PDA

View Full Version : Formatting for clean OS install.

rjt002756
10-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I currently have XP x64 on my Patriot Warp v2 32Gb SSD and want to erase XP x64 and do a clean install of Vista 64. Is formatting a SSD just like formating a regular hd?

bats
10-07-2009, 03:34 PM
do a quick format rather than full format.

AGlobalThreatsK
10-07-2009, 10:43 PM
A full format is only needed if the drive has NEVER been formatted before.

It is unlikely you will use a drive that will need a full format instead of being able to use the simple quick format.

Quick format is always recommended (Unless you need to low-level format to securely erase all the data).

chrisdglong
10-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Neither one of you provided a reason that a full format is not needed. Are we just supposed to take your word for it?

earls
10-07-2009, 10:50 PM
Yes. Or enjoy spending an hour plus waiting for the format to complete. :) Granted, I don't know how long a full format would take considering I stopped doing them as soon as I found out I could do a quick format. :p

"Is formatting a SSD just like formating a regular hd? "

Yes, absolutely no difference.

chrisdglong
10-07-2009, 10:51 PM
So, neither would be harmful in any way, one just takes longer right?

earls
10-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Correctamundo.

Just like AK said: "Quick format is always recommended (Unless you need to low-level format to securely erase all the data)."

AGlobalThreatsK
10-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Neither one of you provided a reason that a full format is not needed. Are we just supposed to take your word for it?

Let me rephrase for you.

A full format is not needed if the drive has EVER been formatted before.

chrisdglong
10-07-2009, 10:57 PM
Let me rephrase for you.

A full format is not needed if the drive has EVER been formatted before.

and let me rephrase for you, YOU DIDNT TELL ANYONE WHY! These drives have certain tweaks that are not officially listed by Patriot. So for all anyone knows the full format could some how be an issue. ALL YOU HAD TO SAY WAS IT WILL TAKE LONGER!

Patriot_Ben
10-07-2009, 11:16 PM
(full format)
It does exactly the same as the Quick format: zero-writing the first 20MB and i recall some space at the end, and writing new filesystem information afterwards. The Full Format will read every sector on the partition for clues of any bad sectors, so it knows this and can store them in a file $BadSect in the root of the drive. It does NOT zero-write all data.

So a full format is only for detecting bad sectors, SSDs dont have those so no reason (but also no harm) to do a full format.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252320-32-full-format-quick

bats
10-08-2009, 01:26 AM
A full format is only needed if the drive has NEVER been formatted before.

a full format is not needed regardless of whether the drive has been formatted before. sure, you can do it if you want, but it's largely a waste of time, particularly on high capacity hard drives.

i haven't done a full format of any drive (spinning or solid state) in over 15 years. on new spinners, i run the manufacturer's low level diagnostic to check for any out of box issues. if the drive checks out okay, i do a quick format and install the os. a full format is unnecessary except to check for bad sectors as someone else mentioned, but i put more faith in the manufacturer's diagnostic for that.

the 'full format' might be a holdover back from the mfm/rll hard drive days when a new drive needed to be low level formatted and the drive's defect list entered in manually. a lot more work was necessary back then to get the things to just work.

bats
10-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Are we just supposed to take your word for it?

you should never believe anything anyone says on the internet.

AGlobalThreatsK
10-08-2009, 01:46 AM
a full format is not needed regardless of whether the drive has been formatted before.

i haven't done a full format of any drive (spinning or solid state) in over 15 years.

the 'full format' might be a holdover back from the mfm/rll hard drive days when a new drive needed to be low level formatted and the drive's defect list entered in manually. a lot more work was necessary back then to get the things to just work.

You missed part of my quote :)

It is unlikely you will use a drive that will need a full format instead of being able to use the simple quick format.

I was referring to the older drives, I have never NEEDED to do a full format on a drive except when low-level formatting to securely erase data. I don't think drives that need a full format first are still manufactured anymore, not mainstream at least.

I wouldn't limit that to the internet, take everything with a grain of salt.

earls
10-08-2009, 02:14 AM

Says WHO?! :P

stankopp
10-08-2009, 01:39 PM
If you are doing a clean install, I would recommend that you delete the partion during install and let Vista 64 create a new partion. I believe that Vista 64 will create a correctly aligned partition. I KNOW that Windows 7 RTM will.

rjt002756
10-08-2009, 01:42 PM
and let me rephrase for you, YOU DIDNT TELL ANYONE WHY! These drives have certain tweaks that are not officially listed by Patriot. So for all anyone knows the full format could some how be an issue. ALL YOU HAD TO SAY WAS IT WILL TAKE LONGER!

What tweaks are you referring to?

chrisdglong
10-08-2009, 05:59 PM
What tweaks are you referring to?

Superfetch
Prefetch
defrag...

AGlobalThreatsK
10-08-2009, 08:05 PM
You do not NEED to disable superfetch and prefetch.

It is a recommendation for ALL SSD's, it is not limited to Patriot.

Defrag should be disabled for ALL SSD's, Patriot and other manufacturers do "officially list" this.

nate42nd
10-08-2009, 08:41 PM
If you are doing a clean install, I would recommend that you delete the partion during install and let Vista 64 create a new partion. I believe that Vista 64 will create a correctly aligned partition. I KNOW that Windows 7 RTM will.

Someone tell me this, I plan to get a new Torqx, format it NTFS while connected to a computer, install the new F/W if I need it, then unplug it and install Windows 7 on the SSD. Is it better to let Windows 7 create the partition at install? If so, then your F/W upgrade will wipe the data and you would have to do another install.

Or are you saying to format but don't create the partition. Do the F/W update then install Windows 7. Can you do a F/W update with no format? or partition? My guess is you probably can. My brain isn't working. When is the best time to do a F/W update?

stankopp
10-09-2009, 02:09 PM
When I installed my Windows 7 RTM (W7) on my Torqx 128, I took the virgin drive from the box and allowed W7 to take care of all partitioning and formatting. I ended up with a perfectly aligned, fast (benches in the 200s) drive. Granted, I did not have to do any firmware (FW) update. When the FW update comes out, I will make an Acronis 2010 (works great with W7, by the way) archive just in case.

It seems to me that formatting and partitioning are wasteful in time and NAND when doing a clean install to a virgin disk. Of course, all of this assumes that BIOS will see an unformatted drive. My HP dv5 (Torqx 128) and HP Mini 2133 (other vendor 64) both do.

By the way I installed W7 on the Mini (no optical drive) from a bootable W7 4gb SDHC that I made - very fast.