers.html

Compressed or stripped headers mean that for some codec (MP3, AC3, DTS, AAC, DivX/XviD and maybe others) each frame starts with the same few bytes. So these bytes are removed from each frame and put in the Track header instead, thus saving a lot of space. In the end a .mkv/.mka file with such a feature can be smaller than the raw stream ! Even with all the features that Matroska adds (seeking, chapters, tags, duration, etc).

mwhimpey
01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Go to the Wiki: http://patriot-box-office.wikidot.com/pbo-alternative-custom-firmwares

jamal
01-28-2011, 12:05 AM
While I don't have an internal HD on my PBO, it is possible. Just make sure the Movies folder is at the root of the HD and just follow the rest of the structure from my post. When adding to the Video Wall, just add the Movies folder like on the NAS.

Sam.

I must admit I have read a few posts and still dont get how to setup videowall on my PBO with MedeBo firmware. I downloaded Thumbgen, If anyone can help it would be very very appreciated
1 Created a Fodler for each of the movies and placed a jpeg file created from Thumbgen, called the file folder.jpeg
Went into PBO and used the create fav for video wall and nothing,,,where did I miss the boat !!

jamal
01-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Snappy I use 0001 and it works on medebo just fine but the cover has to be named folder.jpg to work which is same as most music programs force album art to be folder.jpg.

If someone could kindly help....need a little hand holding
Created Folder with avi file on my network drive
Deposited a thumbgen jpeg called folder.jpeg
Went into PBO and created fav for Videowall
Went into video wall and see folder with no thumbnail etc
Where did I miss the boat....:mad:

sam
01-28-2011, 02:22 AM
I am using folder.jpg not folder.jpeg. So with that in mind. Here it goes:

Storage Device: Internal HD, NAS, or USB Hard Drive, etc.

Create a folder called Movies in the Root of the Mapped drive or USB, etc.

Example: Z:\\mynas\movies\. If you have shared folder on the NAS or any shared folder called Movies, once you map it, you still have to create a folder called Movies in the Root. Three level deep from the root. Movies, Genre, each movie in a separate folder. Or you can place a series of movies in one folder but you can only make one about.jpg for all of the series not for each one. If you choose to place each movie separately in each folder, then you can make the about.jpg for each one. I have provided both examples here:

Shared Folder:
z:\\mynas\movies\ or z:\\mynas\mediafiles\
Created folders Structure

Movies (folder)

Action (subfolder inside Movies)
---------------Terminator 1 (Subfolder inside Action)(about.jpg for each movie)
--------------------Terminator 1.avi (media file)
---------------Terminator 2 (Subfolder inside Action)
--------------------Terminator 2.avi (media file)
---------------Terminator 3 (Subfolder inside Action)
--------------------Terminator 3.avi (media file)

Comedy (subfolder inside Movies)
--------------- Date Night (sub-folder

Crime Drama (subfolder inside Movies)
---------------Oceans 11-to-13 (subfolder inside Crime Drama)(only one about.jpg for the entire series)
----------------------Oceans 11.avi (media file)
----------------------Oceans 12.avi (media file)
----------------------Oceans 13.avi (media file)

Thumbgen Setup:

For Video Wall to work, you only need folder.jpg and a about.jpg.

Open Thumbgen and:

1) Click on options
2) You should be on the general tab: look at the generate options. At a minimum you need to have Thumbnail, movie information and main moviesheet selected.
3) Now go to the Input/output naming on the right hand side.
4) For thumbnail naming enter "M$\folder" the .jpg should already be there but select it if not.
5) For Main Moviesheet naming enter "M$\about" again the .jpg should be selected but select it if not.
6. Lastly, click on 'Moviesheets' Tab on the left right below the 'General' Tab
7. Change the' Auto execute default action in automatic mode after' to 30 seconds. The 30 seconds will give you some time select different covers of your choice from different sites after the initial search for each movie.
8) Press ok and you are ready.

After you've setup the folder structure and the setup Thumbgen, in Thumbgen
1. Click: 'Process files/folders' icon at the top second from the left.
2. At this point browse your mapped drive on your computer and go to the Movies folder. Select only one or two movies at a time to get yourself familiar with it.
3. Then, Click 'Semi-Automatic mode' at the top. This mode works best for me. May be you should try it first till you get use to it and then try 'automatic mode' to see how that works for you.
4. In the 'Moviesheet Editor' window at the lower right hand corner once the search is complete you will see about.jpg info sheet is displayed with two key items. 1-Movie information and 2-DVD cover at the upper left hand corner. If you don't see anything there, you will have to select a different DVD cover or site in the 'Search Results' window on the left (e.g. Amazon, IMDB, etc.) when you do see that the 'Movie Information' at the top gets populated then click on the 'Green Check' icon right below it. This will send the Movie Information to the Moviesheet Editor for about.jpg.

5. Do the same for the DVD cover click the Green Check icon below the DVD cover of your choice. It will be copied to the about.jpg in the Moviesheet Editor.
6. Click on 'Generate them! (and move to the next' at the top of Thumbgen. This will move you to the next movie search. Do the same for all your movies.

Video Wall. Add the Movies folder at the root of your Mapped drive to the Video Wall using the Network Browse mode.

Hope this helps. :)

Sam.

TheWatcher
01-28-2011, 05:27 AM
Is it normal* that the MedeBO firmware sets the HDD and USB leds on the PBO front panel on all the time?

*Normal as in it happens for others - I realize that running other manufacturer's firmware is already outside "normal".

jamal
01-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Wow, thanks alot for your extended instructions, I do have soe minor questions

1) Is the resolution and size of the about.jpg and folder.jpg critical or just slow down navigation speed
2) How is the setup done on the Patriot box, do I navigate to the Movies folder and assign it to the Videowall and then when I navigate to the video wall will is see a folder or thumbnail. I presume I see a thumbnail and if I press enter I see the about.jpg and then if I press play the movie plays ?

Thanks again

si1verfish
01-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Is it normal* that the MedeBO firmware sets the HDD and USB leds on the PBO front panel on all the time?

*Normal as in it happens for others - I realize that running other manufacturer's firmware is already outside "normal".

yes. wire snips work nicely :)

ImpulsE69
01-28-2011, 09:03 PM
So has anyone flashed this new version yet (the correct one)? Curious if I have to reset everything up or if it retains settings and if there's really any need to. It didn't appear to address any issues/features that pertain to me from the changelog

sam
01-28-2011, 09:49 PM
1) Is the resolution and size of the about.jpg and folder.jpg critical or just slow down navigation speed

1) Resolution and size of the about.jpg is automatically set by the Template you choose in Thumbgen. I wouldn't change the res and size. It will slow down previewing movie info.
2) Resolution of folder.jpg is also automatically scaled to something like 300X200 if the resolution of the DVD cover you have selected is larger than 300X200. But you can copy any DVD cover you like manually to any movie like to replace the Cover. Try not use resolution too large or it will either not show at all or it will really slow down DVD cover load on the wall. I think resolution of 320 x 500 works good. I have used covers as large as 366k x 520 resolution without any issue. If you find good covers larger, just use any picture viewer to scale to it down to what you want. Then save it as folder.jpg copy it manually to that movies folder. I have laptop connected to my Movies folder while watching the video wall, I can browse the DVD covers to see which one is having a problem and fix it on the fly from the laptop. Once you fix the one that is having problems, you'll have to select that DVD cover on the wall to see if it worked. Or just go to a different screen, then come back to the one with the problem.

2) How is the setup done on the Patriot box, do I navigate to the Movies folder and assign it to the VideoWall and then when I navigate to the video wall will is see a folder or thumbnail. I presume I see a thumbnail and if I press enter I see the about.jpg and then if I press play the movie plays?

Using the Media Player:
Remember you were to create a folder called Movies in the root regardless of what your shared folder was originally called.
e.g. if you have a shared folder on your NAS or PC that is like this: Z:\\mynas\Movies\ or Z:\\mynas\mediafiles\ or anything else.

You still have to create a folder call Movies in the Root. Videowall does not see that your shares name is Z:\\mynas\Movies\ with the movies at the end or anything else. It looks for a folder called Movies after it connects to your shares.

So in this case it will look like: Z:\\mynas\Movies\Movies to the VideoWall.

Or if your shared folder is named: Z:\\mynas\mediafiles\ then it will look for Z:\\mynas\mediafiles\Movies.

So, use the network shares browser not the Videowall to add the Movies folder to the wall. Browse to the Shared folder and highlight the Movies folder. Don't go inside the folder, just highlight it and then press the 'Menu' button on your remote control. You will see three options from a popup menu.
Select the one that looks like a small picture of Videowall with a buch of squares. I think it is the second or middle icon and press 'Enter' on the remote control. You will see a check visible next to the icon. At this point hit the 'Home' key on your remote and go to the video wall. You will see the Movies folder there. Select it and press 'Enter'. If you did everything correctly, you will see DVD covers on your screen. If some of the DVD covers don't show up, use your computer to browse to the ones that don't show up to see if the folder.jpg is either too large or is not present.

Again, for Videowall to see your movies on each Shared folder or NAS or pc then, every shared folder has to have a folder called Movies. Follow the same process for every NAS or PC shares.

Password Protected Shares:
If you password protected your shares then the best thing to do is create shortcuts to that shared folder save the username and password in the shortcut then go to Videowall. I usually remove the password from the shortcut and leave just the username on the folders that have 'PG13' or 'R' movies to protect it from the kids depending on their age. Only save passwords in the shortcuts for the family and kids movies and media shares shortcuts. You will have to have two different Shares to do this. One for the kids movies and media and another one for others password protected.
Then to use the Videowall for the movies that are password protected, First use the shortcut to connect it with your password, Save the password. Then go to the Videowall and view your movies.

Edit:
Remember to remove the password from the shortcuts that you want to keep from the kids after you're done before you give the remote back to the kids by going back to the shortcuts. Clear the passwords on the protected shares and then save the blank password. Gotta keep the kids safe. :)

Sam.

jamal
01-29-2011, 02:08 AM
Sam you rock, it all works and even my wife was impressed. Promise one last questions....is there a way to play music while you browse the video wall or am I pushing it....

sam
01-29-2011, 02:12 AM
Promise one last questions....is there a way to play music while you browse the video wall or am I pushing it....

I don't really know that it will. But if you can copy a small mp3 file to the root of the Movies or any of the Genre folder like Action, Adventure, etc. try it see if plays. I will give it a try when I can and let you know. If you beat me to it let us know. :)

Sam.

ImpulsE69
01-29-2011, 02:45 AM
So I flashed the new one, it saw my router, but wouldn't connect. I tried multiple wifi adapters with same result. The USB drive would flash and cause it to reboot too, I flashed it back to P02, then tried then flashed the new one again, same thing, so I flashed back to the old version and have no issues. I ran into these same issues with one of the other stock firmware before too.

Tommyz
01-29-2011, 04:58 AM
Being kinda old was having a hard time seeing the genre folders so I made a set that are a bit better to see.they arn't fancy but a bit easier to see heres a link to them.If ya want others let me know they only take a minute to make http://imgur.com/a/0afqR
http://i.imgur.com/6rMj2.jpg rar http://www.mediafire.com/?3mmd2v1ykyiy4tb

ImpulsE69
01-29-2011, 05:29 AM
Thank you! I was just thinking about making my own because the defaults are kind of hard to read. :D

sam
01-29-2011, 08:08 AM
music while you browse the video wall.

No music while browsing videowall.
I believe that the videowall browsing module is programmed independently of the Normal Network media browsing in the firmware. While in the videowall, the module programmed in the firmware only circles the same routines until you exit out of videowall to the normal network browsing.

May be in the future. :)

Sam.

jamal
01-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Can you make one called "Hindi Movies" thanks
p.s where are these placed in the folder structure

sam
01-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Can you make one called "Hindi Movies" thanks
p.s where are these placed in the folder structure

Yes, you can place any folder inside the Movies folder and call it anything you like.

Main folder: Movies

Genre folders: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Hindi-Movies, TV-shows, Cartoons, etc.

jamal
01-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Yes, you can place any folder inside the Movies folder and call it anything you like.

Main folder: Movies

Genre folders: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Hindi-Movies, TV-shows, Cartoons, etc.

Thanks Sam, My comment was meant for the the nice guy who made those larger thumbnails to replace the default ones on the PBO;)

jamal
01-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Being kinda old was having a hard time seeing the genre folders so I made a set that are a bit better to see.they arn't fancy but a bit easier to see heres a link to them.If ya want others let me know they only take a minute to make http://imgur.com/a/0afqR
http://i.imgur.com/6rMj2.jpg rar http://www.mediafire.com/?3mmd2v1ykyiy4tb

Can U make one called "Hindi Movies" ;)

Tommyz
01-29-2011, 07:20 PM
hi you put them in your hdd/videowall folder
http://i.imgur.com/bxy2o.jpg

jamal
01-29-2011, 07:34 PM
hi you put them in your hdd/videowall folder
http://i.imgur.com/bxy2o.jpg

Thanks v much
:D

Tommyz
01-29-2011, 07:50 PM
no problem

registered
01-29-2011, 07:52 PM
For anyone else facing this problem, reflashing with MedeBO solved it. Go figure.

jamal
01-31-2011, 12:54 AM
no problem

If I may ask what utility you are using to create this....:D

sam
01-31-2011, 04:05 AM
You can make the Folder Icons or covers using any paint program like Windows Paint even. Just make sure the image is not too big or it won't show. Use resolution like 300x500 or even 366x520. Save the final image in JPG format and name it folder.jpg.

Thanks. :)

goodjob
01-31-2011, 03:59 PM
I flashed the new MedeBO firmware without incident. I have yet to do a long term stability check, but no problems watching movies so far. The previous version was highly unstable for me, it would reboot or lock up while listening to the Internet radio.

cwiebe
01-31-2011, 04:32 PM
I decided to take the plunge and flashed my PBO with the new mede8er. The GUI looks great.

I have processed some movies with TVixie, using the mede8er option. I do see the html file in the movie folder.

How is it possible to coax my PBO running Mede8er to show the synopsis?
Thanks in advance!

PS: If there is documentation somewhere that I was unable to find I don't mind reading.

Cliff

scboley
01-31-2011, 04:41 PM
It all hinges on what you name the file for it to showup. If you have it in place and you're just seeing the cover then its working like it's supposed to. If you want to see the info while you have the folder highlighted hit the red button on the remote. you can then scroll up and down seeing this or hit the red buttton to go back to the folder view. If you want to play the movie while you're in the synopsis mode just hit the center enter button.

cwiebe
01-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks scboley.

I tried pressing the red button, but it just shows a black screen.

scboley
01-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks scboley.

I tried pressing the red button, but it just shows a black screen.
What filename are you using for the summary pictures? If they are correct, we've had a few instances where a medebo flash didn't quite take and a reflash fixed problems with the wall showing correctly.

aasoror
01-31-2011, 09:51 PM
As per the custom firmware download page, please direct any post installation problems to the appropriate forums linked in the release notes of each firmware or on the PBO wiki from which you download the firmware.

Guys, if you can offer any help to cwiebe please do it over PMs.

Thanks again,

moiztk
02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
hey, i flashed it and it works ok i guess

but the DTS-HD MA passthrough is choppy and it has bitrate error :confused:

any way to fix that???

lickity_split
02-02-2011, 02:43 AM
newest medebo works fine for me. flashed up & running with no probs.
;)

omid_behniya
02-02-2011, 04:47 AM
i download this file.help me.how i upgrade with this file PBO.
if Upgrage,can Dongrade?

IanC
02-02-2011, 06:15 AM
According to the Video Wall Instructions PDF that came in the same .rar file as the MedeBO firmware the ideal size for folder.jpg and genre icons is 156x233.

They should not be bigger than 250 pixels wide, and will be ignored if the file size is larger than 75K.